OLB Poll

Chandler Jones or Reddick, Golden and a rookie?

• Keep Chandler Jones

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Sign Reddick, Golden and rookie with the pick we get for CJ

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After discussing Chandler on the other thread I'm curious has to other people's opinions.

I'm of the mind it's time to rebuild at OLB and go younger while we can still get something for CJ. As much as I love the guy it's a business.

He's 32 next month. He has a $20m cap hit of which we can get $15.5m back and a draft pick with a trade.

We could resign Reddick, Golden (or other similar level OLB) and pay for a rookie OLB with roughly the same amount of money. Plus you have the extra pick.

Considering we have to resign one of Golden or Reddick at least this would also save us overall cap space.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big year ahead for Jones, especially if paired with a threat.

You're not concerned about his form before he was injured? Or that he doesn't have much time left as a top tier guy? And that he has a new contract on the horizon at age 32?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll never get the guys who want to get rid of Chandler Jones. Oh he had a bad 4 games and just ignore his entire career

a 4 games with pretty much the craziest off season ever.

Jones strikes me as a Freeny type player his game is going to age well. He’s not some super athlete but out of all the great pass rushers he’s the most technical. He has the best hands in the game and he can stack moves on top of moves.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He turns 31 next month (currently 30).

Of course it will come down to the deal and what the coaches saw during the season (did he lose a step?).

Bruce Smith was effective late into his 30's. Got 9 sacks at at 39.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reggie White was effective through at 37.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He turns 31 next month (currently 30).

Of course it will come down to the deal and what the coaches saw during the season (did he lose a step?).

Bruce Smith was effective late into his 30's. Got 9 sacks at at 39.

Reggie White was effective through at 37.

Michael Strahan has been also good in his late 30's

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I voted for keeping Jones. Anyone else, I might consider the other option. But the Jones boys have toughness in their DNA like very few else and take great care of themselves. I don't see CJ falling off in the next 3 years for this reason. Maybe I will be wrong, but I don't question CJ's longetivity like others at his position at all.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only issue I see is someone might see reddicks sack number and make an emotional offer that we will not match.

I believe Golden has no interest in leaving. I believe CJ can still play and wants to be here. Gardeck of course will stay.

The only ? is Reddick and if someone wants to pay him way too much, they can have him. I know he is at his proper position now and improving but he would have to be paid as getting better for me to keep up vs being paid as one of the best.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of examples...obviously the two above are the GOAT.

John Abraham got 11.5 sacks for us at 35 years old.

Freeney also got 8 for us at the same age.

Reaction score
I think someone will over pay Reddick; and I say this as a proponent of Reddick. I first noticed Reddick while he played for Temple, was thrilled with his selection by the Cardinals and watched dismayed as the Cardinals played him out of position for almost three years!! I hope the Cards can make it work to keep him, but I wouldn't want them to overpay him to do so.

I also agree with the comments that Chandler Jones will continue to be effective through the term of his current contract.
Keep Jones, Reddick, Golden, Gardeck.

Jettison Kennard, who's season was a major disappointment; seems he didn't put in the work to keep the nice deal he got from the Cardinals. Perhaps he is too distracted by pursuit of his real estate investment career. "Not that there's anything wrong with that. . ." ;)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pass rushers of CJ ability can stay good until the age of 36 or 37. He still has many years left imo. I'd rather keep him & Reddick. Draft an outside rusher that can study under CJ until his next 4 year deal is done & he retires.