Best Players Available for Trade on Cap Strapped Teams

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats how free agency works. People get paid more than they are worth now in the hope they are value at the end of the deal. I'm just being realistic.

Here's the problem. You say he's better than anyone we've had the last 3 years but based on what? I'd guess it's based on his great rookie season which he has been coasting on ever since. I don't see recent evidence of him being close to that.

I only said MAX 2nd because you have to gamble on a new scheme, new coaches and a change of scenery on getting the best out of him. I don't think he's worth a 2nd on recent performance but it would be a gamble on him returning to form.

On saying all that, given his recent performances I'd rather take a shot on a rookie with a rookie deal.

Yes, after reading your posts I did some research and Lattimore clearly didn't maintain the performances of his rookie season, his performance level dropped year by year
Maybe someone can say u don't watch the games and u put to much focus on pff grades, but isn't just that, his performances regressed
A second round pick can be considered but a first is way too much

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Marshon Lattimore, please. You'll have to extend him right away, but you can give him whatever money we were planning to give Peterson. I'd be happy to hand over our first-round pick to not have to be uncertain about what we're getting.
I was thinking the same thing but bigger. Could Cam Jordan and Lattimore both come over for our 1st and maybe someone like Rashard Lawrence? Young, Cheap, LSU pedigree.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
good player

but is a 4-3 DE

i think he would be miscast as a 3-4 DE
My opinion is this: He has to be consistently better than Kennard or Golden.

Also, he's an AZ guy who has been a Saints stalwart and captain for years. He's gotta be worth it across from Chandler. And lord knows he can set an edge.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
My opinion is this: He has to be consistently better than Kennard or Golden.

Also, he's an AZ guy who has been a Saints stalwart and captain for years. He's gotta be worth it across from Chandler. And lord knows he can set an edge.

he is 285 lbs

it would basically turn your defense into a 4-3. the team can do that, it just has implications LB wise for Reddick and Simmons

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like the idea of Fletcher Cox for a 3rd and William Jackson more than Lattimore for a 1st. In my mind, that allows us to really focus on adding pieces to the offense and the option of trading back.

Sign me up!

Cox probably has 3 more good seasons in him. Guys that rely on speed fall off faster than guys that rely on brute force. Cox is bad, bad man.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but bigger. Could Cam Jordan and Lattimore both come over for our 1st and maybe someone like Rashard Lawrence? Young, Cheap, LSU pedigree.

No offense bud. I like your posts but wouldn't this be nuts?

Cam Jordan has an average salary the next 3 years of over £19m. He's 32 years old. He's played 4-3DE his whole career. The backer that plays across from Chandler needs to be able to drop into coverage.

It makes no sense to give away a 1st and a crap ton of money for an over age DE that had 7.5 sacks this year and a CB thats declined every single year in the league. I'm sure NO would snatch our hand off though.

I will add the cap hit wouldn't be quite that as NO would be on the hook for nearly all his salary this year (which is why they wouldn't do it). If they do trade him it would need to be a post June 1st trade which would soften the cap hit by $5m a year but I'm still not paying him $14m.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats how free agency works. People get paid more than they are worth now in the hope they are value at the end of the deal. I'm just being realistic.

Here's the problem. You say he's better than anyone we've had the last 3 years but based on what? I'd guess it's based on his great rookie season which he has been coasting on ever since. I don't see recent evidence of him being close to that.

I only said MAX 2nd because you have to gamble on a new scheme, new coaches and a change of scenery on getting the best out of him. I don't think he's worth a 2nd on recent performance but it would be a gamble on him returning to form.

On saying all that, given his recent performances I'd rather take a shot on a rookie with a rookie deal.
That’s how FA has worked in the past, but with the uncertainty of the cap will make it difficult to keep paying players these lucrative contracts and making them top 10 paid players. The last 3 years PP21 has been our best corner and every year Lattimore has outplayed him. That’s what I’m basing that off of. Have you actually watched him play? Honestly, because PFF had a bad grade on him means he’s not good? Name 10 corners better than him. He’s still young and will be a lockdown corner for this team for the next 5 years if we were to get him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s how FA has worked in the past, but with the uncertainty of the cap will make it difficult to keep paying players these lucrative contracts and making them top 10 paid players. The last 3 years PP21 has been our best corner and every year Lattimore has outplayed him. That’s what I’m basing that off of. Have you actually watched him play? Honestly, because PFF had a bad grade on him means he’s not good? Name 10 corners better than him. He’s still young and will be a lockdown corner for this team for the next 5 years if we were to get him.

Of course Ive seen him play. But like you (and everyone else here) I haven't watched him enough to form a personal opinion on his recent form.

However, the fact there are at least 3 articles from NO fans or reporters that cover NO over the past 2 years saying he's been bad is enough for me, which is backed up by PFF grades.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
re: Lattimore

while the Saints cap situation will require them to make difficult choices

they are picking Ramcyk-- a right tackle over Lattimore -- a CB (premium position)

the Saints are telling us who they think is a better value to offer a big number (its not like they are saving money by signing a RT to a long term deal)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No offense bud. I like your posts but wouldn't this be nuts?

Cam Jordan has an average salary the next 3 years of over £19m. He's 32 years old. He's played 4-3DE his whole career. The backer that plays across from Chandler needs to be able to drop into coverage.

It makes no sense to give away a 1st and a crap ton of money for an over age DE that had 7.5 sacks this year and a CB thats declined every single year in the league. I'm sure NO would snatch our hand off though.
It would be nuts. I get it.

But it's the exact type of deal winning teams pull off in the chase for a chip when their QB has a light salary.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We can get 7.5 sacks out of Golden for a quarter of the price.

We can get 7.5 sacks out of Gardeck for a 10th of the price.

Along with watching QB’s and RB’s running around him on the outside.

Yeah.... I may be crazy but Cam Jordan is on a different tier than Golden or Gardeck have ever seen. Kennard as well.

Cam has not been below 7.5 sacks in 9 years. And has been over 10 in 5 of those 9, and over 12 in four of those 5.

And he hasn't missed a game in 9 years.

This dude is a stud in the NFL, and is from Chandler.

The only issues may be scheme fit (I think good players figure it out for the most part) and price. That's it.

He also has multiple first and 2nd team all pro's on his resume. This guy may be a lock HOF'er already at 31 years old.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JordCa00.htm

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah.... I may be crazy but Cam Jordan is on a different tier than Golden or Gardeck have ever seen. Kennard as well.

Cam has not been below 7.5 sacks in 9 years. And has been over 10 in 5 of those 9, and over 12 in four of those 5.

And he hasn't missed a game in 9 years.

This dude is a stud in the NFL, and is from Chandler.

The only issues may be scheme fit (I think good players figure it out for the most part) and price. That's it.

He also has multiple first and 2nd team all pro's on his resume. This guy may be a lock HOF'er already at 31 years old.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JordCa00.htm

Yes but he's also a 32 year old defensive end. Decline is inevitable.

When Cam Jordan has 7.5 sacks as a starter and Trey Hendrickson has 13.5 sacks in rotation playing about 50% of snaps that's telling you something.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yes but he's also a 32 year old defensive end. Decline is inevitable.

When Cam Jordan has 7.5 sacks as a starter and Trey Hendrickson has 13.5 sacks in rotation playing about 50% of snaps that's telling you something.
In an odd year, he still was productive. but he's only 7 months older than Chandler.

I get your issues, and share the price tag one...... But I'm not going to overblow his age or production right now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In an odd year, he still was productive. but he's only 7 months older than Chandler.

I get your issues, and share the price tag one...... But I'm not going to overblow his age or production right now.

Fair enough. I have my concerns about CJ's age too after his poor start to the season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Fair enough. I have my concerns about CJ's age too after his poor start to the season.
Yeah. And at their age my hope is we could restructure Chandler. Add some years and a bit of cash but in trade lower his annual value.

Next, resign Reddick to a deal and maybe make one monster "all in move" that signals our intent to win now while K1 is cheap.

Lattimore and Cam could be that type of move. Then go after all of the one year deals that I am sure will flow due to the lowered cap.

If Pat P or Lattimore became our #2 CB, that would be an upgrade IMO.

But pat would have to swallow a smaller deal. Or maybe a prove it one year to allow him to bet on himself and then go back on the market next year. My guess though is that he will be too proud for that.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. And at their age my hope is we could restructure Chandler. Add some years and a bit of cash but in trade lower his annual value.

Next, resign Reddick to a deal and maybe make one monster "all in move" that signals our intent to win now while K1 is cheap.

Lattimore and Cam could be that type of move. Then go after all of the one year deals that I am sure will flow due to the lowered cap.

If Pat P or Lattimore became our #2 CB, that would be an upgrade IMO.

But pat would have to swallow a smaller deal. Or maybe a prove it one year to allow him to bet on himself and then go back on the market next year. My guess though is that he will be too proud for that.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

Don't need sexy, big moves to show seriousness (IMO).

Solidify the centre/right guard position and we'll actually get the tangible benefits of Kyler's early contract years.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't need sexy, big moves to show seriousness (IMO).

Solidify the centre/right guard position and we'll actually get the tangible benefits of Kyler's early contract years.
I agree. Until the interior of our OL is fixed, KK just can't run his offense. We absolutely also need to add at least a LEGIT WR2.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Could fix our OL for years to come and on the cheap by using our R1 & 2 picks on Slater, Davis, Smith, Leatherwood, or Tucker. Problem solved. Spend cap money on CB and DT, which are positions that need to be experienced to be effective starters.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kerry Hyder Jr is a free agent, younger and in this point can offer something similar to Jordan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose