Arizona State Basketball 2020-21

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devils always seem to be playing out of control which leads to bad shots

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Bagley being out really shows up against a team like SD State..
Devils getting demolished in the paint! The Aztecs own the boards. ASU only looking to shoot 3’s.... Not a good look at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils need to get some size inside if they ever want to take the next step. It's tough watching them being outmatched physically especially with Bagley out.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Guard U" definitely needs some beef down low. Otherwise, they don't look ready for prime time.

Verge is a hell of a shooter though. Not impressed by much else last night, I actually was able to watch the second half on Sling. Looked like men playing against boys.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am losing a lot of faith and trust in Hurley... I don’t understand how he isn’t been able to recruit a single legit big man? Hell, even GCU has two of them right now!
Also, his “Run Devils” approach seems so amateurish and ineffective.
GCU outplayed us yesterday and looked the far-better coached team. Had Remy not turned his shooting around in the second half, including that once in a lifetime fall-away corner 3-pointer to ice the game, the Lopes would’ve pulled off the upset.
It’s the same old story with this team... if they are making 3 pointers, they can be competitive. Otherwise, it’s not even a fair fight...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am losing a lot of faith and trust in Hurley... I don’t understand how he isn’t been able to recruit a single legit big man? Hell, even GCU has two of them right now!
Also, his “Run Devils” approach seems so amateurish and ineffective.
GCU outplayed us yesterday and looked the far-better coached team. Had Remy not turned his shooting around in the second half, including that once in a lifetime fall-away corner 3-pointer to ice the game, the Lopes would’ve pulled off the upset.
It’s the same old story with this team... if they are making 3 pointers, they can be competitive. Otherwise, it’s not even a fair fight...

I totally agree with you. If other teams can have big men, so should Arizona State.

Until the Sun Devils get Bagley back, they will have a hard time winning. Bagley helps to spread the court and drives the ball to the basket. However, without an inside presence, they won't go very far.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. If other teams can have big men, so should Arizona State.

Until the Sun Devils get Bagley back, they will have a hard time winning. Bagley helps to spread the court and drives the ball to the basket. However, without an inside presence, they won't go very far.

Yep... Bagley is a tremendous talent for sure, but he's still not the legit BIG they need... They really need a Romello White, only about 3-4 inches taller. They're out there and why Hurley hasn't been able to consistently secure that guy is troubling...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... Bagley is a tremendous talent for sure, but he's still not the legit BIG they need... They really need a Romello White, only about 3-4 inches taller. They're out there and why Hurley hasn't been able to consistently secure that guy is troubling...

I'm trying to think of the last good big man at Arizona State. There has to be players since Ike Diogu and Mario Bennett.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were a couple of the best. Scott Lloyd should be added to the list as well.

I forgot Kurt Nimphius.

As a senior in 1979–1980 under Coach Wulk, Nimphius averaged 16.6 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.2 assists, shooting 60% from the field. Arizona State finished 22–7 and 15–3 in the Pac-10 Conference. He led the team in scoring and rebounding, playing alongside Byron Scott, Sam Williams, Alton Lister and Fat Lever.[6][5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Nimphius

That was a helluva team

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Jordan Bachynski is probably best ASU big man, post-millennium. Not a lot to choose from.

I don't think it's a matter of Hurley not being able to recruit them. He just doesn't choose to. He has that John Belein mind set of thinking you can win playing an entirely perimeter oriented offense.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Man that was a pathetic performance last night! Once again they were dominated in the paint and on the boards.
So again, they tried to win from outside, only they couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn... 1 for 18 from three point land!!! Wow!
This is one of the worst Sun Devil teams I’ve seen in quite a while... gonna be a long and depressing season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that was a pathetic performance last night! Once again they were dominated in the paint and on the boards.
So again, they tried to win from outside, only they couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn... 1 for 18 from three point land!!! Wow!
This is one of the worst Sun Devil teams I’ve seen in quite a while... gonna be a long and depressing season.

I don't recall a shooting stat like that college or professional. This was supposed to have been one of Hurley's better teams until Bagley got hurt.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be worse - Washington lost T home to a really bad Montana team, whose only previous win was against
tiny Yellowstone Christian College

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It could be worse - Washington lost T home to a really bad Montana team, whose only previous win was against
tiny Yellowstone Christian College

Yeah. UTEP isn't a horrible team. ASU was atrocious in the 2nd half. They scored something like 20 points. When you make as many bad decisions and take as many bad shots as the Devils do, they will find struggles against mediocre teams.

Definition of insanity...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Bagley is set to return immediately.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State has it's fourth straight basketball game postponed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose