Free Agency 2020

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kelly was a bit of a blackhole at times, but his ability to put his head down and get to the rim was needed at times especially with Booker on the bench.

Now we have a far superior bucket getter in Paul.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But Bridges can't shoot or create, which is a major liability at SG. Meanwhile, we don't have a singly back-up SF. And we STILL don't have a serviceable starting PF.

Mikal had a 62 ts% last year. He needs to be more consistent from long range which he’s shown the ability to do for stretches.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually there are rumors that other teams were interested in Paul to include the Clippers and Bucks. So yes there apparently was competition to get him. We wanted to make sure we were the ones to pull it off so we met them with the draft pick. There was plenty of talk of them wanting even more than they got.

I don't believe it.

Clippers had no way to do the deal with the salaries they have - yeah Paul wanted to go there but it was impossible.
Millwaukee is to tight against the cap to have made the move either.

He wanted to come here.

Bottom line is Jones caved for no good reason.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We probably will be able to keep Saric because he wants to be here, and I don't think other teams have much interest.

I just feel like this offseason is turning into a debacle. So far James Jones has thrown away 2 first round picks, and signed an inefficient player for above his market value.

With James Jones's history as GM, were you honestly expecting anything different?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The 2022 pick is going to be in the 20s so how is that a big loss?

As for Jalen Smith, it seems like some people are ignoring the general consensus in this draft. There was very little separation between picks 4 and 25. So we picked a guy that we maybe could have gotten at 20. Or even 14. And people are crying that we could have had pick 30?? Come on.

The Suns shouldn’t have included a pick bottom line. To answer your question I think that pick could’ve come in handy had we needed it for a trade to improve the team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As for Jalen Smith, it seems like some people are ignoring the general consensus in this draft. There was very little separation between picks 4 and 25. So we picked a guy that we maybe could have gotten at 20. Or even 14. And people are crying that we could have had pick 30?? Come on.

First off you have no idea what pick we are going to get in 2022.

2nd off All-NBA players are sometimes late firsts or even 2nd rounders.

I just can't believe how everyone on this board is making excuses for Jones's terrible GM skills.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crowder is only 30. There is no reason why he should be in decline unless he has had some major injuries I don't know about.

Different bodies react differently to the rigors of pro sports. Crowder has not only been in decline, but steep decline, since his days in Boston. Frankly, just from the numbers, it looks like he got kind of lazy once he got paid.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With James Jones's history as GM, were you honestly expecting anything different?

Not really, but I was hoping maybe after needlessly throwing away picks last offseason somebody would have reprimanded him and he would not do it again.

Obviously that did not happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I don’t think that was the consensus. Everything I read said 3 top players followed by 6 in second tier and then everyone else was a toss up. We did not take one of those top 9 projected. The kid who went 4th was a late add to that club of 4-9.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The clippers lost two big men. You have to think they'd have som interest in Baynes. I believe they did last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't believe it.

Clippers had no way to do the deal with the salaries they have - yeah Paul wanted to go there but it was impossible.
Millwaukee is to tight against the cap to have made the move either.

He wanted to come here.

Bottom line is Jones caved for no good reason.
No bottom line is that you believe he caved because you see no good reason.

You are completely overlooking the Bucks. They absolutely could have put a package together to get Paul that would have resembled the one we did.

They may have felt the price a was a little too steep in the end, but they were at least one other team showing interest. They probably just weren't willing to match our offer once we made it.

It worked out pretty well for them though because they were able to later pull a trade for Jrue.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t think that was the consensus. Everything I read said 3 top players followed by 6 in second tier and then everyone else was a toss up. We did not take one of those top 9 projected. The kid who went 4th was a late add to that club of 4-9.

I would be concerned if “draft consensus” had a track record of being consistently right and never missing. Draft analysis is very very hard and so much depends on player development staff and coaching. Cam Johnson is a good early feather in the Suns’ current PDS and coaching.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do too. I just think It’s dangerous relying solely on him for shot creation, even off the bench.

I don't think Saric is a shot creator other than by his passing skills that's why I like him as a small ball center.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No bottom line is that you believe he caved because you see no good reason.

You are completely overlooking the Bucks. They absolutely could have put a package together to get Paul that would have resembled the one we did.

They may have felt the price a was a little too steep in the end, but they were at least one other team showing interest. They probably just weren't willing to match our offer once we made it.

It worked out pretty well for them though because they were able to later pull a trade for Jrue.

how would the bucks have come up with 44 million bucks in salary without gutting the team?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ty Jerome and the pick he gave away in the CP3 trade would be my guess.

I'm talking about the one in CP3 trade, and the one we could have had by trading down to 14 - and still selecting Jalen Smith - and yes it has now come out Boston did offer us the 30th pick to move down.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You may disagree, but I DID read that. But hey, if that helps perpetuate the fantasy that James Jones is a horrible GM, then so be it. (Not saying you follow that opinion, as I believe you do not)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave