2020 new consoles

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its really slow today at work and my actual modem is in my bedroom/office so I plugged it into my xbox one x just to see and holy crap it is so much more consistent and fast. There is no way for me to hardwire my other xboxes without my walls showing my nerd-om unfortunately.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
its really slow today at work and my actual modem is in my bedroom/office so I plugged it into my xbox one x just to see and holy crap it is so much more consistent and fast. There is no way for me to hardwire my other xboxes without my walls showing my nerd-om unfortunately.

Just run ethernet cables along the floorboards. Just have to be careful walking at the places it crosses. ;)

What are you using for a wifi router and how far is it to the xboxes from where it's located?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just run ethernet cables along the floorboards. Just have to be careful walking at the places it crosses. ;)

What are you using for a wifi router and how far is it to the xboxes from where it's located?

yeah, there is no way to run cords really. it would cross floors and etc. one xbox is downstairs under me and I could technically try to learn to drop it through the floor inside the wall but that seems excessive. The other xbox is across the entire house and downstairs as well.

My wifi is actually pretty solid, just nothing can compare to an ethernet cord. I currently run a Linksys wrt3200 acm and have been very happy with it. it lets me prioritize the xboxes and more. It was a huge jump forward from my last router and significantly improved lag in rocket league where it was most noticeable.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran shielded cat6 from my router in the office through my A/C ducts (straight shot) into the room next door to the living room and then drilled one hole and the cable goes along the wall to my switch at my entertainment center. DirecTV, xbone, ps, receiver and blu-ray player are all hardwired. Wifi is split into 2.4GHz for phones, guest network and 5GHz for iPad, laptops and bedroom DirecTV box (for watching recordings in either room). Everything runs very smoothly.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran shielded cat6 from my router in the office through my A/C ducts (straight shot) into the room next door to the living room and then drilled one hole and the cable goes along the wall to my switch at my entertainment center. DirecTV, xbone, ps, receiver and blu-ray player are all hardwired. Wifi is split into 2.4GHz for phones, guest network and 5GHz for iPad, laptops and bedroom DirecTV box (for watching recordings in either room). Everything runs very smoothly.

Sounds pretty slick! I like the use of A/C ductwork.

I'd suggest looking into youtube TV. It's a lot less expensive and you would only need to hardwire into the smart tv or xbox instead of also into direct tv boxes.

My living rooms both have an xbox that doubles as a blue ray player and app playing device so I don't think I would ever have to hardwire anything but an xbox.

Your receiver is hardwired? Receivers use the internet now? Get off my lawn!

currently I game on the 5ghz and my son games on the 2.4 ghz band and we seem to get no interference and play games 99% lag free.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Sounds pretty slick! I like the use of A/C ductwork.
Your receiver is hardwired? Receivers use the internet now? Get off my lawn!

I did the AC ductwork at my old house too. Needed to run a line just between two rooms and the vent was on the wall that I needed it in each room so ran the line and then just let it hang down the wall. Worked great and it was in rooms that I was the only one ever in.

Most AVRs have ethernet and wifi built in. They have for awhile now. One I bought back in 2010 even had it. ;) For the internet needs it has a bunch of services for streaming music built in and it also does firmware upgrades over it. For your home network it then has stuff like a remote app and an app for running Audyssey and managing its profiles.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah. The last receiver I owned was from the nineties and still used raw wire to plug in speakers vs the rga type cables that speakers use now. I still have two 12" tower speakers in one of my living rooms and 4 tower speakers in the garage. I should probably have a yard sale.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the AC ductwork at my old house too. Needed to run a line just between two rooms and the vent was on the wall that I needed it in each room so ran the line and then just let it hang down the wall. Worked great and it was in rooms that I was the only one ever in.

Most AVRs have ethernet and wifi built in. They have for awhile now. One I bought back in 2010 even had it. ;) For the internet needs it has a bunch of services for streaming music built in and it also does firmware upgrades over it. For your home network it then has stuff like a remote app and an app for running Audyssey and managing its profiles.

Exactly. I have a second zone in my master bath and I can turn on the receiver, start Sirius from my phone and jump from bed to the shower without having to go into the living room.

All of the associated apps have made initial setup so much easier than it used to be. I hated having to park in front of the receiver and go through all of those menus on a tiny lcd screen and program everything.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah. The last receiver I owned was from the nineties and still used raw wire to plug in speakers vs the rga type cables that speakers use now. I still have two 12" tower speakers in one of my living rooms and 4 tower speakers in the garage. I should probably have a yard sale.

Audio physics haven't changed, so if they're good quality speakers, they may have some value to people that still appreciate good sound over the convenience and form factor of modern 'space-saver' speakers.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

What are the speakers? Depending on wha they are I might be interested. I have a couple different needs that I've been looking to buy for.

Exactly. I have a second zone in my master bath and I can turn on the receiver, start Sirius from my phone and jump from bed to the shower without having to go into the living room.

Puck, you're not fooling us. We know it's for when you're on the can. :D

All of the associated apps have made initial setup so much easier than it used to be. I hated having to park in front of the receiver and go through all of those menus on a tiny lcd screen and program everything.

My biggest one is the Audyssey app that was released for the Denon receivers. It made a difference for my home theater since you can store multiple configs in it and it gives you control over stuff like the curve that you can't do without it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the speakers? Depending on wha they are I might be interested. I have a couple different needs that I've been looking to buy for.

My biggest one is the Audyssey app that was released for the Denon receivers. It made a difference for my home theater since you can store multiple configs in it and it gives you control over stuff like the curve that you can't do without it.

Would you rather hear Sirius or ???? :eek:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll try to remember to check tonight. I have two in the living room and 4 in the garage.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four jensen's and two that I can't dig out at the moment to see what they are
You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define heavy? I don't think they are heavy :shrug:

A quality 12" speaker will have a large magnet on the speaker and heavy duty cabinet construction, so it would be relatively heavy. If you or your kid could move them around with ease, I'm guessing they're fairly low end.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ooooh, digital ready!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quality 12" speaker will have a large magnet on the speaker and heavy duty cabinet construction, so it would be relatively heavy. If you or your kid could move them around with ease, I'm guessing they're fairly low end.

yeah I would not define them as heavy personally. My 12 year old son could move them I am sure although they would be large for him, my 6 year old daughter could not.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I was hoping we might have a good garage find with some vintage Cornwalls or something. ;)

Thanks, I'll pass on them. They're not what I'm looking for. The timbre on them won't match with what I'd be adding them to.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we might have a good garage find with some vintage Cornwalls or something. ;)

Thanks, I'll pass on them. They're not what I'm looking for. The timbre on them won't match with what I'd be adding them to.
I'm going to secure them all to my truck along with spikes and flamethrower for my next guitar session.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to secure them all to my truck along with spikes and flamethrower for my next guitar session.

(in growling metal voice) "This next number is called, Wonderwaaaaaaaaallllllll!"

:devil::rockon::devil::rockon::band::rockon::devil::rockon::devil:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right behind the McIntosh tube amps, right? :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose