If you’re a WR fan, make sure you watch the national championship game

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This Monday will probably bring the greatest array of WR talent in a college game ever.

You’re looking at 6+ possible 1st rounders being on the field.
Davonte Smith
Waddle
Garret Wilson
Chris Olave
Jameson Williams
Enjuba-Smith(sp,)

and I’m sure there are some Bama underclass men I’m forgetting/don’t know about.

it’s going to be a fun game to watch.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I guess last years Alabama/LSU game could rival it.
Nevermind, lol.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This Monday will probably bring the greatest array of WR talent in a college game ever.

Davonte Smith
Waddle
Garret Wilson
Chris Olave
Jameson Williams
Enjuba-Smith(sp,)

and I’m sure there are some Bama underclass men I’m forgetting/don’t know about.

it’s going to be a fun game to watch.

Devonta..... :cry:

One could dream....

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Devonte Smith is single handedly killing OSU

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't worry, its all part of the Football gods plan to get us Chase instead:D

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Davonte Smith
Waddle
Garret Wilson
Chris Olave
Jameson Williams
Enjuba-Smith(sp,)

Devonta..... :cry:

One could dream....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it was his choice but I can't believe Saban let Waddle play in that game. Limping all over the place, total mismatch of a game so they didn't need him.

Hope he didn't reinjure the ankle, but they kept saying he wanted to play it was his choice.

Smith is really good the question on him is size, is he physically able to take the pounding NFL Wr's take? TOSU's defensive coordinator might want to watch the tape, same play from the opposite side for the first 2 TD's for Smith, start in motion right turn back left screen catch TD. Then later start in motion left turn back right screen catch TD, same play.

Najee Harris is legit I really want to see someone actually weigh him he just doesn't look like he's really 230 he's so much more shifty than you expect at that size. I don't want a RB in round 1 but I would not be mad if we took him

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Najee Harris is legit I really want to see someone actually weigh him he just doesn't look like he's really 230 he's so much more shifty than you expect at that size. I don't want a RB in round 1 but I would not be mad if we took him

i think he is a good pick in the last five picks of round 1

you control him for 5 years at a reasonable cost, which will be the best 5 years of his career

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think he is a good pick in the last five picks of round 1

you control him for 5 years at a reasonable cost, which will be the best 5 years of his career

Yeah I like him my objection is not to him it's just to taking a RB in the first round. He's good and he moves the pile, I had no idea he was that good out of the backfield too. I just think we have bigger needs, CB, OL, Wr, etc than RB in the first round but he's awfully good.

It's always hard to evaluate Alabama kids but their RB's seem to have largely been good in the NFL, not too many examples of good backs at Alabama who don't translate to the NFL.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am torn now. Sold on DeVonte. He looks like the ultimate WR you get once a generation as we did with Larry. Don't see how anyone could pass on him. We sure shouldn't.

But then, there's Najee, who we have such a need for. Knowing Devonte would be ranked much higher, and that RBs are easier to find, I gotta go with the WR. Anyone who thinks we have drafted enough WRs lately has to imagine how impossible it would be to game plan for Murray, Hopkins, and Devonte on same team. How much fun that would be. We would never be out of any game no matter the score or the time left.

Just get any big RB who can move the pile for 2-4 yards when we need it, and we will be fine.

Just read an article that you can expect 7 WRs to go in R1 of the draft.
Now the bad news, you can guess what these teams represent in the draft:

Jets
Bengals
Eagles
Lions
Broncos
Giants
Vikings
Pats

And for the good news. Lots of good positional players will fall to us at 16. Micah is a stud at LB. Or the top CB or OT is always an option for us.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every off season I start reading all the draft stuff and think "What's the point? The draft rarely falls the way you think, especially further back you are and Keim very rarely drafts the players you expect" but then I remember there's nothing else to talk about in the off season.

So my initial thoughts are thus.

1. Devonta Smith looks great, but I'm not quite sold on him as an NFL WR. To me he seems a guy who's football intelligence is more prominent than physical talent, which is fine, many an athletic freak failed at the NFL level because they don't have the smarts but part of me wonders if he can handle the physicality. I'd be less concerned if he was 20lb heavier. I think he could be very scheme dependent. I don't think he's a guy you can just throw out at X and say go beat your guy. I personally prefer Waddle and Chase.

2. I don't like the CB class other than Surtain, and surely he will be gone.

3. There is no position we can't draft except QB. I'm not going down the road like last year where we spent months arguing about CeeDee Lamb vs positions of need. They are all need. After taking Simmons at a position of need and as good as he may be if you were to say to me "Would you swap CeeDee for Simmons if you could go back?" the answer would probably be yes. So I've learned that lesson. Take the best player on the board when we pick. We have too little talent everywhere (except safety).

4. OLB and CB seem to be the hot picks but I wouldn't be surprised to see ILB in the first 2 rounds. It's a good class and we have a weak room. Putting someone like Dylan Moses next to Isaiah Simmons is a very attractive option.

5. I like Jaelon Darden as a late round PR/KR who can play WR4 and do all the things Isabella can't.

And that's about the depth of my draft opinions so far.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Every off season I start reading all the draft stuff and think "What's the point? The draft rarely falls the way you think, especially further back you are and Keim very rarely drafts the players you expect" but then I remember there's nothing else to talk about in the off season.

1. Devonta Smith looks great, but I'm not quite sold on him as an NFL WR. To me he seems a guy who's football intelligence is more prominent than physical talent, which is fine, many an athletic freak failed at the NFL level because they don't have the smarts but part of me wonders if he can handle the physicality. I'd be less concerned if he was 20lb heavier. I think he could be very scheme dependent. I don't think he's a guy you can just throw out at X and say go beat your guy. I personally prefer Waddle and Chase.

3. There is no position we can't draft except QB. I'm not going down the road like last year where we spent months arguing about CeeDee Lamb vs positions of need. They are all need. After taking Simmons at a position of need and as good as he may be if you were to say to me "Would you swap CeeDee for Simmons if you could go back?" the answer would probably be yes. So I've learned that lesson. Take the best player on the board when we pick. We have too little talent everywhere (except safety).

4. OLB and CB seem to be the hot picks but I wouldn't be surprised to see ILB in the first 2 rounds. It's a good class and we have a weak room. Putting someone like Dylan Moses next to Isaiah Simmons is a very attractive option.

5. I like Jaelon Darden as a late round PR/KR who can play WR4 and do all the things Isabella can't.

As long as it's not an OSU LB. They're not any good and haven't been all year. Dylan Moses in the first 2 rounds would be awful too. He's lost more than a step from his injury.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I googled Darden, never saw North Texas play, yeah that kid looks pretty intriguing. He led the country in TD's per game for a WR, was among the national leaders in yards after catch etc. Just shifty as all get out. Apparently ran track in HS so it will be interesting to see his 40 time, they have not had a kid get picked in the draft since 2004, apparently he might go day 2 of the draft.

Nice find that's the kind of kid we need in the offense we're running, guys who take that shorter pass and get YAC.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I googled Darden, never saw North Texas play, yeah that kid looks pretty intriguing. He led the country in TD's per game for a WR, was among the national leaders in yards after catch etc. Just shifty as all get out. Apparently ran track in HS so it will be interesting to see his 40 time, they have not had a kid get picked in the draft since 2004, apparently he might go day 2 of the draft.

Nice find that's the kind of kid we need in the offense we're running, guys who take that shorter pass and get YAC.

Darden looks like a good scheme fit for what Kliff does and he offers something we don't have in our WR corp. I don't think he will be as quick as Isabella in the 40 but he will be much quicker on the 10 yard split and I still expect him to run sub 4.4. We really need KR/PR too and he offers that.

40 times are massively overrated anyway. Mike Williams has been one of the leagues top deep ball threats but ran a 4.5. Diggs ran a 4.46. You really don't need 4.3 speed.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Darden looks like a good scheme fit for what Kliff does and he offers something we don't have in our WR corp. I don't think he will be as quick as Isabella in the 40 but he will be much quicker on the 10 yard split and I still expect him to run sub 4.4. We really need KR/PR too and he offers that.

40 times are massively overrated anyway. Mike Williams has been one of the leagues top deep ball threats but ran a 4.5. Diggs ran a 4.46. You really don't need 4.3 speed.

I agree, what is his time with pads on. That far more important to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh I agree I just mean at his size I think the 40 time is going to be crucial for him as to when he gets drafted. I've seen so many terrific college players, who get to the NFL and the faster speed of the game negates much of what they do. He doesn't strike me as such a player but I think if he runs a 4.5 or slower it's going to be day 3, if it's 4.5 or faster could be day 2.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D Smith reminds me of D-Hop...

Or is it the other way around?

Hopkins listed at 214, Smith at 174. Admittedly D Hop is skinny but he's much thicker than Smith.

he does have really good hands, catches the ball with his hands, and highpoints the ball.

Interesting guy got better every year, amazing example of how good Alabama has been he played 4 years and was only the best WR on the team his last year and people are saying he might be the best Wr in college football in years because of that one year.

I think he's really good but worry about the size.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am torn now. Sold on DeVonte. He looks like the ultimate WR you get once a generation as we did with Larry. Don't see how anyone could pass on him. We sure shouldn't.

But then, there's Najee, who we have such a need for. Knowing Devonte would be ranked much higher, and that RBs are easier to find, I gotta go with the WR. Anyone who thinks we have drafted enough WRs lately has to imagine how impossible it would be to game plan for Murray, Hopkins, and Devonte on same team. How much fun that would be. We would never be out of any game no matter the score or the time left.

Just get any big RB who can move the pile for 2-4 yards when we need it, and we will be fine.

Just read an article that you can expect 7 WRs to go in R1 of the draft.
Now the bad news, you can guess what these teams represent in the draft:

Jets
Bengals
Eagles
Lions
Broncos
Giants
Vikings
Pats

And for the good news. Lots of good positional players will fall to us at 16. Micah is a stud at LB. Or the top CB or OT is always an option for us.
I don’t understand, lions, giants, Broncos and Vikings won’t be taking wrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave