Superman reboot (aka a Black Superman story)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write New Superman Movie for Warner Bros.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...s-to-write-new-superman-movie-for-warner-bros

J.J. Abrams is producing the feature, which according to sources, is being set up as a Black Superman story.

Acclaimed essayist and novelist Ta-Nehisi Coates has been hired to pen the script for a feature reboot of Superman that will be produced by J.J. Abrams.

“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” said Coates in a statement to website Shadow and Act, a website dedicated to the African diaspora in the arts. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America's most iconic mythic hero."

“There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told. We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity,” said J.J. Abrams in the statement to S&A.

More at the link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...s-to-write-new-superman-movie-for-warner-bros

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until I saw Into the Spiderverse, I was very hung up on keeping characters to their original source material. Peter Parker was Spiderman.

And then he both was and wasn't and the story was still excellent. That can happen here too.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Until I saw Into the Spiderverse, I was very hung up on keeping characters to their original source material. Peter Parker was Spiderman.

And then he both was and wasn't and the story was still excellent. That can happen here too.

Spiderverse had a good writer though and wasn't saddled with the destroyer of franchises Jar Jar Abrams. Coates I'll give some slack to since he might write something good. His comic books weren't that good but he was acclaimed for some of his non-fiction work. It might not be on him either once his script stops getting marked up. The final might not look like anything he wrote.

Jar Jar is the bigger problem. I really don't want that guy around anything I like anymore. All he's going to give us is a lot of lens flair, quick cuts, and everything moving at a breakneck speed to try to make us not realize there's no substance.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's nothing groundbreaking for DC.

A black Superman has been around since 1993. John Henry Irons aka Steel. One of the 4 who "replaced" Superman after Doomsday "killed" him in the comics.

You must be registered for see images

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nothing groundbreaking for DC.

A black Superman has been around since 1993. John Henry Irons aka Steel. One of the 4 who "replaced" Superman after Doomsday "killed" him in the comics.

Ironically I just watched that animated movie on HBO Max. Lack of new Marvel stuff has me going through the DC catalog since it is free

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The DC extended universe stuff is confusing, I much prefer they way Marvel is handling things they at least seem to try to tie their stuff together. Rumor is the upcoming Dr Strange movie is going to go even further by introducing the "Multiverse" and bringing other characters together (like the X-Men characters and maybe the Netflix heroes too).

I wish they'd just introduce a new character with similar abilities in the universe that already has the movie Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc than do a reboot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am all for the multiverse thing if it's done cohesively. The DC movie franchises are a complete mess. Everything feels patched together with duck tape. This is just going to make it worse.

As huge a DC fan I am? If feels weird to say that I feel like Marvel is the only one that can pull off an organic story line that opens up the multiverse without making it a complete unmitigated mess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose