Jalen Smith...how you doing in the g league?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think “drafting for need” is the bad part of James Jones that we will need to get use to and come to expect. Hopefully we will get to the point where our team is deep enough that there will be no glaring position of need and Jones will be forced to take the best player available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think “drafting for need” is the bad part of James Jones that we will need to get use to and come to expect. Hopefully we will get to the point where our team is deep enough that there will be no glaring position of need and Jones will be forced to take the best player available.

I thought James Jones was really into NBA ready players. Jalen Smith has skills but his body is not NBA ready.

Once the Suns passed on Haliburton I thought they would trade down. Maybe there were no opportunities.

If he wanted a power forward ready to play now Precious Achiuwa or Isaiah Stewart would have been better candidates

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks.

It doesn't sound like anything new. Hindsight is 20/20. Drafting Haliburton was a no-brainer.

Most of the players in the G-League are there because they are not ready to play in the NBA... maybe never.

The G-League does not create the problem or cause players to perform poorly. It helps them get game experience and gives them a chance to mature.

It's pretty obvious with the Suns players mentioned above needed the G-League.
If drafting Haliburton was a “no brained” (which I agree with) it’s not a case of 20-20 hindsight. It’s a case of confirmation that james jones blew the pick.

now mind you, I’m not saying this is a fait accompli - Jalen is young and hasn’t had much experience/coaching at the nba level yet - even if I’m somewhat pessimistic of his chances of having anything more than competent role player as his ceiling (and not even confident he’ll reach that) - there’s a still a chance for jones to be proven right here. The issue being there was obvious pick at a position of need (pgotf) and he passed on it, and right now it looks like a whiff.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If drafting Haliburton was a “no brained” (which I agree with) it’s not a case of 20-20 hindsight. It’s a case of confirmation that james jones blew the pick.

now mind you, I’m not saying this is a fait accompli - Jalen is young and hasn’t had much experience/coaching at the nba level yet - even if I’m somewhat pessimistic of his chances of having anything more than competent role player as his ceiling (and not even confident he’ll reach that) - there’s a still a chance for jones to be proven right here. The issue being there was obvious pick at a position of need (pgotf) and he passed on it, and right now it looks like a whiff.

I do think Haliburton was the obvious choice for the Suns.

However, Haliburton shouldn't have been there at #10 so the rumor he would only play for the Kings might have some truth to it. I'm not sure if he could have gone back to school or not.

My concern about Jalen Smith (who I liked pre-draft) has nothing to do with his skills or work ethic. For me it's a question if his body can carry enough weight for him to be effective in the NBA. Right now, I have serious questions about it. His ability to shoot is the least of my concerns. He was a good shooter in college.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hali was as near a unanimous pick on this forum as I can remember leading up to a draft. I’m still kinda shocked they didn’t trade back, pick up an asset and still get Smith or Stewart/Achiuwa.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jalen Smith was a need but Cam Johnson was not, at all. We didn't need a wing and that's part of why that pick was bashed like it was. We already had Oubre and Mikal here. We did need shooters but that's different and in no way do I think drafting a top collegiate shooter is drafting for need. Ty Jerome wasn't a reach or a bad pick either, he just didn't pan out. I don't think that there were better players in the board at that time that made that selection look like a pick for need either.

So in 3 picks, Jones only made 1 of the selections ignoring BPA and drafting to fill a hole on the roster. I wouldn't consider "drafting for need" Jones MO.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Jalen Smith was a need but Cam Johnson was not, at all. We didn't need a wing and that's part of why that pick was bashed like it was. We already had Oubre and Mikal here. We did need shooters but that's different and in no way do I think drafting a top collegiate shooter is drafting for need. Ty Jerome wasn't a reach or a bad pick either, he just didn't pan out. I don't think that there were better players in the board at that time that made that selection look like a pick for need either.

So in 3 picks, Jones only made 1 of the selections ignoring BPA and drafting to fill a hole on the roster. I wouldn't consider "drafting for need" Jones MO.
Before the draft Jones listed “outside shooting” as one of the three biggest team needs and many times specified “shooting from the wing position”, with the other two being point guard and power forward. During that draft he acquired a PF (Saric) and drafted a PG (Jerome) and a shooter (Cam). I remembered afterwards being a little amazed that, for those paying attention, he pretty said what his plan was and ended filling what he considered his 3 biggest needs through the draft.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I do think we screwed up passing on Haliburton, who was supposed to be off the board by the time we picked, for Jalen, but time will tell. Haliburton might be a ROY contender if not for LeMelo's outstanding play. He'll certainly be on the 1st team all-rookie.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave