Tom & Jerry

Release Date: February 26, 2021
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Tim Story
MPAA Rating: PG for cartoon violence, rude humor and brief language
Screenwriter: Eric Gravning
Genre: Animation, Family

Starring: Chloe Grace Moretz, Michael Pena, Colin Jost

Plot Summary: Adaptation of the classic Hanna-Barbera property, which reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Lol... pretty sure you’re not the target audience for this one, Stout!

If I was a kid, I would not be interested. Just looks awful.

God, reminds me of when I was...lol...trying to make it as an actor. I moved to NYC for like 3 weeks and was flat busted. I got a few bucks from a gig and decided to treat myself to a movie. When I got there, there was a free ticket to Alvin and the Chipmunks...2? 3? still in the machine. I couldn't pass up a free movie at that point. Turns out, I paid too much lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It worked for the Smurfs. And what exactly is a kids movie that ISN’T passable? Do you have kids Stout?

I do not. If I did, I'd want them to watch the real Tom ad Jerry. But, that's neither here nor there. You make a good point--kids will watch pretty much anything like that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I do not. If I did, I'd want them to watch the real Tom ad Jerry. But, that's neither here nor there. You make a good point--kids will watch pretty much anything like that.
Absolutely. I would love if every movie was the quality of Pixar and Disney, but sadly they aren’t.

we live in a world where Barney and Caillou are green lit.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A beloved comedy? Really? Come on Stout. :)

Well...

Tom & Jerry was the highest-grossing animated short film series in the 60s, beating 'Looney Tunes'.

The Tom and Jerry series won more Academy Awards than any other animated series - 7 Academy Awards for Best Animated Short Film.

I'd say that's above average.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well...

Tom & Jerry was the highest-grossing animated short film series in the 60s, beating 'Looney Tunes'.

The Tom and Jerry series won more Academy Awards than any other animated series - 7 Academy Awards for Best Animated Short Film.

Is it beloved though? Success doesn’t always measure quality.

What a stupid argument, but I’ll give it to you and Stout.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well...

Wow. I had no idea. That’s crazy. All see a cat and mouse do terrible things to each other.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was a kid, I would not be interested. Just looks awful.

God, reminds me of when I was...lol...trying to make it as an actor. I moved to NYC for like 3 weeks and was flat busted. I got a few bucks from a gig and decided to treat myself to a movie. When I got there, there was a free ticket to Alvin and the Chipmunks...2? 3? still in the machine. I couldn't pass up a free movie at that point. Turns out, I paid too much lol

those movies made a lot of money, Stout. I only know this because I wrote with a writing team and who wrote them and they were RICH.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Tom and Jerry. Still do. "Touche, pussycat!"

Me too except for the Gene Deitch era. I don't have a problem with them making this movie though as I'm clearly not their audience anymore. For me, T&J stopped being T&J many years ago.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it beloved though? Success doesn’t always measure quality.

What a stupid argument, but I’ll give it to you and Stout.

Beloved? It's not? Seriously, I don't know anybody I grew up with that didn't love Tom & Jerry. I would say that fits the definition. Having said that, Stout isn't the target audience as you stated.

We watched it and were pleasantly surprised. It's not going to get mistaken for a Pixar movie but it was entertaining and the kids really liked it. They also brought back some of the gags I remembered as a kid.

I really don't see a problem with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose