Reaction score
The Last Blockbuster

Release Date: December 15, 2020
Studio: PopMotion Pictures
Director: Taylor Morden
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Screenwriters: Zeke Kamm
Genre: Documentary

Starring: Sandi Harding, Kevin Smith, Ione Skye, Brian Posehn, Doug Benson, Paul Scheer, Samm Levine, Jamie Kennedy, Ron Funches, James Arnold Taylor, Lloyd Kaufman

Plot Summary: A documentary on the last remaining Blockbuster Video, located in Bend, Oregon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This was really entertaining. I miss going to the video store.

Same here. Record stores too. I used to love going to scottsdale video to rent movies. I got to know a few of the people that worked there and we'd always talk about movies for the non-mainstream picks and finds. You don't get the same vibe online.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. Record stores too. I used to love going to scottsdale video to rent movies. I got to know a few of the people that worked there and we'd always talk about movies for the non-mainstream picks and finds. You don't get the same vibe online.

Absolutely - many video and record stores would have a section of employee picks/favorites, staff to ask questions (is this really any good), etc.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to the video store on the weekends was a blast when we were kids. The era lasted a long time, through VHS to DVD is a long time.

Record stores on the other hand have had a bit of a resurgence. Nothing like the old days, but there is a heartbeat.

I'll need to check this out. Anyone have a copy on VHS I could borrow?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Record stores on the other hand have had a bit of a resurgence. Nothing like the old days, but there is a heartbeat.

Yeah, vinyl outsold cd's for the first time in a long time just last year, IIRC.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
One of my favorite memories is when my wife and I were dirt poor during the summer of 1996. We both took Tuesdays off so we could take our son to eat a late lunch / early dinner at an all you can eat buffet and get the lunch prices. Then we would stop by blockbuster on the way home because I think new releases were $0.99 on Tuesday. We'd kick back totally stuffed and watch our movie of the week. Good times!

This should be fun to watch.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The family enjoyed watching this. We have fond memories of Blockbuster.

We have very fond memories of video stores but Blockbuster was the evil empire as far as we were concerned. Still, we look back fondly at all the hours we spent browsing through movie stores, record shops, bookstores and most of all, Toys R Us. My son and I would go there every Wednesday to scour through the new releases to see if there was an NES title we'd like to play. But, progress, you know. I love to be able to stream music and movies, I love my Kindle and my son is in his mid 40's now and time moves on.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have very fond memories of video stores but Blockbuster was the evil empire as far as we were concerned. Still, we look back fondly at all the hours we spent browsing through movie stores, record shops, bookstores and most of all, Toys R Us. My son and I would go there every Wednesday to scour through the new releases to see if there was an NES title we'd like to play. But, progress, you know. I love to be able to stream music and movies, I love my Kindle and my son is in his mid 40's now and time moves on.

Similar. I remember we would go when new releases hit, search for movies but then stalk the return bin when we were there in the event someone dropped something off. I would then grab it and ask them to process it. Same with those little carts they had to put the movies back. When my kids were old enough to play games they used to rent games from there all the time. Both of them (one in college and the other a senior in H.S.) loved watching this. They both said it brought back memories of family trips.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Still holding out. I've never read an e-book.

Love actual books. Flipping pages. Using an actual bookmark. Old school. Have one entire room in our house set up as a library / WFH office for my wife.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Love actual books. Flipping pages. Using an actual bookmark. Old school. Have one entire room in our house set up as a library / WFH office for my wife.

I love books but there is just no comparison. I was skeptical but a friend talked me into giving it a try about a year after Kindle first hit the market. At the time I had almost 4,000 books (mostly paperbacks) taking up space in my house. I still miss bookstores and there are things I really miss about having actual physical books but you couldn't get me to switch back with a gun to my head. Of all the decisions I made reluctantly, this was by far the best one ever. I wouldn't recommend digital books for research or school work but for fiction lovers, it's the way to go IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Me too. I have started reading on my phone, because when I got hurt carrying physical books around just wasn't an option. I've enjoyed books on my phone, but not nearly as much.

I love books but there is just no comparison. I was skeptical but a friend talked me into giving it a try about a year after Kindle first hit the market. At the time I had almost 4,000 books (mostly paperbacks) taking up space in my house. I still miss bookstores and there are things I really miss about having actual physical books but you couldn't get me to switch back with a gun to my head. Of all the decisions I made reluctantly, this was by far the best one ever. I wouldn't recommend digital books for research or school work but for fiction lovers, it's the way to go IMO.

Nah, not for me. As I said, I was forced into it. I'll agree there is no comparison--physical books still win out, hands down, for me. But, hey, we don't have to live in a world of absolutes. I'll take both and be happy :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, not for me. As I said, I was forced into it. I'll agree there is no comparison--physical books still win out, hands down, for me. But, hey, we don't have to live in a world of absolutes. I'll take both and be happy :)

I think there's a place for both but if you're a heavy fiction reader, there is no contest IMO. If you just read a book or two a month from the bestseller list, I'd say stick with the physical copy if that's your preference. I buy at least a dozen books a month and have for many decades. I'd have had to buy a much larger house if I hadn't switched.

Also, when you read as much as I do, eye strain becomes a real issue and Kindle's screen reduces that strain. Plus, I wouldn't say my eyesight is failing, but it's not what it use to be. The ability to choose font and font size is a real blessing as I age.

And then there's going "green"...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Same. I think growing up in a house with two readers as parents and seeing their books had an impact on me. I love a great hardbound book. I make sure my books are displayed so my boys get that influence. Unfortunately Fortnite is the evil empire. Books don’t seem to stand a chance. I know I was reading Andre Norton and Michael Moorcock before 11 and my 11 year old - who had a brief flirtation with recreational reading - is now hopeless ensnared in Fortnite skins and emotes. I personally see zero value in the kids playing the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would only rarely find new authors if not for bookstores. I get random recommendations from friends from time to time but I love finding an intriguing book cover/title, reading the blurb and taking a chance on an author and falling in love with their writing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. I still buy newspapers. :)

#getoffmylawn

I switched away from newspapers a long time ago but I soon tired of the digital versions. So, I just ended up giving up on reading the news altogether, no way was I going back to the hassle (delivery issues, theft, paying the subscription, disposing of the old ones etc.) of daily papers. And I adjusted to it fine, after awhile the only thing I really missed was reading the boxscores. Reading the boxscores every morning had been a part of my daily routine since the early 60's and I still miss them.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t. But I have to admit, I enjoy reading them when I’m visiting my parents.

I'll grab the local Sunday paper for only $1 at Dollar Tree each week, but I'll grab a daily or a Sunday when we're out on the road. Kind of cool to read up on the different areas we're in (going to fairs and festivals around the state or in other states). Still love to do the crosswords and other puzzles, too.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I switched away from newspapers a long time ago but I soon tired of the digital versions. So, I just ended up giving up on reading the news altogether, no way was I going back to the hassle (delivery issues, theft, paying the subscription, disposing of the old ones etc.) of daily papers. And I adjusted to it fine, after awhile the only thing I really missed was reading the boxscores. Reading the boxscores every morning had been a part of my daily routine since the early 60's and I still miss them.
Love it or hate it, you can still do that digitally and more. You can see actual highlights to go with the box scores.

I personally have both. I love my ipad for reading, it's just more convenient. Like you, I don't have the space for all the physical books I have in boxes in my garage.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose