Sean Miller’s Contract

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Last I heard, boosters told Robbins that they would pull donations if they fired Miller. IF that's the case, with how empty the coffers are, it's gonna be hard to pony up much for a top-tier coach. Maybe he found another donor, but who knows.
I don’t know any of them personally but those seem like hollow threats for people who have some of their ego tied in the success of the program.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eric Mussellman and Tommy Lloyd
Hmm, he might be a great hire, but has Arizona fallen that far that it’s hiring assistant coaches instead of poaching the best young head coaches from
Mid majors?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not ONE Final Four in TWELVE years. He was an epic failure as far as I’m concerned. No great postseason success and leaves the program tarnished and in the mud.

good riddance to that sweat-stained, likely cheater-choke artist.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In a vacuum, Arizona >>>>>>>Arkansas, but due to pending sanctions and SEC money, might be tough
I’m curious for your reasons.

SEC and PAC are essentially equivalent conferences. Arkansas has had a strong program historically. Arkansas isn’t likely much different from Tucson in terms of geographical draw. Maybe recruiting some close to CA is an advantage for Arizona?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m curious for your reasons.

SEC and PAC are essentially equivalent conferences. Arkansas has had a strong program historically. Arkansas isn’t likely much different from Tucson in terms of geographical draw. Maybe recruiting some close to CA is an advantage for Arizona?

Brand name, plus I worked with a ton a Razorbacks back in the day and they really don't care too much about hoops. They'd sell their basketball team to inch closer to Alabama in football.

W/R/T conferences, the SEC has far more money than the PAC-12, so if it came down to money and only money, I'd bet Arkansas would win a competition for a coach.

Keep in mind - Arizona has been losing money for a couple of years paying off debt, just paid $7.5 mil to fire Sumlin, hired Fisch, and pissed off a few boosters this morning.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brand name, plus I worked with a ton a Razorbacks back in the day and they really don't care too much about hoops. They'd sell their basketball team to inch closer to Alabama in football.

W/R/T conferences, the SEC has far more money than the PAC-12, so if it came down to money and only money, I'd bet Arkansas would win a competition for a coach.

Keep in mind - Arizona has been losing money for a couple of years paying off debt, just paid $7.5 mil to fire Sumlin, hired Fisch, and pissed off a few boosters this morning.
This is why I got to believe the replacement will be from UA alum family much like UNC hiring Hubert Davis.

I think it ends up being Luke Walton. Young, has NBA head coaching experience, can sell the program, has name recognition (dad Bill). Can he recruit is the big question? It's one thing to hire a staff with recruiting connections but HC should be able to close deal with the high profile recruits.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
This is why I got to believe the replacement will be from UA alum family much like UNC hiring Hubert Davis.

I think it ends up being Luke Walton.

He's told people he's not interested

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Arizona family that would be considered:

Josh Pastner
Damon Stoudamire
Miles Simon
Matt Brase

Not exactly a list of names who are ready to coach at a program like Arizona

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's told people he's not interested
I didn't realize he was SAC coach. I can see why he would say that, timing is off. Chances are he will eventually get fired but UA will have their coach well before then.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I didn't realize he was SAC coach. I can see why he would say that, timing is off. Chances are he will eventually get fired but UA will have their coach well before then.

I don’t think Luke has the work ethic to recruit. To be fair, I don’t think Arizona would ever consider him for its HC position.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good lord... happened three years too late.

Looking back he should’ve been fired after the Buffalo game. Initially when the FBI stuff broke you still had Ayton coming in and Trier/Alkins coming back to give it a go. He recruited decently after that but the Mannion/Green class didn’t live up to the hype and I think that class was expected to bring the program back. Spoiler alert, they flamed out too.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Not ONE Final Four in TWELVE years. He was an epic failure as far as I’m concerned. No great postseason success and leaves the program tarnished and in the mud.

good riddance to that sweat-stained, likely cheater-choke artist.
What’s your outlook of Miller if Jamelle
Horne hits that three in 2011?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking back he should’ve been fired after the Buffalo game. Initially when the FBI stuff broke you still had Ayton coming in and Trier/Alkins coming back to give it a go. He recruited decently after that but the Mannion/Green class didn’t live up to the hype and I think that class was expected to bring the program back. Spoiler alert, they flamed out too.

I remember getting destroyed on this board for saying all of the above at the time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s your outlook of Miller if Jamelle
Horne hits that three in 2011?

He didn’t. And I don’t live in Fantasyland. Also, Miller had more chances to go to the Final Four, as higher seeds and choked those games away.

His teams were boring and even worse, after his first couple years when I did think he might bring the program back to prominence, consistent underachievers.

and again, he left the program in shambles.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
He didn’t. Fantasyland doesn’t really count for anything.

It’s challenging the binary thinking that his tenure at Arizona was a failure. Far lesser coaches than Miller have gone to the F4. Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie, Laranega (sp), Moser, and others. Miller won 73% of his games, the conference half of the time he was at Arizona, 3 Elite 8a, 3 COY and other tangible accolades. Would you trade all of that for one F4 appearance?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
He didn’t. And I don’t live in Fantasyland. Also, Miller had more chances to go to the Final Four, as higher seeds and choked those games away.

His teams were boring and even worse, after his first couple years when I did think he might bring the program back to prominence, consistent underachievers.

and again, he left the program in shambles.

You didn’t answer my question, but my guess would be if that bucket had gone in, or others, you’d be more forgiving and likely not call his tenure here an “epic failure,” which even for you is over the top

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
By the way - Barring a hiccup, this hiring process should be done relatively quickly. I think I know who it is, but a couple of courtesy interviews have to happen first

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
By the way - Barring a hiccup, this hiring process should be done relatively quickly. I think I know who it is, but a couple of courtesy interviews have to happen first

The president is a permanent hiccup. I think this thing will drag on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If it's who you think, I won't ask, will you be pleased considering the circumstances?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least some people think Beilein might be interested in the job. Terrific coach, great guy would bring instant respect. But he's 68 so short term hire. Does have a son and maybe they can do a coach in waiting deal or maybe an assistant in waiting kind of deal.

But for the short term would be a terrific hire, everyone respects Beilein as a coach and a person

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
If it's who you think, I won't ask, will you be pleased considering the circumstances?
I’m done getting excited about coaches before they manage a game. I’m numb at the moment. I felt confident that Miller went back to his roots to coach players who bought into his system as opposed to OADs. We’ll see