Who could the Suns add to the roster that would help?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wanted Whiteside this offseason and he is wasting away on SAC bench. He's a perfect candidate but I've read the Lakers may make a run at him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a good rumor. I think the Suns getting Andre Drummond is a reach.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched Drummond a lot. If the Suns were able to sign Drummond could he fit long term?

I'm only throwing it out there because I don't know. Ayton is up for an extension next season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a good rumor. I think the Suns getting Andre Drummond is a reach.

That would be great, I just don't see how you make the money work without really disrupting this roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be great, I just don't see how you make the money work without really disrupting this roster.

Drummond would have to be bought out to make it work which seems unlikely with the Celtics having a large trade exception.

It's only something to kick around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drummond would have to be bought out to make it work which seems unlikely with the Celtics having a large trade exception.

It's only something to kick around.

It's the acquisition that intrigues me the most, I'm just not sure how to make it happen. I can't see him being bought out, he still has real value IMO and he's only 27. In a two team trade, I think it would take something like Ayton, Crowder, Carter, Moore, Galloway and Kaminsky to make it happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the acquisition that intrigues me the most, I'm just not sure how to make it happen. I can't see him being bought out, he still has real value IMO and he's only 27. In a two team trade, I think it would take something like Ayton, Crowder, Carter, Moore, Galloway and Kaminsky to make it happen.

Drummond would have to be bought out for it to happen so it's highly unlikely.

It's hard to imagine the Suns doing such a trade while they are playing so well. If they really like Drummond they could go after him in free agency. I don't want to think about extending Ayton until after the season.

The Suns probably will look to add a big man content to be a role player. Someone like JaVale McGee makes more sense if he is bought out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drummond will be bought out eventually. No one will trade for him other than Boston, with their trade exception and some 2nd rounders. He'll probably play for cheap next season also but with the league trending back towards bigs, he'll probably be able to sign one more big deal before he's 30 but it won't be a max like deal that he's making now.

The Pistons said they weren't going to buy out Blake and they'd find a trade for him but bought him out a week later. He had another full year on his contract that will be about $35 million in dead cap space for Detroit next season.

I believe Drummond has more value but its just a sign of how the league is now. Veterans get bought out when they're expiring now more than they get dealt.

If the Suns can sign him to backup Ayton and push him in practice then they'd be fools not to.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Drummond is bought out, there is a good chance of getting him. Will watch this one. Yes, Ainge has a trade exception, but Ainge tends to ask for the moon and then get left out in the cold.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So the big men rumors I've read are Drummond, McGee & Whiteside. I think Whiteside makes the most sense if we are just looking at a stop gap. Drummond would be more of long term guy still being in his prime.

Even if Drummond is bought out, you have competition from other contenders plus PHX only has bi-annual exception to offer so the challenges of money and having to come off bench may not appeal to him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chances are Drummond is only after a deal with a contender this season. He'll seek out a contract to get paid this offseason. Money isn't much of an issue since he's making $28 million from his contract this year. Signing him would be like signing Tim Thomas back in the day. He's a veteran who is in his prime with a lot to offer still. He'd mainly sign here to play a role and show other teams he's still got a lot to offer and chase a title.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chances are Drummond is only after a deal with a contender this season. He'll seek out a contract to get paid this offseason. Money isn't much of an issue since he's making $28 million from his contract this year. Signing him would be like signing Tim Thomas back in the day. He's a veteran who is in his prime with a lot to offer still. He'd mainly sign here to play a role and show other teams he's still got a lot to offer and chase a title.

If we were able to sign Drummond his presence here would likely make Ayton play a lot harder or play a lot less.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were able to sign Drummond his presence here would likely make Ayton play a lot harder or play a lot less.

If it didn't make him play harder? His prospects of reaching his full potential drop significantly without serious counseling.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton needs serious competition for his minutes. If the office doesnt bring someone in to challenge him before he becomes a free agent then they risk making a huge investment in someone who has never been properly tested.

Drummond would be a cheap option this season. I know the sample size wouldn't be that large but it should open Ayton's eyes. The kid has never truly worked to earn his spot since he's started playing basketball. Didn't do it at UofA and hasn't done it here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No mention about the Suns pursuing a player in this tweet. Perhaps someone subscribes to The Athletic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The question is whether the Suns would make sense for Drummond. The answer to that is yes. Drummond has to look at Ayton and believe that he can supplant him in the starting lineup. Drummond starting on a playoff team alongside Booker and Paul would do wonders for his career.

Of course, with AD out the Lakers make sense too.

It all depends on whether he gets bought out or not.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope suns could aquire Drummond much perfer him over blake griffin

Paul and Drummond sounds nice for play offs and no season collapse

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like I have said from day one, this team needs a legitimate athletic defensive power forward who can bang and/or rim-protect inside. This has been the team's biggest need two years running, and James Jones has done nothing...other than draft a project who is at least 2-3 years from contributing...to even attempt to fill it.

It is no coincidence that Ayton is more effective in the rare instance where he is paired with Saric. The problem is that in order for Saric to be effective, he has to play the 5 since he still does not have the athleticism to play the 4.

Ayton cannot hold down the fort inside by himself. That much should be obvious to everyone by now.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Do you guys think Aaron gordon would fit? He might me too rich for the Suns to make a trade for. I don’t mind Aldridge because he’s a decent PnR guy but no defense. Drummond would be nice off the bench. The Suns can’t win the playoffs with just DA as interior defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone disagrees the Suns need a more athletic, defensive minded power forward.

When the Suns get production at the 4 they are a much better team. This is why the Suns have played better with Kaminsky at power forward even though he is more of a center. Saric can provide the same boost in stretches but he is more of a small ball center. When Crowder is hitting outside threes, he masks the problem.

Could the Suns make do with another center?

I think the answer is yes but the Suns will have to rotate their big men depending upon match-ups. Bottom line, Suns need more depth at the 4/5. All one has to do is see what a big front line can do to the Suns like Turner and Sabonis.

In the playoffs, the need will be magnified.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone disagrees the Suns need a more athletic, defensive minded power forward.

When the Suns get production at the 4 they are a much better team. This is why the Suns have played better with Kaminsky at power forward even though he is more of a center. Saric can provide the same boost in stretches but he is more of a small ball center. When Crowder is hitting outside threes, he masks the problem.

Could the Suns make do with another center?

I think the answer is yes but the Suns will have to rotate their big men depending upon match-ups. Bottom line, Suns need more depth at the 4/5. All one has to do is see what a big front line can do to the Suns like Turner and Sabonis.

In the playoffs, the need will be magnified.

I think it's fair to say after the acquisition of CP3 many of us said as much about shoring up the PF as a need still. I have seen the other thread about possible acquisitions but to be honest, I have not been following many of the players mentioned this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say after the acquisition of CP3 many of us said as much about shoring up the PF as a need still. I have seen the other thread about possible acquisitions but to be honest, I have not been following many of the players mentioned this year.

Some players to look towards becoming available are: JaVale McGee, Andre Drummond, DeMarcus Cousins (already available), LaMarcus Aldridge and some G-League players. I'm sure there will be more as the March 25th trade deadline nears.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No mention about the Suns pursuing a player in this tweet. Perhaps someone subscribes to The Athletic.

I think I'm going to lose it if James Jones stands pat again with such an obvious need in the front court.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I have said from day one, this team needs a legitimate athletic defensive power forward who can bang and/or rim-protect inside. This has been the team's biggest need two years running, and James Jones has done nothing...other than draft a project who is at least 2-3 years from contributing...to even attempt to fill it.

It is no coincidence that Ayton is more effective in the rare instance where he is paired with Saric. The problem is that in order for Saric to be effective, he has to play the 5 since he still does not have the athleticism to play the 4.

Ayton cannot hold down the fort inside by himself. That much should be obvious to everyone by now.

You also said that CP3 was done, that Cam Johnson can't shoot, than Saric shouldn't be in the league and that Booker has quit on the team.

We're also one of the 5 best defensive teams in the league.

When Jones wins Executive of the Year in a landslide from what hole will hot air fly out of you?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I’d take Hassan Whiteside. Mobile defender with block shots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose