Starting From the Top

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’m going to take a look towards next year a piece at a time.

Starting at the top could mean Bidwill. However, I’m only considering people who could be changed. That would not include Bidwill. So this is about Keim. I’m going to give Keim a pass on coaching decisions. MB is heavily involved in these choices, so it isn’t clear to me if Keim would had made different choices. The Cards have a long time “stay in your lane” policy. This means Keim wouldn’t have a role in game plans and possibly in who’s active. So I’m staying with what I know.

Keim’s world is personnel. It breaks down into mostly 3 areas. The draft, free agents and trades. On the latter, it would be hard to imagine a more successful trader. Arguably the top offensive player & the Cards’ top defensive player both came from trades. The Cards clearly came up ahead on both deals. My only fault would be that this year the Cards should have made moves at the trade deadline. This draft will be the most challenging I can remember. I would have taken the sure things. Maybe they didn’t get the offer with which they could have worked. Still that was my preferred time to act.

Most teams are hit & miss on free agent signing. The Cards are no different. Keim has done well on making castoffs work. Arnold, Nugent, Peko, Golden, and K Peterson. The picture has been more mixed on bigger money free agents. Good signing would include Peters, Pugh and Williams who would be wins. Lee, Campbell, Blackmon, Sweezy and Hicks started strong then faded. Garcia, Kennard and Phillips were overvalued. On the whole this performance looks about low average compared to other GMs. What’s missing is a star or two. You’d think they would hit big on somebody.

The draft is a different issue. Murray is a find but he seemed to be a Kingsbury dictate. Here’s the first round list starting in 2013. Cooper, Bucannon, Humphries, Nkemdiche, Reddick, Rosen, Murray and Simmons. Reddick and Simmons show potential but hideous coaching has made evaluation tough. Humphries was slow developing but seems at least adequate. You might call Bucannon adequate but not worthy of Round 1. The remainder are poor selections bordering on useless. That’s quite a few early picks that failed almost completely. The round 2 list contains Minter, Niklas, Golden, Baker, Kirk, Isabella and Murphy. This is a better group than round 1. Baker is a probable star. Minter and Golden were functional. Murphy is marginal. The 3 pass catchers appear to be failures, but they may keep trying with Kirk. Still that’s marginal success in round 2.

In Keim’s early years stars like Johnson and Mathieu were drafted. Since low round draft picks rarely develop quickly it’s too early to call 2019. 2016-18 produced only Edmonds as an impact role player despite the fact others saw significant playing time. It seems either Keim has lost his touch or the Cards’ scouting has collapsed into ineffectiveness.

On the whole the question is has Keim put a personnel group on the field that can win. I have had issues with Murray’s fragility and the coaching he has received. Still they could win with him. The cast of skilled players surrounding him has one star, Hopkins, one good situational player, Edmonds and two marginally effective players, Arnold & Williams. They have only one quality lineman, Humphries. That’s it and that’s clearly not enough. The rest couldn’t start with the Seahawks or the Rams. This is not a winning offense.

On defense the loss of Jones was significant , though despite big brags, he was off to a slow start. Perhaps he was concealing injury. Patrick Peterson has lost a step. Kirkpatrick declined to be mostly ineffective. Murphy was marginal at best. He got back into slot coverage, but was weak for a second round pick. The remainder were just filling space. Baker emerged as an impact player. He still had some coverage issues but was greatly improved. No other safety distinguished themself. Except for occasionally Campbell, no LB looked effective in coverage or locking down the corner on running plays. They seemed constantly confused in zone. Simmons played too little to be evaluated. The line was perpetually injured. Peters played decently, but showed his age. Phillips regressed badly. A couple of players flashed ability, but this was a weak line.

Special teams had no effective returners and an aging punter. I could forgive the surprising Gonzalez collapse.

In the end this group wasn’t good enough. There were too few stars. Beyond Simmons where are the young players who might be expected to take a big leap forward next season? Keim failed and the future looks questionable. If this were his first or second year in the job I wouldn’t be so concerned. He’s established in the job and failed to deliver. He has to go.

Bucannon was an F selection with Carr and Bridgewater on the board. Neither of them are elite but they were certainly worth the selection with an aging Palmer and 2 bums behind him on the roster.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
That is fair, but I think if you say he needs to go then there should be a group of potential replacements that you list. It's easy to say fire someone and then not suggest a replacement.

So who would you consider as a replacement for Keim?
I had anticipated addressing this later but off the top of my head I’d want to interview Mike Borgonzi, KC Director of Football Ops

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bucannon was an F selection with Carr and Bridgewater on the board. Neither of them are elite but they were certainly worth the selection with an aging Palmer and 2 bums behind him on the roster.

And imagine that it could have been a franchise altering trade. We trade DOWN and then land a franchise QB, while we still had a year of good Palmer, and BA gets a guy to groom who is perfect for his system.

IMO that was our Aaron Rodgers moment in a sense. We could have nabbed sustained quality right there...not that Carr is a world beater but hes a solid NFL qb.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
And imagine that it could have been a franchise altering trade. We trade DOWN and then land a franchise QB, while we still had a year of good Palmer, and BA gets a guy to groom who is perfect for his system.

IMO that was our Aaron Rodgers moment in a sense. We could have nabbed sustained quality right there...not that Carr is a world beater but hes a solid NFL qb.

No doubt. It changed the direction of the franchise and directly led to the panic signing of Bradford and drafting of Rosen. The Keim apologists and BA haters will blame Arians but it’s Keim’s job to plan for the future.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
On the good news side of this ledger, I think that these players are likely in a position to make a Leap forward next season and get everyone excited:

Kyler Murray, QB
Byron Murphy II, CB
Isiah Simmons, LB+
Zach Allen, DE

If we get Reddick back and do something about outside corner, those are good pieces to have in place for the next step.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
On the good news side of this ledger, I think that these players are likely in a position to make a Leap forward next season and get everyone excited:

Kyler Murray, QB
Byron Murphy II, CB
Isiah Simmons, LB+
Zach Allen, DE

If we get Reddick back and do something about outside corner, those are good pieces to have in place for the next step.

You think Allen is a building block player? He's at most a rotational guy, not a upper level starter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is fair, but I think if you say he needs to go then there should be a group of potential replacements that you list. It's easy to say fire someone and then not suggest a replacement.

So who would you consider as a replacement for Keim?
I always think this is a poor argument. None of us, including Harry any longer, are professionals with the intel or time to effectively answer your demand.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You think Allen is a building block player? He's at most a rotational guy, not a upper level starter.

Not an upper-level starter, but he played 85% of the snaps yesterday. He played 88% the week before against the 49ers.

Jordan Phillips has a $12 million cap number next season (and a $10.5 million cap hold if you cut him) and didn't give us much of anything.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Allen took a step forward and played at an Antonio Smith-level of competence.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He showed something recently, at 23 he can turn in a good one

Eh. He's also shown he's injury prone.

I feel like he will be average at best, and a stretch to be mentioning as a young player to build around.

I don't feel very good about Byron Murphy either, another average at best player going forward IMO.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel like he will be average at best, and a stretch to be mentioning as a young player to build around.

I don't feel very good about Byron Murphy either, another average at best player going forward IMO.
Murphy would be a great safety , playing a Tyrann Matthieu role
he is a different player when he plays deep instead of turning the back and chasing receivers

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I had anticipated addressing this later but off the top of my head I’d want to interview Mike Borgonzi, KC Director of Football Ops
Yeah I’d be for someone bright from the KC front office. They tend to take risks, but risks that pay off. Don’t stub their toes often.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The abysmal draft failures.

The inability to construct the barebones of a championship caliber offensive and defensive line falls on keim

The dui? Yep that's keim too

He would have been gone then and at least after the wilks/rosen fiasco.

But his track record since 2015-2016 speaks for itself.

Whenever a team had a poor offensive line. Thats the gms fault. An offensive line takes 5 players go build. You need to be able to evaluate the abilities of a football player to be worth your salt in the nfl

And keim can't do that

Keim should have been fired yesterday at the very latest.

Yet despite the inability to.draft and/or build an offensive line he is still making business decisions impacting a billion dollar organization.

Bidwill doesn't look good in this at all.

He needs to look to the browns for a blueprint.

Jimmy haslam wisened up and realized he wasn't built to run football affairs so he brought in proven and spoken for nfl minds like gm andrew berry and hc kevin stefansky who was a prior offensive coordinator with minnesota vikings

Bidwill needs to fire keim now and bring in an nfl mind to run the team.

I think you can give kliff another year.

Continuity is critical for a young qb and I have no doubt with a proper off season Kyler will be light years better next year.

But the lack of talent in the interior of the offensive and the wr spot sans hopkins is disgusting.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Kyler Murray, QB
Byron Murphy II, CB
Isiah Simmons, LB+
Zach Allen, DE

And a good young LT locked up for years.

And Budda Baker is already a good clean up man.

This is a team that if they make the right decisions THIS offseason, they could be playing for the NFC West title NEXT season.

I'm in the ambivalent about Kliff camp, but I think Keim has run his course here and it's time to move on. Too many losing/mediocre years now. The shine is completely gone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re the only team in the entire conference that hasn’t made the playoffs in the last five years.

the idea that Keim can’t be replaced when he’s responsible for the team being the most consistent loser in the NFC for half a decade is a truly bizarre concept and the greatest evidence of Battered Fan Syndrome yet.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the idea that Keim can’t be replaced when he’s responsible for the team being the most consistent loser in the NFC for half a decade is a truly bizarre concept and the greatest evidence of Battered Fan Syndrome yet.

i think we are getting close -- iirc, he got a 5 year contract when Wilks was hired. So 2022 is his last year under contract. That sets up for a decision having to be made at this time next year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We’re the only team in the entire conference that hasn’t made the playoffs in the last five years.

Yep. He has a long record of average at best. Time to move on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Man there are so many of these ignominious “wins” it gets my stomach churning.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don't see it with Murphy, either. Maybe he would be better in a different scheme, but he doesn't seem to fit ours.

We also need to find some playmakers in the secondary at some point. Murphy and Budda have combined for 3 INTs in 93 games. At some point, guys have to make the big plays to win games.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see it with Murphy, either. Maybe he would be better in a different scheme, but he doesn't seem to fit ours.

We also need to find some playmakers in the secondary at some point. Murphy and Budda have combined for 3 INTs in 93 games. At some point, guys have to make the big plays to win games.
Murphy would be a great free safety

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

. It won’t help my rep but I was wrong on Rodgers too.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

Kyler Murray, QB
Byron Murphy II, CB
Isiah Simmons, LB+
Zach Allen, DE

I would be surprised if Murphy moved forward. He has stiff hips. That can’t be fixed by coaching. Allen might improve slightly, but he’s limited athletically. I just posted on KK that will tell you what I think is the key to Murray. Simmons just needs to play.