Jalen Smith...how you doing in the g league?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Jalen went scoreless today (0-6), had 4 rebounds and 1 assist in the loss by the Agua Caliente Clippers to the Lakeland Magic.

He played 15 minutes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not sure I know the percentage but anyone who plays like this in the G League, D League, XYZ League, whatever they want to call it.......... Doesn't get consistent minutes in the NBA for very long.

I'm sure the success rate is very small to begin with. But not dominating (or atleast being a top player on his own team) seems a bit troubling to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I know the percentage but anyone who plays like this in the G League, D League, XYZ League, whatever they want to call it.......... Doesn't get consistent minutes in the NBA for very long.

I'm sure the success rate is very small to begin with. But not dominating (or atleast being a top player on his own team) seems a bit troubling to me.

Jalen's lack of production in the G-League concerns me as well, particularly the type of shots he is taking (propensity to shoot threes) and whether his body build will allow him to play inside in the NBA.

Playing in the NBA G-League is not the concern. See who has played in G-League in the right hand margin at the link below.

https://gleague.nba.com/

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Jalen's lack of production in the G-League concerns me as well, particularly the type of shots he is taking (propensity to shoot threes) and whether his body build will allow him to play inside in the NBA.

Playing in the NBA G-League is not the concern. See who has played in G-League in the right hand margin at the link below.

https://gleague.nba.com/
I would roughly say that it is about 30 players down that right margin. And I'm not getting worked up about many of them. but at least there is a low % chance that he turns into a serviceable something. If he becomes a Siakam, that would be the needle IMO, not the haystack.

A record 45% of players on start-of-season NBA rosters have played in the G League.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can see it already Jalen getting hammered by this board. The Suns are a three point shooting team the center has other duties then scoring 25 a night.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen went scoreless today (0-6), had 4 rebounds and 1 assist in the loss by the Agua Caliente Clippers to the Lakeland Magic.

He played 15 minutes.
Dang hope play better next gm i really want smith to transform into a solid rotation def type

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see it already Jalen getting hammered by this board. The Suns are a three point shooting team the center has other duties then scoring 25 a night.

I don't think he is a center. He is a power forward and he is going to sink or swim at that.

He just doesn't have the necessary size or strength to play center.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve just remained relatively silent on Jalen. I was disappointed we didn’t take Haliburton when he was sitting there for us. And I know all the “he wanted to go to Sacramento” talk. But that kid had zero leverage. I hoped Jalen would be diamond in the rough but I was concerned enough predraft that I voiced the fact that maybe he wouldn’t be athletic enough or have enough lower body strength to be an impact player at the nba level. I’m still hoping for the best, but his latest streak and what I saw during his small spurts with the suns have only added to my concerns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he is a center. He is a power forward and he is going to sink or swim at that.

He just doesn't have the necessary size or strength to play center.

I think he can play C on D but its not his strong suit. Hes been compared to Ibaka and I think there is something to that. It'll be a while before he can be the Ibaka that's played in Toronto recently. Even in OKC, Ibaka wasn't much of a small ball C. He was a weak side shot blocker and that's what Smith was in college.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve just remained relatively silent on Jalen. I was disappointed we didn’t take Haliburton when he was sitting there for us. And I know all the “he wanted to go to Sacramento” talk. But that kid had zero leverage. I hoped Jalen would be diamond in the rough but I was concerned enough predraft that I voiced the fact that maybe he wouldn’t be athletic enough or have enough lower body strength to be an impact player at the nba level. I’m still hoping for the best, but his latest streak and what I saw during his small spurts with the suns have only added to my concerns.

IIRC, there seemed to be a general consensus on the forum that Haliburton should be the pick at #10 if he fell that far. It was a surprise to see him available at that slot. He looks to be a future star.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I don’t see him as ever being a star, but my hope is that at some point (hopefully sooner than later) Smith can play a pumped up version of the role that Kaminsky has been playing over the last 10ish games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see him as ever being a star, but my hope is that at some point (hopefully sooner than later) Smith can play a pumped up version of the role that Kaminsky has been playing over the last 10ish games.

That's a very realistic goal. If he can't do that by next season then I'd say he's a bust.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

It's been a while since the Suns have drafted a raw prospect so high, unless you count Bender. Smith won't be able to contribute this year, but I don't think that's a fair bar for him. He hasn't hit his 21st birthday yet.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's been a while since the Suns have drafted a raw prospect so high, unless you count Bender. Smith won't be able to contribute this year, but I don't think that's a fair bar for him. He hasn't hit his 21st birthday yet.
Bender, chriss, josh Jackson all pretty raw.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Jalen is that raw, he just needs to mature physically. He seemed to have a knack for being in the right spot to get a bunch of blocks in college and he also has good mechanics on his jump shot. Of course he can learn more but I don't think his knowledge of the game will keep him from having a career.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Jalen is that raw, he just needs to mature physically. He seemed to have a knack for being in the right spot to get a bunch of blocks in college and he also has good mechanics on his jump shot. Of course he can learn more but I don't think his knowledge of the game will keep him from having a career.

I'm not sure how much weight Jalen can add to his lower body. His frame will likely always be an issue. Watching highlight video is no substitute for seeing a player in a live game.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would say if you are expecting an 18 and 12 guy then you are going to be disappointed. Smith's NBA calling card will be rebounding and defense with his mobility and motor. I don't think he will a scorer but on this team he won't need to be that, hell Ayton isn't even a scoring threat on this team.

I think it will take a couple of years to develop him but we've got the right team assembled to where he won't and shouldn't need to be rushed. That's why I am hoping he comes back to the team soon because he can learn a lot from the veterans on this roster in practice and on the road instead of playing with a bunch of teenagers in the G League.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Bender, chriss, josh Jackson all pretty raw.

I'd forgotten about Josh Jackson. At the time, I thought Chriss was expected to be more NBA-ready, but I really don't pay much attention to the draft, so I could easily be wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have ESPN+ to tell us more about this story?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Does anyone have ESPN+ to tell us more about this story?

Essentially saying first round picks should be concerned as they are being exposed in g league when you get prospects come in and play on ignite teams and become much more draftable. Sadly four of the players picked out as poster boys for this are (I kid you not):

josh Jackson
Bender
Chriss
Ty Jerome
and . . . the first named 1st rounder from this year . . .

Jalen Smith (No. 10 pick, Phoenix Suns) -- This was a surprising pick on draft night (especially with Tyrese Haliburton on the board) and Smith's play in the NBA preseason, the regular season and now on assignment in the G League isn't encouraging thus far. He's posting a 48% true shooting percentage through six games and struggling badly defensively, having a very difficult time standing out from regular G Leaguers, despite being one of the best big men in college basketball at Maryland last season. Finding a position to defend, as well as some consistency with his jumper (he's 8-of-37 for 3 on the season thus far) will be important first steps.

also ASFN darling of some, tyrell terry is called out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Essentially saying first round picks should be concerned as they are being exposed in g league when you get prospects come in and play on ignite teams and become much more draftable. Sadly four of the players picked out as poster boys for this are (I kid you not):

josh Jackson
Bender
Chriss
Ty Jerome

Jalen Smith (No. 10 pick, Phoenix Suns) -- This was a surprising pick on draft night (especially with Tyrese Haliburton on the board) and Smith's play in the NBA preseason, the regular season and now on assignment in the G League isn't encouraging thus far. He's posting a 48% true shooting percentage through six games and struggling badly defensively, having a very difficult time standing out from regular G Leaguers, despite being one of the best big men in college basketball at Maryland last season. Finding a position to defend, as well as some consistency with his jumper (he's 8-of-37 for 3 on the season thus far) will be important first steps.

I wanted Patrick Williams but Terry intrigued me too. I haven't paid attention to either player since the draft and I'm disappointed to see that Terry has bombed, I thought his offseason work had really paid off for him. But regardless, I still think that Jalen has a future in this league.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

josh Jackson
Bender
Chriss
Ty Jerome

Thanks.

It doesn't sound like anything new. Hindsight is 20/20. Drafting Haliburton was a no-brainer.

Most of the players in the G-League are there because they are not ready to play in the NBA... maybe never.

The G-League does not create the problem or cause players to perform poorly. It helps them get game experience and gives them a chance to mature.

It's pretty obvious with the Suns players mentioned above needed the G-League.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose