If you’re a WR fan, make sure you watch the national championship game

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hopkins listed at 214, Smith at 174. Admittedly D Hop is skinny but he's much thicker than Smith.

he does have really good hands, catches the ball with his hands, and highpoints the ball.

Interesting guy got better every year, amazing example of how good Alabama has been he played 4 years and was only the best WR on the team his last year and people are saying he might be the best Wr in college football in years because of that one year.

I think he's really good but worry about the size.
Wasn’t he Alabama’s leading receiver last year too with Ruggs and Jeudy there?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt it. Lions have Golladay and a LOT of needs. Giants have sterling and slayton and a lot of needs.
What Juza said about the Lions. Slayton & Shep are WR3s at best. No one can separate on that team. Outside of OLB, where it’s sub-par at the top, there’s not a bigger need for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Golladay /Marvin Jones are free agents
I’ll be surprised if they don’t retain both. Golladay is their going stud even if he was hurt most of the season. And there’s just not going to be a big market for jones imo. They’ll have bigger fish to fry with the air game in good hands with a health Golladay and Hockenson.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What Juza said about the Lions. Slayton & Shep are WR3s at best. No one can separate on that team. Outside of OLB, where it’s sub-par at the top, there’s not a bigger need for them.
They need corners and dlinemen.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll be surprised if they don’t retain both. Golladay is their going stud even if he was hurt most of the season. And there’s just not going to be a big market for jones imo. They’ll have bigger fish to fry with the air game in good hands with a health Golladay and Hockenson.
Maybe but actually getting a wr is one of their biggest
need
Golladay will gather lot of interest, he can choose a better team then lions

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need corners and dlinemen.
They have a CB1 in Bradberry at the least. It’s possible, but I don’t think that early. They have more than enough DLinemen. Like I said in the initial post, they could go EDGE before WR, but that’s the only position I can see them going. They legitimately have no playmakers on offense outside of a injury prone Barkley.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D Smith reminds me of D-Hop...

Or is it the other way around?
Mmm, no

Devonte Smith is quicker faster better route runner

Hopkins, much more physical, can make contested catches, has bigger, stronger and elite hands

Devonte Smith is a lock top 10

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t he Alabama’s leading receiver last year too with Ruggs and Jeudy there?

He had the most yards and TD's but Jeudy had the most catches and Jeudy was the guy everyone doubled. Smith was great but most people considered Jeudy to be their best WR that year

They had 4 first round draft picks at WR that year, Ruggs, Jeudy, Smith and Waddle, pretty remarkable for a college team

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mmm, no

Devonte Smith is quicker faster better route runner

Hopkins, much more physical, can make contested catches, has bigger, stronger and elite hands

Devonte Smith is a lock top 10

I wouldn't call him a top 10 lock.

Teams have a tendency to second guess themselves in the draft which is why they love comps so much and there isn't one for Smith. I can't remember who it was but the last guy over 6ft but under 180lbs to be drafted in round 1 was a while ago and he was a bust.

On top of that I don't expect Smith to have 180lb speed. He's expected to be around mid 4.4's.

I don't think he's a top 10 lock. It's rare to have one now, hasn't been one since 2017 with Corey Davis and Mike Williams (which might be part of the reason why).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him a top 10 lock.

Teams have a tendency to second guess themselves in the draft which is why they love comps so much and there isn't one for Smith. I can't remember who it was but the last guy over 6ft but under 180lbs to be drafted in round 1 was a while ago and he was a bust.

On top of that I don't expect Smith to have 180lb speed. He's expected to be around mid 4.4's.

I don't think he's a top 10 lock. It's rare to have one now, hasn't been one since 2017 with Corey Davis and Mike Williams (which might be part of the reason why).

Yesterday u said speed is overrated
BTW Smith is so smooth, quick and agile that can get separation easily, and u can move him all around the field
I heard often :Tarzan body with Jane toughness, sometimes is viceversa

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yesterday u said speed is overrated
BTW Smith is so smooth, quick and agile that can get separation easily, and u can move him all around the field
I heard often :Tarzan body with Jane toughness, sometimes is viceversa

I'm not dissing him. I like Smith. I liked him last year.

I'm simply saying NFL teams love second guessing themselves. For top 10 picks they like as much as a sure thing as they can get so it wouldn't surprise me if Smith didn't go top 10. Especially when there is already less tendency to take WR top 10.

And yes speed is overrated, but that doesn't mean many teams don't still rate it. As evidenced by us taking an under sized body catcher because he ran 4.31.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not dissing him. I like Smith. I liked him last year.

I'm simply saying NFL teams love second guessing themselves. For top 10 picks they like as much as a sure thing as they can get so it wouldn't surprise me if Smith didn't go top 10. Especially when there is already less tendency to take WR top 10.

And yes speed is overrated, but that doesn't mean many teams don't still rate it. As evidenced by us taking an under sized body catcher because he ran 4.31.

IMO because Smith is so light, teams are going to want to see his 40 time be real fast. Just like the other kid, if you're not big, they want to see other qualities to make up for it. NFL WR's get hit often and hard, so if they think you might be too small they want to see other qualities, a sub 4.4 40 he's a lock top 10, past that he still might go that high, or might not

WR is so hard to judge. Jeudy was good with a terrible QB, not great. Lamb was good until his QB got hurt. Jefferson was picked after all of them and was a stud. Claypool lasted well past and had a great year until Ben fell off a cliff, that kid is on a DK Metcalf type trajectory if they have a good QB next year. If Ben continues his dropoff, or they go with a young guy not ready he'll see a drop off

Mel Gray was a similar weight to Smith but he was 5'9" and that was in the 70's. Isaac Bruce wasn't that big but still 15 pounds bigger than Smith.

Smith is really good he accelerates out of cuts, no wasted steps, you just never know with a kid that size what happens when he starts getting hit by NFL players every week. I'm not saying he'll wimp out he played in the SEC, I'm saying you don't know if he'll be able to stay healthy at that size. Some guys never get hurt, some guys do, you just never know.

I read a story last week about former WR Roy Williams and they said he retired at 30 because "my body was breaking down." He said he started to notice it in his 20's, he got traded to the Cowboys and their offense was different they ran stick routes(sound familiar) and he said it works if you're the TE but for the outside guy you run 15 yards stop and come back if the timing isn't perfect you get drilled. He said I was a big WR but it doesn't matter these guys are hitting you over and over and at a certain point you start to think I'm coming back if the ball is late and it gets picked so be it, I'm tired of being hit because of the offense. Wasn't Tony Romo's fault that was our offense. Obviously nobody is going to plan to use Smith the way you use a guy like Roy Williams but that guy was 50 pounds or more bigger than Smith is and he retired at 30 and now runs a trucking company because of the physical abuse he took in football

I think I get more now why D Hop plays the way he does. At first I wondered he's always stepping out after catches but now I see why, he gets so many targets he gets hit hard 4-5 times a game. I also see why he skips practices at times during the week, rest the body.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He had the most yards and TD's but Jeudy had the most catches and Jeudy was the guy everyone doubled. Smith was great but most people considered Jeudy to be their best WR that year

They had 4 first round draft picks at WR that year, Ruggs, Jeudy, Smith and Waddle, pretty remarkable for a college team
So he didn’t have just one great year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he didn’t have just one great year.

no I said he had one year where he was the best WR on the team. Nobody was saying he was the best WR in college in a decade last year because he wasn't even considered the best on his own team. This year he was off the charts good, to be fair it was a bizarre year with Covid, that he got in 13 games was pretty amazing many top players didn't get a full year like Bama did.That's not a knock it's a statement on how good the Wr depth has been at Alabama.

Smith, Waddle both those guys are the best Wr on most of the top 10 teams in the country on an annual basis, but they had to wait their turns at Bama.

he had a remarkable year especially after Waddle went down and he was really the bulk of their passing game.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The point I was making was showing teams who could take 1 of the 3 top WRs before it got to us. Three or four top WRs divided by 8 teams doesn't give us much chance at one of them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You want to bet that all four take wrs?

Every year there going to be "7 wide receivers taken in round 1" and there never is. It's very easy to see why.

There are good WR's in the draft every year and more often than not it's deep. You can draft great WR's (if you can scout) in rounds 2 and 3 and as often as not the "Sure things" in round 1 don't work out. Would you rather have Henry Ruggs or Chase Claypool?

Picking at 16 I wouldn't be surprised if only 1 or 2 WR's are off the board. Last year was a record year for WR's taken in the first 2 rounds but only 2 went before 16.