I don't see it

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t think there are m(any) power forwards that Jae can’t handle. Ayton is a pure C, and our team is much better having him surrounded by athletic wings that can shoot, then another big plodder.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team has so many competent parts. Even over last year. The great start last year had a couple of players clearly playing over their heads career-wise--the most notable was Baynes.

Crowder, Book, CP3, Mikal, the Cams, Carter all seem to be just playing like who they are. Not one of them is really playing out of his mind except maybe Payne. They are just a good team that seems to be meshing well together and is committed to team defense.

Can't say enough about Jones knowing what pieces to put together, and Monty getting them to commit to the team concept. Monty would not be able to do this with knuckleheads though.

In Ayton's post game interview, someone asked Ayton about his offense getting going and he said: "I don't care about offense, all I care about is defense." I know you all want him to care more about offense, but if that is Monty speaking in his ear, it is a great step in his development. Defense is the path to greatness for Ayton. Bigs in today's NBA need to play D to be worth anything on the court. I do not mind that being his priority.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In Ayton's post game interview, someone asked Ayton about his offense getting going and he said: "I don't care about offense, all I care about is defense." I know you all want him to care more about offense, but if that is Monty speaking in his ear, it is a great step in his development. Defense is the path to greatness for Ayton. Bigs in today's NBA need to play D to be worth anything on the court. I do not mind that being his priority.

That's fine, but then the team needs to stop wasting possessions by trying to force-feed Ayton in the post. I cringe every time it happens, and the success rate is appallingly low. If Ayton wants to play only one end of the floor, great, but then make him a net zero on offense, not a net negative.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This team has so many competent parts. Even over last year. The great start last year had a couple of players clearly playing over their heads career-wise--the most notable was Baynes.

Crowder, Book, CP3, Mikal, the Cams, Carter all seem to be just playing like who they are. Not one of them is really playing out of his mind except maybe Payne. They are just a good team that seems to be meshing well together and is committed to team defense.

Can't say enough about Jones knowing what pieces to put together, and Monty getting them to commit to the team concept. Monty would not be able to do this with knuckleheads though.

I’d rather a player care about the whole game, but that’s just me.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is a net positive on offense just by rolling hard to the basket and providing vertical spacing. He’s a big positive on offense given his rim finishing skills and oreb ability. His passing and range make him just below elite as an offensive player.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’d rather a player care about the whole game, but that’s just me.
I think the point he was making is that he isn't worried about his numbers on offense, not necessarily that he doesn't care about doing his part on offense.

It doesn't matter to him if he scores 10 or 25 as long as he is anchoring the defense and is helping the team win games. That is his primary area of concern.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the point he was making is that he isn't worried about his numbers on offense, not necessarily that he doesn't care about doing his part on offense.

It doesn't matter to him if he scores 10 or 25 as long as he is anchoring the defense and is helping the team win games. That is his primary area of concern.
If his actual words were “I don’t care about offense” he needs to be better with his phrasing. I acknowledge this is a poster quoting him and may not have gotten it right or may have missed the context or nuance. That said words have meaning. Say what you mean.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If his actual words were “I don’t care about offense” he needs to be better with his phrasing. I acknowledge this is a poster quoting him and may not have gotten it right or may have missed the context or nuance. That said words have meaning. Say what you mean.
I mean is Ayton really known for choosing his words wisely in the first place? I just can't imagine that he is suggesting that he just doesn't care at all about offense in general, but that he doesn't care how big his role is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean is Ayton really known for choosing his words wisely in the first place? I just can't imagine that he is suggesting that he just doesn't care at all about offense in general, but that he doesn't care how big his role is.

Here’s my issue with not taking Ayton’s actual words at face value in this situation. His actions on the court back them up. We’ve watched Ayton for two years. People here have ROUTINELY talked about how “historic” his game has been, mostly on offense. This year he hasn’t just looked less aggressive. Until last night, he looked like he wanted no part of the offense at all. I’m hoping last night is the start of an all-around game from him because if he CAN do merely what he did in Season 1 and 2 on offense, I think this team will not just have a chance at the playoffs, but the whole enchilada.

right now our offense is completely perimeter based. And that’s working and CAN be really successful. But the best teams in the league, the real contenders can play a multitude of different ways. Ayton provides another way to attack if he finds his offensive stride again.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Here’s my issue with not taking Ayton’s actual words at face value in this situation. His actions on the court back them up. We’ve watched Ayton for two years. People here have ROUTINELY talked about how “historic” his game has been, mostly on offense. This year he hasn’t just looked less aggressive. Until last night, he looked like he wanted no part of the offense at all. I’m hoping last night is the start of an all-around game from him because if he CAN do merely what he did in Season 1 and 2 on offense, I think this team will not just have a chance at the playoffs, but the whole enchilada.

right now our offense is completely perimeter based. And that’s working and CAN be really successful. But the best teams in the league, the real contenders can play a multitude of different ways. Ayton provides another way to attack if he finds his offensive stride again.
Here is the entire clip. Listen to the whole thing. He does say he doesn't really care about offense, but expands a little further to where it sounds more like he just doesn't care about putting up big numbers or having the offense running through him.

He even alluded to needing to be a threat on that end, but the team already has plenty of offense with all of the shooters on the team so he is more worried about anchoring the defense. It certainly doesn't sound to me like he just doesn't want to play offense or be a factor, but just doesn't care if he is putting up big numbers or getting a whole lot of touches.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is the entire clip. Listen to the whole thing. He does say he doesn't really care about offense, but expands a little further to where it sounds more like he just doesn't care about putting up big numbers or having the offense running through him.

He even alluded to needing to be a threat on that end, but the team already has plenty of offense with all of the shooters on the team so he is more worried about anchoring the defense. It certainly doesn't sound to me like he just doesn't want to play offense or be a factor, but just doesn't care if he is putting up big numbers or getting a whole lot of touches.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don’t think he realizes that when we get punched in face he’s supposed to be the guy that punches back. Shooting has a way of abandoning you occasionally. And it usually abandons you at the worst moment . . . playoffs against better defensive teams that see you night after night for a series. That’s when you have to be capable of countering with the high percentage ground game, so to speak. And for us that should be primarily based on Ayton.

I guess when a dude gets a “DOMINAYTON” tattoo I would think he expects he will . . . I dunno . . . dominate.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys are reading way to much into this. If that was Booker saying I don’t care about points I care about wins everyone would say oh he’s really maturing.

Ayton, Booker and Paul’s points are way down from last season but you knows who’s are up. Everyone else and we are 5-1 while playing the hardest schedule in the NBA.

Monty has clearly said this team is going to hang its hat on defense and everyone is buying in even Booker and Ayton two guys who had reputations in the past as not being good defenders now you see em getting after it

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker hasn't been a great defender but he's been good this year. I thought average might be his peak but he's shown he's capable of really going all out defensively. He's no Mikal but he's on par with Cam and Paul defensively this year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker hasn't been a great defender but he's been good this year. I thought average might be his peak but he's shown he's capable of really going all out defensively. He's no Mikal but he's on par with Cam and Paul defensively this year.

Paul and Cam are good defenders just compared to Bridges they fall short but that’s because Bridges might legit be the best wing defender in the NBA and I don’t think that’s an exaggeration

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it’s funny that people are putting so much stock in a tattoo. I’m sure if you checked the tats of every 2-way player in the NBA, they’d have something similar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be thrilled if Ayton puts his focus on defense first. As I recall this what most of us wanted that from him when he was drafted. I don't worry about his offense so much as it will come in time. He has excellent offensive skills but he may not feel as comfortable playing offense.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is becoming so much more adept at challenging shots without fouling. Started to see it more last year (guarding Lillard on perimeter comes to mind and forcing miss on long three in crunch time), but it’s really ramped up this year. It’s all about the early footwork; he’s becoming like a really good tennis player is at positioning his body optimally before an action needs to occur.

His foul rate is up slightly, but he’s been far more aggressive. I’ll take that trade.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a harsh thread necro, Chris. No one expected this. The OP didn't see it then and now probably does, or has shifted to "Well, let's see it in the playoffs", as many have. I mean for Pete's sake the pundits slobber over Dallas more than Phoenix. Really?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a harsh thread necro, Chris. No one expected this. The OP didn't see it then and now probably does, or has shifted to "Well, let's see it in the playoffs", as many have. I mean for Pete's sake the pundits slobber over Dallas more than Phoenix. Really?

I thought we were already a solid playoff team if we just returned the bubble guys and added a role player or two. And I expected a healthy Chris Paul to make us even better. As it is, we've won several games I didn't expect but more often than not those wins came against shorthanded teams.

The biggest surprises for me this season are Booker's really bad stretches, our late game composure (thanks mostly to Chris Paul) and our failure to take care of business against so many weaker teams. Our actual record isn't that big of a surprise to me but how we got here is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we were already a solid playoff team if we just returned the bubble guys and added a role player or two. And I expected a healthy Chris Paul to make us even better. As it is, we've won several games I didn't expect but more often than not those wins came against shorthanded teams.

The biggest surprises for me this season are Booker's really bad stretches, our late game composure (thanks mostly to Chris Paul) and our failure to take care of business against so many weaker teams. Our actual record isn't that big of a surprise to me but how we got here is.
Naw. Playoff team? Yes. Second best record on the league? No way.

The defense is a huge surprise. Defensive players usually come here and forget how to defend. This teams ability to win games while executing poorly on offense is astounding. The pace of play is what I expected with Paul, I just did not expect it to be this effective.

This team plays like a Popovich Spurs team.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naw. Playoff team? Yes. Second best record on the league? No way.

The defense is a huge surprise. Defensive players usually come here and forget how to defend. This teams ability to win games while executing poorly on offense is astounding. The pace of play is what I expected with Paul, I just did not expect it to be this effective.

This team plays like a Popovich Spurs team.

When we're playing our game we are better than I thought we'd be mostly because our defense is often much better than I expected but I can't say our actual record is much better than I expected. Healthy, I figured we'd win 60 to 65% of our games and I think that's about where we'll end up unless we keep facing short-handed teams. As for being in 2nd, yes that's a surprise but that has as much to do with injuries elsewhere than anything else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When we're playing our game we are better than I thought we'd be mostly because our defense is often much better than I expected but I can't say our actual record is much better than I expected. Healthy, I figured we'd win 60 to 65% of our games and I think that's about where we'll end up unless we keep facing short-handed teams. As for being in 2nd, yes that's a surprise but that has as much to do with injuries elsewhere than anything else.
I'm tired of the "we'd be worse if not for injuries to other teams" excuse.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

During the game thread, what the general attitude was at the start of the journey came up. So rather than make assumptions, I bumped the two threads that show how it all started.

There were people, including myself, who had us at the 4 seed pre Lakers injuries. We added an All NBA Player for two average starters. That's a big shift whenever it happens.