I don't see it

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm the eternal optimist - I swore Buddy Ryan would get the Cards to the playoffs - but I just don't think this Suns team merits the hype it seems to be getting from local media and guys like LeBron.

I think we're still middling and destined to fall outside of the pack. What am I missing?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
You aren’t missing a thing. The local media gushes about anything regarding the Suns and definitely over hypes the team and players year after year leading to expectations that can’t be met. LeBron is a friend of Paul and is just being a good guy/friend when acting like Paul is a game changer. Paul was brought in to attempt to bring credibility and a pseudo big 3 to the franchise- nothing more than that.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the eternal optimist - I swore Buddy Ryan would get the Cards to the playoffs - but I just don't think this Suns team merits the hype it seems to be getting from local media and guys like LeBron.

I think we're still middling and destined to fall outside of the pack. What am I missing?

You may not be missing anything but if you're judging it based on two Utah games, I'd rethink that conclusion. I've seen nothing from them so far that gives me much hope but we've been minus key pieces in each game in addition to playing in altitude following a very shortened training camp.

If Paul is as advertised and if he stays healthy, this should be a pretty solid team. Playoffs? Hard to say. They certainly haven't looked like one yet. But writing them off is premature when they played the first night without Paul, Saric or Crowder and the second game they got 17 minutes from Paul but were without Saric, Crowder, Cameron Johnson and Cameron Payne.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns top four scorers in order last season were: Booker, Oubre, Ayton and Rubio. Two of those four players have been traded.

Let's see if the Suns have replaced those two players and improved.

At the moment my biggest questions center around Chris Paul and Deandre Ayton. Is Paul a significant improvement over Ricky Rubio and why does Ayton appear to be so out of shape.

The bright side, it's only preseason and it's too early to judge.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Behind the scenes: roster turnover is a big issue, a lot of new guys have to learn new schemes, terms and plays

On the court: key players are missing from the lineups, coaching staff is trying to figure out roles for the new players on the team.

Things will start to smooth over the next 2 weeks.

The biggest concern is Ayton. Booker is in mid-season form and ready to go, CP3 is seasoned and knows what to do. Ayton, still too passive, still not aggressive, still lost in the game. Its year 3, he's been disappointing to say the least. You have other guys ready to play, i mean freagin Zion was injured and missed a lot of time, came out and had a good preseason debut. We've also seen rookies like Jalen Smith and Toppin attack the rim already in preseason, i dont think i've ever seen Ayton attack without being set up.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They had a good thing going in the bubble. I am still not sold on the CP3 trade. Messing with chemistry.

Expectations are so high, it will be hard for this team NOT to disappoint.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They had a good thing going in the bubble. I am still not sold on the CP3 trade. Messing with chemistry.
We have only seen like 17 minutes of CP3 so far (which looked solid BTW). We also haven't seen close to the whole rotation in a game yet with Saric, Crowder, Payne, CP3 and Cam all missing games.

I suspect this team will look good come regular season when they have everyone playing and they have had a little more time to gel.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe there were things going on behind the scene with Oubre. Maybe the Suns simply did not want to pay him.

It's harder to explain trading away Rubio when the Suns could have added to the team and cleared money by trading Oubre to further improve the team.

I don't want to go there, but if Paul can't play regular minutes the need to add a point guard.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We were playing our deep bench, some times none of the 5 guys on the court were on the team last year. None of them. And they were playing a lot against the Jazz starters and top 8 rotation, guys that have played together for years and were in the playoffs a short while ago.

It was ugly, but not concerning. I'm clad our bench crew got to play against all-star competition. We haven't seen any real play from our top 8 of CP, Booker, Mikael, Crowder, Ayton, Saric, Johnson, etc.

The only concerning thing that's happening in pre-season is that Ayton is still himself. He didn't magically change over the 2 month off season. He probably won't ever change. His personality is goofy and he is very immature. He plays with a weird, fidgety energy. I don't see him becoming a dominant basketball player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have only seen like 17 minutes of CP3 so far (which looked solid BTW). We also haven't seen close to the whole rotation in a game yet with Saric, Crowder, Payne, CP3 and Cam all missing games.

I suspect this team will look good come regular season when they have everyone playing and they have had a little more time to gel.

Paul was a minus-10 on 2 for 7 shooting and couldn't guard a chair. In what world does that look solid?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Paul was a minus-10 on 2 for 7 shooting and couldn't guard a chair. In what world does that look solid?
Yes in his first game action in months and after just a week of training camp. Unbelievable that he isn't in midseason form already...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes in his first game action in months and after just a week of training camp. Unbelievable that he isn't in midseason form already...

His opponents sure were, by comparison, as was just about everyone else out there...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...dre-ayton-after-mondays-loss-utah/3904173001/

It's preseason but that ain't stopping Monte from calling out DominAyton.

That's why you have to be careful about what you permanently ink into your body, otherwise you may have to add a "Not" before it if you can't live up to it.

"I love defense," Ayton said on Dec. 3. "I love to make my opponents look bad on defense. I love that. I love being amplified and intimidating people. I love to intimidate them on the floor. I love it."

blah blah blah

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe there were things going on behind the scene with Oubre. Maybe the Suns simply did not want to pay him.

It's harder to explain trading away Rubio when the Suns could have added to the team and cleared money by trading Oubre to further improve the team.

I don't want to go there, but if Paul can't play regular minutes the need to add a point guard.
Oubre did not play in the bubble. Trading him was a way of maintaining the bubble chemistry. Rubio is the issue.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre did not play in the bubble. Trading him was a way of maintaining the bubble chemistry. Rubio is the issue.

Oubre went to Orlando with the Suns. He was there.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Starting to wonder if Oubre's presence meant something culturally, even if he didn't play. The team looks lifeless now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I love defense," Ayton said on Dec. 3. "I love to make my opponents look bad on defense. I love that. I love being amplified and intimidating people. I love to intimidate them on the floor. I love it."

blah blah blah

if this guy really believes the laughable crap he says, this team is screwed because that means he thinks he's already arrived.

i see that quote and all I think is "Shut up idiot."

and to head off the questions of "why do I care what he says?" It's because I don't like cheering for idiots or players in complete denial of who they are, which will keep them from ever being the player we hope they SHOULD and we NEED them to be.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
if this guy really believes the laughable crap he says, this team is screwed because that means he thinks he's already arrived.

i see that quote and all I think is "Shut up idiot."

and to head off the questions of "why do I care what he says?" It's because I don't like cheering for idiots or players in complete denial of who they are, which will keep them from ever being the player we hope they SHOULD and we NEED them to be.

He really comes across as a super naive, incredibly immature adolescent with zero motivation...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if Oubre's presence meant something culturally, even if he didn't play. The team looks lifeless now.

This is just silly.

The team is going to be fine. Paul had 6 assists in 17 minutes and created easy shots out of the pick and roll.

Ayton was a no show last night. He does that from time to time, and when he does we aren't likely to win, but it is more an exception than the norm.

Actually what bothered me the most last night was shot selection. We took WAY to many mid range jumpers, and rarely drove all the way to the basket which would get our free throw numbers up. Not enough 3's either.