Booker Question

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s both. I think there’s no denying books got a big ego. Not saying he’s arrogant or a jerk, but I’ll bet that ego is plenty ginormous. Plus there aren’t many options for players that can create for themselves.

I don't think you get to that level without having a very healthy ego but IMO winning is the most important thing to him. I'm sure he's still young enough to forget that for a moment now and then, like when he goes too far with a referee, but I'm confident that winning is paramount. You'd think that would be the case with all of them but we know it isn't.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think you get to that level without having a very healthy ego but IMO winning is the most important thing to him. I'm sure he's still young enough to forget that for a moment now and then, like when he goes too far with a referee, but I'm confident that winning is paramount. You'd think that would be the case with all of them but we know it isn't.
I agree. But his ego may be such that he believes only he can win the game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. But his ego may be such that he believes only he can win the game.

Up until this year though he was the only one who could be trusted with the ball when the game is on the line. I think he'd be willing to defer to CP3 but I don't think Paul is that interested in being The Man with the game on the line anymore. He came here to be second fiddle to Booker not take things over entirely.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Up until this year though he was the only one who could be trusted with the ball when the game is on the line. I think he'd be willing to defer to CP3 but I don't think Paul is that interested in being The Man with the game on the line anymore. He came here to be second fiddle to Booker not take things over entirely.
That’s just it, there’s no need to have anyone take over if that’s not how your team is successful. That’s just reverting back to hero ball. Run your offense.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Jazz are very successful playing as a team within their structure. But even they resort to hero-ball with Mitchell (or Mitchell does it despite the plan) at the end of close games. On their forums they also lament Mitchell hero-ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On April 7th and 30th the Jazz visit so we will get another look at Mitchell and Booker side by side soon enough.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Jazz are very successful playing as a team within their structure. But even they resort to hero-ball with Mitchell (or Mitchell does it despite the plan) at the end of close games. On their forums they also lament Mitchell hero-ball.
It’s really something I don’t understand. I get it if you have Lebron James. I also get it if your offense is outta sync. But if your offense is working, just keep rolling with it through the end of the game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It’s really something I don’t understand. I get it if you have Lebron James. I also get it if your offense is outta sync. But if your offense is working, just keep rolling with it through the end of the game.

It's because of the fear of media/fan backlash. If your normal offense produces a shot for a lesser player and he doesn't deliver, everyone's going to say "Why did you draw up the play for so and so?"

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's because of the fear of media/fan backlash. If your normal offense produces a shot for a lesser player and he doesn't deliver, everyone's going to say "Why did you draw up the play for so and so?"
I get that, but would think hood coaches coach to win, not to avoid potential fan backlash.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I get that, but would think hood coaches coach to win, not to avoid potential fan backlash.

They want to remain employed, most of all.

It's the same with riding or "shutting down" hot hands. The data confirm that there's no such thing as a hot hand. The streaks that we see are in the same category as long runs of heads or tails that you'd get once in a while by flipping a coin. But fans are so committed to the hot hand concept that it has to be treated like a real phenomenon. It's a meta-strategy of managing second guessers, rather than a base-level strategy of doing what's best for the actual game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They want to remain employed, most of all.

It's the same with riding or "shutting down" hot hands. The data confirm that there's no such thing as a hot hand. The streaks that we see are in the same category as long runs of heads or tails that you'd get once in a while by flipping a coin. But fans are so committed to the hot hand concept that it has to be treated like a real phenomenon. It's a meta-strategy of managing second guessers, rather than a base-level strategy of doing what's best for the actual game.
I don't see how a hot streak of shooting is similar to flipping a coin. You have a lot more control over shooting a basketball than you do flipping a coin. Hot streaks in shooting have a lot to do with being in rhythm (more so than normal) and just having a good feel of how to release the ball every time. That being said forcing the ball to the hot hand could also just cause that guy to fall out of rhythm because he might start forcing shots.

The bigger issue is sending a guy to the bench for a long time when he had it rolling when he was on the floor. That is something that Monty needs to be better at.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are players that shoot well in a particular game and not in other games. It can relate to a player's confidence or them not seeing the basket well. It happens.

For example in the Hornets game one wouldn't want Crowder (0-9) or Cam Johnson (0-6) shooting threes in a close game down the stretch.

I think there is such a thing as shooting streaks where averages tell a different story than a single game performance.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't see how a hot streak of shooting is similar to flipping a coin. You have a lot more control over shooting a basketball than you do flipping a coin. Hot streaks in shooting have a lot to do with being in rhythm (more so than normal) and just having a good feel of how to release the ball every time.

Although that is all potentially true, statistical analysis has shown that a given player is not any more likely to make or miss his next shot depending on what his immediate past performance has been.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Although that is all potentially true, statistical analysis has shown that a given player is not any more likely to make or miss his next shot depending on what his immediate past performance has been.
Do we have statistical analysis that compares the next shot after making say 3 straight vs missing 3 straight? I would find it hard to believe that the FG% isn't higher for the 4th shot of a player that has made the last 3 vs missed the last 3. Especially if we are talking about 3s.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Do we have statistical analysis that compares the next shot after making say 3 straight vs missing 3 straight? I would find it hard to believe that the FG% isn't higher for the 4th shot of a player that has made the last 3 vs missed the last 3. Especially if we are talking about 3s.

Yes, I don't have access to it, but I've read secondary reports of it. The FG% is the same in each case ("the same" within the range statistical uncertainty, that is).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are players that shoot well in a particular game and not in other games. It can relate to a player's confidence or them not seeing the basket well. It happens.

For example in the Hornets game one wouldn't want Crowder (0-9) or Cam Johnson (0-6) shooting threes in a close game down the stretch.

I think there is such a thing as shooting streaks where averages tell a different story than a single game performance.

Some would argue that you want to let Cam and Crowder to shoot after going cold like that because they're due for a make. I'm not saying its right, or wrong, but it can be argued both ways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some would argue that you want to let Cam and Crowder to shoot after going cold like that because they're due for a make. I'm not saying its right, or wrong, but it can be argued both ways.

Knicks fans would beg to differ after John Stark's epic disaster in Game 7 of the Finals where he shot 0-11 from 3 and 2-18 overall.:D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stats may say this on average but these are usually calculated over the course of the season or stretch of the season.

Streak shooters like Eddie Johnson could change over the course of a game usually after being taken out and later being reinserted after a substitution.

However, nothing in the Hornets game hinted that Cam or Crowder were going to turn it around.

The thing that most often turns it around is driving the ball to the basket and getting some layups but neither were doing any of that. Seeing the ball go through the basket seems to help.

There may also have been tangible reasons not readily obvious. Things like lighting, referees, a particular defender, confidence level or an arena can throw a player off for a particular game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Knicks fans would beg to differ after John Stark's epic disaster in Game 7 of the Finals where he shot 0-11 from 3 and 2-18 overall.:D

I think it's likely that some people choke up under highly stressful circumstances, like Nick Anderson's four missed free throws, which otherwise had a probability of around 1%. But those are a miniscule percentage of the cases where someone is perceived to be "cold," and not enough to move the full data set.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Book's abundant scoring was critical these last 2 games, but again...

both he and Monty need to get serious
he's the 10th best 3 pt shooter on the team
we needed 1 point to win in regulation
he had no business taking a 3 after not making one all night
AND
Paul is one of the best free throw shooter's in the league
while Book hasn't been at his best at the line this season
why was he given the ball when we needed 2 free throws to ice the overtime the first time?

Monty should make the call
but if Booker wants to lead, and win, he should volunteer to defer to Paul for free throws
(and share more clutch shooting assignments)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AND
why was he given the ball when we needed 2 free throws to ice the overtime the first time?

but if Booker wants to lead, and win, he should volunteer to defer to Paul for free throws

i just wish they’d vary it a little more between the two guys. Paul is either going to get that 17 footer or find an open guy. It gives us multiple possibilities at the end of games. With Book, it’s just going to be one on one. He’s not a good enough passer nor does he have the consistent ability to attack and dish to get someone an open shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AND

You make some great points. It's something Booker needs to learn.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Booker seems to play really well vs bad teams. Maybe it’s just the recent stretch. Playoffs require greatness.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AND

Why don't you post during game threads or about anything else? All you do is show up and complain about Booker, even when we win. You are just like your buddy 1Sun, trying to keep others from enjoying the Suns as a whole.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose