Restructuring contracts

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this to be very interesting on some players that we cut or restructure. The article states a cap of 185 but that is up for debate. But it is a good read.

The Cardinals have few options for players they can restructure to create 2021 cap space
With the Cardinals having limited salary cap space in 2021, they also have a number of free agents they need to re-sign or replace. Those free agents include Kenyan Drake, Patrick Peterson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Haason Reddick.

D.J. Humphries presents the most lucrative option for opening up salary cap space in 2021
The 2021 NFL season sees Humphries set to count $19.9 million against the 2021 salary cap for the Cardinals. $19.4 million of that is guaranteed, so the Cardinals’ only real option would be a restructure. They could turn $14.5 million of his base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus. That would save the Cardinals $7.1 million in salary cap space in 2021.

However, any restructure the Cardinals do would make it more difficult for the Cardinals to release Humphries after 2021 if they wanted to.

Could the Cardinals look to clear some cap space in 2021 by restructuring Jordan Phillips’ deal?
Ahead of the 2020 NFL season, Jordan Phillips signed a three-year, $30 million contract. In 2021, he is set to count $12 million against the Cardinals’ salary cap. Of that $12 million, $10 million is base salary, which the Cardinals could convert around $9 million to a signing bonus. That would see the Cardinals save $6 million in salary cap space.

Related | Will Larry Fitzgerald retire in 2021? Looking back on his 17-year career

However, if the Cardinals wanted to release him after this season, it would increase the cost to $10 million in dead money.

Which other players could the Cardinals look to restructure?
While their options are limited, the Cardinals could restructure a number of smaller deals. Let’s take a look at some of the other contracts the Cardinals could restructure to clear salary cap space in 2021.

• Budda Baker, S – Salary cap savings: $2.3 million
  • DeAndre Hopkins, WR – Salary cap savings: $2.8 million
  • Devon Kennard, EDGE – Salary cap savings: $3.5 million
  • Jordan Hicks, OLB – Salary cap savings: $2.3 million
  • Kyler Murray, QB – Salary cap savings: $1.5 million

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/arizona-cardinals-salary-cap-situation-2021/

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I love it. I don't want Keim to screw over the future for a decade...but I am ok with saying our best window for a SB is in the next 2-3 years and we need to go "all in".

Restructure guys, take advantage of any mid-level vets that sign cheap due to the pandemic, and try to get us deep in the playoffs over the next 2 years. If we aren't a contender by then, we are getting a new coach and GM anyway.

OP
OP
Cards Czar

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can still increase our cap space if we extend C. Jones. Take his 2021 base 15.5M, keep 1.5 of base, take the other 14.5M and turn it into a signing bonus. Extend him for 2 more yrs. That would create 9.66M cap decrease.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t think they should touch Phillips’ deal. If they restructure it would likely make cutting him borderline impossible next year like it would be this year. CJ is the easy one.

This may spell the end for Kennard though.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Seeing this thread makes me more optimistic that we can still tag Reddick post JJ Watt signing.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is not giving Reddick $15+ mil next season. Tag is off the table.
Agree, Reddick is gone. He will make more money elsewhere. Cards need the $$$ left for other positions like CB, OL and WR.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think they should touch Phillips’ deal. If they restructure it would likely make cutting him borderline impossible next year like it would be this year. CJ is the easy one.

This may spell the end for Kennard though.

I think Kennard's future is potentially tied to whether Reddick stays or goes.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Golden has been the better player overall compared to Reddick. He would cost less than 40% of what Reddick will get.

Watt + Golden > Reddick

Reactions: PJ1

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keep Golden, see what the market bears with Reddick and make a smart business decision and do not over pay. Cut Alford and Kennard, along with some key contract restructuring and we should have decent amount of $ to get 2-3 key spots filled in FA.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This team is not giving Reddick $15+ mil next season. Tag is off the table.
You can justify the transition tag at 13 though it could limit some other areas. It is easy to forget that even if Golden and Reddick cost 17 mil combined, cutting Kennard as a post-june (you get two) offsets that by 6.6. You are really only adding 10 mil for those two guys. The problem with either tag is that you can't spread the hit. That is honestly the same issue as Larry's contract the past couple years. One year deals are great but they limit your cap flexibility.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Larry does come back, I expect a similar contract structure to Devondre Campbell's last year. Pay him 8 but push some of it to dead money next year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can justify the transition tag at 13 though it could limit some other areas. It is easy to forget that even if Golden and Reddick cost 17 mil combined, cutting Kennard as a post-june (you get two) offsets that by 6.6. You are really only adding 10 mil for those two guys. The problem with either tag is that you can't spread the hit. That is honestly the same issue as Larry's contract the past couple years. One year deals are great but they limit your cap flexibility.

I'm all for a Transition Tag that gives the Cards more time to negotiate a new deal with Reddick, if possible. As for Fitz they can structure a deal over two years as they did with Campbell to retain flexibility in 2021.

2021: $5m
2022: $6m

Or 1 and 10 if they so desire.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys keep talking about Keim doing all this creative accounting and cap moves... which are talked about almost every offseason and which almost never happen.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler signing an extension is all expect with creative cap moves. Alford probably cut. That’s about it.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler signing an extension is all expect with creative cap moves. Alford probably cut. That’s about it.

Voidable years.

They can turn JJ's two year deal into a 3, 4, 5 for cap purposes.

There is virtually no end to the creativity if need be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Voidable years.

They can turn JJ's two year deal into a 3, 4, 5 for cap purposes.

There is virtually no end to the creativity if need be.

I’m aware of this. We just rarely see our GM be that creative in making cap room.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm all for a Transition Tag that gives the Cards more time to negotiate a new deal with Reddick, if possible. As for Fitz they can structure a deal over two years as they did with Campbell to retain flexibility in 2021.

2021: $5m
2022: $6m

Or 1 and 10 if they so desire.

The transition tag is still too much to pay for Reddick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave