I'm building an overland setup

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have always thought they usually looked dumb. When I pulled in the parking lot, I was surprised how good it looked on my truck. I went with the mid high to give a little head room and sure enough, right now floor to top when sitting, I have 6+ inches of head room so now I can build a 6" platform on the bottom with a drawer system to keep my kitchen and more in and still have room for activities above it.

Have you considered installing a leveling kit to raise up the front end?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered installing a leveling kit to raise up the front end?

I'm actually going to lift the entire thing and level it over time. Right now I want to keep building everything I am doing to get an idea of the weight I will have and etc before the lift so I do not end up sagging the back end.

With the weight I will probably need to do a 6" lift to get good clearance and etc on the truck. Likely also go up to 35" tires from 33" and regear it to handle it once I am there.

Some basic plans for over the next year or less:
Solar on the cab to power a deep cycle battery for charging, appliances, tv, etc
low profile rack on the shell for axe, shovel, jack, gear, etc
possible front and rear steel bumpers
build out inside of shell to my design
Velcro attachments inside on the carpet insulation for storage, fan positioning, etc
"chaser lights" on the back of shell so you can see me though dirt while cruising down dirt roads
Light bar to the front for optimal night riding

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I still only have the shell, have not built inside at all yet lol....too busy all the damn time

then, ive wanted a tesla for a long time and I realised the rendering of the cybertruck with the tent is not a fan render, it came straight from tesla. Look further into it and it has an onboard air compressor - similar to something I am building. It has solar to charge while camping - similar to what I am building. It has an invertor for 110 and 220 watt, similar to what I was building but better. It has in cabin and bed climate control "camping mode" similar to what I was building but better.

Then...its a tesla, its bulletproof and I can pretend I am a terminator.

I will still probably build the truck however, I have a reservation to look at buying a tri motor cyber truck with around 500 miles of range when they are released later this year.

The kids ride in the bed a LOT now and it became an 8 seater vehicle. The cybertruck is a 6 seater and has a 6.5 ft bed just like my silverado.

lots of problems solved.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
so I still only have the shell, have not built inside at all yet lol....too busy all the damn time

then, ive wanted a tesla for a long time and I realised the rendering of the cybertruck with the tent is not a fan render, it came straight from tesla. Look further into it and it has an onboard air compressor - similar to something I am building. It has solar to charge while camping - similar to what I am building. It has an invertor for 110 and 220 watt, similar to what I was building but better. It has in cabin and bed climate control "camping mode" similar to what I was building but better.

Then...its a tesla, its bulletproof and I can pretend I am a terminator.

I will still probably build the truck however, I have a reservation to look at buying a tri motor cyber truck with around 500 miles of range when they are released later this year.

The kids ride in the bed a LOT now and it became an 8 seater vehicle. The cybertruck is a 6 seater and has a 6.5 ft bed just like my silverado.

lots of problems solved.

I'm not into cars (I drove a prius for 9 years lol). Now I drive a Leaf. But I love the cybertruck. Probably going to to buy it.

I would have a bought a tesla, but my 20 year-old son was still living at home, which blew up the insurance on a tesla vs a Leaf.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I went to start building my truck bed for now for this summer and found out lumbar prices are 180% up. One sheet of plywood at home depot is $50 right now. Just for the plywood I need alone it would be about $300 right now. So, I'ma have to improvise and just make a temporary plan in there that does not require building, does not have drawers, etc.