Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 1-22-2021

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe we don't agree on what the "end" of the game is? Those were with more than two minutes to go in regulation, which means more than seven minutes before the end of the game.
At that time there wasn’t an expectation that there would be overtime. So yes, 2 minutes to go in regulation is the end of the game. At least it was at the time.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
started what 6-1 and now we’re about to be .500 pretty soon.

this is us falling back down to earth

They really played fairly well tonight other than too many turnovers, that is correctable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker looks to be out tomorrow. Hamstring injuries can linger.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
[/QUOTE]

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did everyone already forget that "stretch" included a full week where they didn't play or practice with one another? I'm not disagreeing they don't look great, but there are extenuating circumstances.
But the stretch started before the layoff. It is what it is.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At that time there wasn’t an expectation that there would be overtime. So yes, 2 minutes to go in regulation is the end of the game. At least it was at the time.

Okay, but my general perception is that he tends to fade at the ends of games, and even if we include those makes you're talking about, his offensive performance at the end of this particular contest was a long way from what we were hoping for.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He should win ALL of them against jokic. This is an athletic ayton against an incredibly skilled but unathletic jokic.

you know the refs are letting anything go on tips. Everybody is just quick tipping it and ayton is trying to follow the rules. He needs to adjust.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe this down time for Booker will give him some time to get his head out of his arse in regards to turnovers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Slow down. Yes it is. There aren’t more than six or seven teams better than the Suns in the West.
I think that’s due to harden tanking the rockets and injuries tanking Portland. Absent those I think we find ourselves battling for the 8 seed. Could still happen.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty acknowledges he should have called a timeout.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Okay, but my general perception is that he tends to fade at the ends of games, and even if we include those makes you're talking about, his offensive performance at the end of this particular contest was a long way from what we were hoping for.
Overtime was a joke and his decision making and passing were suspect throughout the entire 2nd half. So we agree there.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He should win ALL of them against jokic. This is an athletic ayton against an incredibly skilled but unathletic jokic.

"Athletic Ayton" hasn't ever made it to an NBA floor. Maybe he was a great athlete before then, but, by the standards of NBA big men, he's below average in strength, quickness, and leaping ability. The big difference in the last few games is that he's playing smarter, but he's not blowing anyone away physically.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ayton was also taken to the hole regularly. No one stopped anyone from getting to the rim.

True to a point. When you give up 80 points in the paint everyone is to blame somewhat. However it seemed that early and often the player that was getting to the basket was whomever ayton switched off of, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

The coaching staff should have recognized it

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes it is.

we still aren’t anywhere near our potential.

If ayton keeps up his recent play we are significantly better
The evidence against that is . . . the most recent three games. He was great and we were 1-2 and only barely beat a god awful undermanned rockets while losing to an undermanned griz and barely over .500 nuggets.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
you know the refs are letting anything go on tips. Everybody is just quick tipping it and ayton is trying to follow the rules. He needs to adjust.

Agreed. Isnt the ball supposed to make it to it's apex before it can be touched on a jump ball? Refs aren't enforcing this.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Mikal Bridges is right about Booker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pisses me off when CP3 and Book always talk about Ayton underperforming in interviews. Whos making more money here? Who ****** up and gutted the team because he wasn't happy? I hope they do trade DA because maybe a better team will know how to develop a rare center that may need some time to reach his full potential.
Ugh im going to bed before i say some **** that makes everyone hate me even more.
Lol this is a great post to end with. goodnight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
"Athletic Ayton" hasn't ever made it to an NBA floor. Maybe he was a great athlete before then, but, by the standards of NBA big men, he's below average in strength, quickness, and leaping ability. The big difference in the last few games is that he's playing smarter, but he's not blowing anyone away physically.
I never thought I’d type this: I think you’re underselling him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
According to basketball-reference.com, he was at 48% from 3 to 10 feet and 47% from 10 to 16 feet this season before tonight's brickfest. That's not "killer," unless you mean it's killing his own team's chances.

I thought he looked better in that range from the times I’ve watched but you can’t argue with the numbers. Is everyone in agreement that he shouldn’t play tomorrow?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s another loss. 3-6 in a 9 game span is just bad.

As I mentioned earlier, I think teams have figured out the Suns. They have no consistent inside game outside of Ayton so opponents let them shoot 3s until they go cold.

Offensively opponents will keep driving the ball to the basket daring them to stop them which they can't. When the Suns defense collapses they give up open 3s.

Jalen Smith might help down the road but that's a lot to put on a rookie.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, I think teams have figured out the Suns. They have no consistent inside game outside of Ayton so opponents let them shoot 3s until they go cold.

Offensively opponents will keep driving the ball to the basket daring them to stop them which they can't. When the Suns defense collapses they give up open 3s.

Jalen Smith might help down the road but that's a lot to put on a rookie.
I also think monty is married to having the defender go over picks every time and teams have obviously scouted that bc now they’re tearing us apart with it over and over again.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh trying to zzz last night sucked after that horrible loss...

Now with booker out might be even more from times ahead...

Ugh wish Kardashians never existed i honestly think that is affecting Booker in some way....

Unlike last year know i just have no faith in suns in close gms is what it is im use ymto it

Sorry on bashing just annoyed with all the losing teams in az sports fan gets to you after a while :(

And i have a stupid tired headache to deal with all day.... thanks suns lol

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also think monty is married to having the defender go over picks every time and teams have obviously scouted that bc now they’re tearing us apart with it over and over again.

Yes. Put us in the pick and roll.

also before Jokic ever got the ball, they would get the defense to switch Ayton off of Jokic. Suns never adjusted. Then would go to jokic while drawing Ayton away from Jokic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Put us in the pick and roll.

also before Jokic ever got the ball, they would get the defense to switch Ayton off of Jokic. Suns never adjusted. Then would go to jokic while drawing Ayton away from Jokic.

Yeah they probably watched tape of our game against the Pacers - the same thing happened time after time, pulling Ayton away from Sabonis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave