Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon.com essential video
Here's an event movie that holds up to being an event. This filmed version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, adapted from the wildly popular book by J.K. Rowling, stunningly brings to life Harry Potter's world of Hogwarts, the school for young witches and wizards. The greatest strength of the film comes from its faithfulness to the novel, and this new cinematic world is filled with all the details of Rowling's imagination, thanks to exuberant sets, elaborate costumes, clever makeup and visual effects, and a crème de la crème cast, including Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, Alan Rickman, and more. Especially fine is the interplay between Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and his schoolmates Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson), as well as his protector, the looming Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane). The second-half adventure--involving the titular sorcerer's stone--doesn't translate perfectly from page to screen, ultimately because of the film's fidelity to the novel; this is a case of making a movie for the book's fans, as opposed to a transcending film. Writer Steve Kloves and director Chris Columbus keep the spooks in check, making this a true family film, and with its resourceful hero wide-eyed and ready, one can't wait for Harry's return. Ages 8 and up. --Doug Thomas

Finally watched the 4th highest grossing film of all-time. My boys and I just finished reading the book and I was very impressed at how closely the movie followed it. Although I'm not as engrossed in this story as most people, I'm still looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Richard Harris only agreed to taking the part of Albus Dumbledore after his eleven year old granddaughter threatened never to speak to him again.

Funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This one was by far the most faithful to the book. Number 2 is pretty close as well. Number 3 was way, way off, but a good movie on its own. Number 4 was far better than 3. Number 5 was about like 4, but it brought more of an edge, probably from how the books progress.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
We went to Universal Studios back in March, actually the weekend before everything shut down. I'm not really an HP fan, but I must admit that the harry potter world is pretty cool.

My daughter hasn't seen any of the films, so we decided to watch them all. I watched them years ago with my boys, but they're all a jumbled mess in my brain and I got lost several times through the series.

We made it through this one. They're all so young!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are!

This one is extremely faithful to the book.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went to Universal Studios back in March, actually the weekend before everything shut down. I'm not really an HP fan, but I must admit that the harry potter world is pretty cool.

My daughter hasn't seen any of the films, so we decided to watch them all. I watched them years ago with my boys, but they're all a jumbled mess in my brain and I got lost several times through the series.

We made it through this one. They're all so young!

got to go to Universal Studios last year round this time for free with some friends and got to check out Potter World at night. We were stoned to the bejeezus and it was pretty awesome. The ride inside the big castle was pretty great too.

I miss doing things.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
got to go to Universal Studios last year round this time for free with some friends and got to check out Potter World at night. We were stoned to the bejeezus and it was pretty awesome. The ride inside the big castle was pretty great too.

I miss doing things.
Was that the only time you’ve been to the Harry Potter land ever? Because while Hogsmeade is recreated pretty much the exact same in Florida at Islands of Adventure, Studios in Florida has Diagon Alley and it beats Hogsmeade by a lot. They even have a small section in the back representing Knockturn Alley ending at a store with a bunch of the darker HP merchandise.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am repurchasing this entire set in 4K. One problem I had, especially with this movie, was the quality of the transfer for Blu-ray. It was awful. The new 4K version was remastered from the films original negatives. The new color correction and and HDR encoding was a huge improvement over the soft results from the previous version. I was a tad disappointed there was no ATMOS but the DTS:X sound track is pretty amazing.

A Harry Potter marathon is a family tradition around Christmas and the new 4K version is a MUST have.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I am repurchasing this entire set in 4K. One problem I had, especially with this movie, was the quality of the transfer for Blu-ray. It was awful. The new 4K version was remastered from the films original negatives. The new color correction and and HDR encoding was a huge improvement over the soft results from the previous version. I was a tad disappointed there was no ATMOS but the DTS:X sound track is pretty amazing.

A Harry Potter marathon is a family tradition around Christmas and the new 4K version is a MUST have.

The UHD release is great on these. Philosopher's Stone shows its age a bit in the CGI but the rest of them held up well and the new audio mix was great. The flying keys scene was one of the audio stand outs in PS.

I wouldn't be disappointed over DTS:X over Atmos. They do essentially the same thing and give great results. The HP and Bourne movies are both in it and have some of the best use of heights of any movie in my collection. Atmos looks a little better on paper but most releases still aren't using it correctly, especially Disney releases. They're not using objects correctly and in many cases are hard coding the height to either 2 or 4 channels. The mixers are getting better with it but it still has more potential.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UHD release is great on these. Philosopher's Stone shows its age a bit in the CGI but the rest of them held up well and the new audio mix was great. The flying keys scene was one of the audio stand outs in PS.

I wouldn't be disappointed over DTS:X over Atmos. They do essentially the same thing and give great results. The HP and Bourne movies are both in it and have some of the best use of heights of any movie in my collection. Atmos looks a little better on paper but most releases still aren't using it correctly, especially Disney releases. They're not using objects correctly and in many cases are hard coding the height to either 2 or 4 channels. The mixers are getting better with it but it still has more potential.

True object based sound verses the DTS:X IS disappointing but only a little simply because they did such a great job with the new mix. As I stated it's really good. I can live with it for sure. It's still reference IMO.

Also, the technology of ATMOS isn't the problem. Just as all the crappy Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital and DTS mixes were not those formats problem. Crappy mixes on audio formats or video encoding issues are nothing new. They are only as good as what the engineers put into it. When ATMOS is done correctly, it's game changing and it's my favorite change along with HDR.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
True object based sound verses the DTS:X IS disappointing but only a little simply because they did such a great job with the new mix. As I stated it's really good. I can live with it for sure. It's still reference IMO.

Also, the technology of ATMOS isn't the problem. Just as all the crappy Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital and DTS mixes were not those formats problem. Crappy mixes on audio formats or video encoding issues are nothing new. They are only as good as what the engineers put into it. When ATMOS is done correctly, it's game changing and it's my favorite change along with HDR.

BTW, DTS:X is object based too and it comes down to the mixers. The main thing that always limited it for me was that it was only 11 channels. DTS:X Pro which has started rolling out to AVRs (mine got it about a month ago) ups it to 32 channels. So my 7.2.6 layout essentially acts the same now between DTS:X and Atmos. So with both it comes down not to the mixers properly using objects instead of hard coding the channels.

If you haven't yet, grab the Lord of the Rings UHD for reference Atmos. It's amazing. Hands down the best sound in my collection.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that the only time you’ve been to the Harry Potter land ever? Because while Hogsmeade is recreated pretty much the exact same in Florida at Islands of Adventure, Studios in Florida has Diagon Alley and it beats Hogsmeade by a lot. They even have a small section in the back representing Knockturn Alley ending at a store with a bunch of the darker HP merchandise.

yup. I’m not a big Potterhead, so it’s not much of a big deal to me. But it was free and we were high so it was awesome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose