The Market 2021

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm happy I sold a stock before bad financial news was released. It doesn't take a genius to see how the Trump banning, subsequent backlash and loss of engagement would hurt them in the short term and cause their stock price to fall. I'd be open to buying them again after they likely report another drop in daily active users like they did in October and saw their shares fall 18%.

As an investor, I saw Twitter as a growth opportunity. A significant drop in daily active users is not good for shareholders. You can argue, that it's good for the country, but that would be a conversation for P&R.

Right... you sold it based upon an event related to a political figure (I can use other terms for Trump, but technically he is still POTUS). ;)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can make it political but leaving emotion aside, I imagine this was a great time to sell twitter and if you felt twitter was important to your long term investing, buying back in after it dips makes sense.

If TSLA comes out and says 20% of its users are returning its cars and going back to gas, you should probably sell your TSLA stock. This is a game, not an emotional connection. Emotionally connecting to stocks and money is a bad idea. IT's like betting on the cardinals to win the super bowl every year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all, this thread is not about politics and I'm more active in checking on this thread because it matters more to me than everyone venting every frustration they have about something political. Seems totally out of place to bring that here.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I sold Twitter a few weeks ago.

You can make it political but leaving emotion aside, I imagine this was a great time to sell twitter and if you felt twitter was important to your long term investing, buying back in after it dips makes sense.

If TSLA comes out and says 20% of its users are returning its cars and going back to gas, you should probably sell your TSLA stock. This is a game, not an emotional connection. Emotionally connecting to stocks and money is a bad idea. IT's like betting on the cardinals to win the super bowl every year.

His post never mentioned that he would consider buying it again... in light of the crystal clear connection/timing to politics, his above quote couldn't be interpreted any other way than a political context.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In all, this thread is not about politics and I'm more active in checking on this thread because it matters more to me than everyone venting every frustration they have about something political. Seems totally out of place to bring that here.

Of course... but, didn't the markets hit record highs because of Trump? :p

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His post never mentioned that he would consider buying it again... in light of the crystal clear connection/timing to politics, his above quote couldn't be interpreted any other way than a political context.

So your point is that it should be welcome to make it an argument about politics in the finance forum. Well, have at it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course... but, didn't the markets hit record highs because of Trump? :p

I don't follow overall markets outside of an S&P stock, I follow much more individual investing. My long term, retirement stocks aren't interesting enough to follow. They will do what they do. I'm nowhere near retirement so what they are doing today and last year really have no bearing on what my target fund will be when I retire.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So your point is that it should be welcome to make it an argument about politics in the finance forum. Well, have at it.

I know you're intentionally being obtuse... cuz I know you would have to see that he sold twitter only because of a political matter...

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know you're intentionally being obtuse... cuz I know you would have to see that he sold twitter only because of a political matter...

I try to keep politics out of investing. I still have holdings in heavy hitters AMZN, AAPL, and GOOG. I think their recent decisions will have no significant affect on their stock price and am still confident in their long term growth.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A political matter made it a wise choice to double think your investment in a company, sure. never said otherwise.

I was just replying to you turning it into a political argument.

Looking at it from 3,000 feet above and as a non twitter investor, it was likely a good time to pull out while the chaos is happening between twitter, parlor and etc. It cannot be the best time for twitter right now with them learning and navigating how important their platform has become, what to censor and what not to censor and etc. I do not envy running that company right now.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A political matter made it a wise choice to double think your investment in a company, sure. never said otherwise.

I was just replying to you turning it into a political argument.

Looking at it from 3,000 feet above and as a non twitter investor, it was likely a good time to pull out while the chaos is happening between twitter, parlor and etc. It cannot be the best time for twitter right now with them learning and navigating how important their platform has become, what to censor and what not to censor and etc. I do not envy running that company right now.

Sure it was a political matter, but ultimately Twitter made a business decision that will at the very least have a short term impact on their growth and profitability.

I agree that they and other social media platform are in a very difficult situation.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Can we cut out the P&R stuff here? We can leave the bickering to the other board.

Back on investing, what do you guys think of the word that Lucid Motors might merge with CCIV to go public? CCIV went up over 30% today on the rumor. Earlier I bought 45 shares with some money I had in my play account's settlement fund just to see what happens. Figured it was worth a chance if it took off and the loss isn't going to kill me even if it goes to 0.

It also has a local tie since they just completed a factory here.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Can we cut out the P&R stuff here? We can leave the bickering to the other board.

I could be wrong, but the only "bickering" was when someone jumped into the convo and complained about the mention of Trump.
Quite simply, Foster posted his joy in dumping Twitter. I offered a differing opinion about the basis for his reason to dump the stock, not knowing he intends to buy it back (since he left that part out of his post). No bickering...

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Back on investing, what do you guys think of the word that Lucid Motors might merge with CCIV to go public? CCIV went up over 30% today on the rumor. Earlier I bought 45 shares with some money I had in my play account's settlement fund just to see what happens. Figured it was worth a chance if it took off and the loss isn't going to kill me even if it goes to 0.

Were you holding prior to the 30% jump? I'm always tempted to sell after an insane one day increase like that. I bought SBGI a couple years ago because I wanted a piece of the ATSC 3.0 (Next Gen TV) potential as they are one of the leaders in the technology and implementation. However, they unexpectedly bought the FOX Regionals from Disney and had a one day increase of nearly 40%. I'm still kicking myself for not selling or at least banking my gains. Now they are drowning in debt and have a lot more questions.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Were you holding prior to the 30% jump? I'm always tempted to sell after an insane one day increase like that. I bought SBGI a couple years ago because I wanted a piece of the ATSC 3.0 (Next Gen TV) potential as they are one of the leaders in the technology and implementation. However, they unexpectedly bought the FOX Regionals from Disney and had a one day increase of nearly 40%. I'm still kicking myself for not selling or at least banking my gains. Now they are drowning in debt and have a lot more questions.

Unfortunately not before it started but I still got about 10% out of it. My hope is though that the Lucid merger happens and it really shoots up. It's a pure gamble with about $500.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The lucid car looks pretty cool. I think a lot of it outside of tsla is hopes to find something like it but totally unlikely. I do however think the lucid car looks cooler than most the tesla cars. Can't hurt to dabble a little though.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The lucid car looks pretty cool. I think a lot of it outside of tsla is hopes to find something like it but totally unlikely. I do however think the lucid car looks cooler than most the tesla cars. Can't hurt to dabble a little though.

A guy at work that's a super TSLA fan boy, he has a car and like 90+% of his portfolio in in it. That's done really well for him this year but long term... Anyway we were talking about EV yesterday since he really stays on top of it. He think Tesla-Lucid are going to be the BMW-Merc of the EV world. Let's hope he's right since it'll be good for this gamble as well as good for the Valley with the factory here.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy at work that's a super TSLA fan boy, he has a car and like 90+% of his portfolio in in it. That's done really well for him this year but long term... Anyway we were talking about EV yesterday since he really stays on top of it. He think Tesla-Lucid are going to be the BMW-Merc of the EV world. Let's hope he's right since it'll be good for this gamble as well as good for the Valley with the factory here.
interesting, it looks like they rely on a third party charging station I have never heard of but it nation wide. It's nice to see more than tesla setting these up.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I opened a small long position in LOW (Lowe's) this morning. Based on calculations of their intrinsic value using projected future cash flows and growth in earnings, it still looks like a good buy with some margin for error despite the market being so high. Just wish I would've bought it in March.

This is not a recommendation for LOW, just sharing.

Any thoughts? I personally prefer them to HD partly because they are so close to me, have cleaner stores, and offer a permanent 10% veteran's discount.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opened a small long position in LOW (Lowe's) this morning. Based on calculations of their intrinsic value using projected future cash flows and growth in earnings, it still looks like a good buy with some margin for error despite the market being so high. Just wish I would've bought it in March.

Any thoughts? I personally prefer them to HD partly because they are so close to me, have cleaner stores, and offer a permanent 10% veteran's discount.

I much prefer Lowes. To me, Home Depot is like Wal-mart and Lowes is more like Target.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What branch did you serve? I was unaware.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a really weird 5 year chart for 2021. lockdown has been good for home improvement.Good for lowes.

You must be registered for see images attach

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you can't go wrong with either. It's like picking between Visa and MasterCard imo. They will mostly follow each other closely over time. So going with the one you mostly shop at is a good method if you're stuck on choosing. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose