Nuggets @ Suns Friday game thread 1-22-2021

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
His mid-range is still killer

According to basketball-reference.com, he was at 48% from 3 to 10 feet and 47% from 10 to 16 feet this season before tonight's brickfest. That's not "killer," unless you mean it's killing his own team's chances.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The mode of operation to beat the Suns is drive the ball to the basket. The word is out.

Unless the Suns get out on the fast break or get the ball to Ayton they don't have much of an inside game.

Teams can simply wait for the Suns to go cold from outside.
Monty alluded to as much:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

At times, they made Ayton a de facto shot returner. Run some plays for him underneath

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think when it’s 8 games it’s not a “stretch,” it’s reality setting in . . .
Did everyone already forget that "stretch" included a full week where they didn't play or practice with one another? I'm not disagreeing they don't look great, but there are extenuating circumstances.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve been lamenting crowders shot selection for a few games. He needs to shoot the open 3s but he should never shoot one off the dribble or a step back. He doesn’t have that. I think he needs a reminder that he’s a role player. A good one. But within yourself man!

feels like he is trying to shoot more since he got put on the bench. Maybe trying to shoot his way back into the starting lineup.

I actually think I wound switch the lineup back. Feels to me like both players were more effective prior to the change.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is simply wrong. Cam Payne is a good defender, and even in this slump, Carter is a good defender. Crowder has some good days and Chris Paul isn't a bad defender.

I'm not going to argue that this is looking suspiciously like last year's start. Big difference here besides the new personnel is Deandre Ayton. Plus, I'm not happy with Monty's recent coaching performances.
This is a good point. He’s not suspended this year. But the hot start looking like a mirage is familiar.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder is an enigma. Seems like he can't figure out just what he is. He is a fairly large human and he doesn't do anything inside. He should be living down there when Frank Kaminsky is in the game.

Crowder is a small forward that can't slash. He is a 3 & D player who the Suns have playing power forward.

TJ

Reaction score
I like Jae Crowder, but I realized tonight why he was thrown to the bench.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
feels like he is trying to shoot more since he got put on the bench. Maybe trying to shoot his way back into the starting lineup.

I actually think I wound switch the lineup back. Feels to me like both players were more effective prior to the change.
Tonight it was certainly the case. Against Houston too. I thought it was better in the first game of the switch, but of course that was a loss to Memphis.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once again Booker drove into double teams. Held on to the ball too long in the third. Did more damage than good.

again my take I’ve been saying, what’s with the substitution patterns.

they collapsed on Ayton in the second half, even when he was open we didn’t get him the ball.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Except tonight he was a good shooter at one point -- the end of the game.

What are you talking about? His last seven chances (not counting the heave at the end of regulation) were the made three, four misses, and two turnovers.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What are you talking about? His last seven chances (not counting the heave at the end of regulation) were the made three, four misses, and two turnovers.
He hit three in a row at the end of regulation! Did you watch the game?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Slow down. Yes it is. There aren’t more than six or seven teams better than the Suns in the West.

started what 6-1 and now we’re about to be .500 pretty soon.

this is us falling back down to earth

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There was a layup line on whomever ayton was switching off of. That's on Monty and his teammates not adjusting
Ayton was also taken to the hole regularly. No one stopped anyone from getting to the rim.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He hit three in a row at the end of regulation! Did you watch the game?

Maybe we don't agree on what the "end" of the game is? Those were with more than two minutes to go in regulation, which means more than seven minutes before the end of the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Paul is allergic to fast breaking, so no easy buckets to be had there.

Paul likes to walk the ball up and set up plays but the Suns knew this when they traded for him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Crowder is an enigma. Seems like he can't figure out just what he is. He is a fairly large human and he doesn't do anything inside. He should be living down there when Frank Kaminsky is in the game.
He’s not a very good athlete. He’s neither a good jumper nor very nimble footed. I’ve never seen him exhibit good post footwork. With his strength he should be able to post smaller players but doesn’t possess the skills to do so. At this juncture in his career he’s not going to either.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pisses me off when CP3 and Book always talk about Ayton underperforming in interviews. Whos making more money here? Who fudged up and gutted the team because he wasn't happy? I hope they do trade DA because maybe a better team will know how to develop a rare center that may need some time to reach his full potential.
Ugh im going to bed before i say some poo that makes everyone hate me even more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and Bridges is having the night of his life and did he even attempt a 3 in the 4th? How does that even happen

this is bad coaching
They consistently ran him off the line. I’m not mad at that. Bridges adapted by driving but that’s just not his strong suit.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cam Johnson has been a pretty big disappointment lately. We need Jae's toughness and smart defense to close out games. Really poor decision to have Cam in over him, in my opinion. Also, bringing Payne in to replace Booker didn't make a ton of sense to me. I'd rather see Jae or even Carter come in at that spot. Let CP3 be your ball handler. That pass to Ayton under the basket at the end of the game was just so horrible. Almost every pass you throw at Ayton down low in traffic will be a turn over. Why try it with the game on the line?

TJ

Reaction score
started what 6-1 and now we’re about to be .500 pretty soon.

this is us falling back down to earth

Check back with me in 15-20 games. Too soon to play the lottery machine game