15 thoughts - Seahawks game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Despite the many mental mistakes, the Cards was still in the game until the last second. That is absolutely a positive.

2 – It is a good idea to play to your strength. How did Kyler Murray only have five rushes?

3 – When you play another team two time in such a short time, I believe that coaching is bigger than usual. The Seahawks’ coaches had obviously used the time better than the Cards’.

4 – Angelo Blackson was fine moving to nose tackle instead of Corey Peters. It was obviously a huge loss to be without Peters, but again, Blackson played okay.

5 – The offense is simply more fun to watch when Fitzgerald gets involved a lot. Not that it is necessarily more effective, though, but more fun.

6 – Kenyan Drake had a bad game, but to be fair, the Seahawks had eight man or more in the box on 55% of the plays.

7 – Interesting idea from Vance Joseph to deploy packages with no defensive linemen at all. Probably out of necessity, yes, but still pretty innovative. Was it a good idea? The Seahawks ran for 5.3 yards per carry, so probably not.

8 – I have not before seen Kyler Murray protect himself so bad.

9 – I did not mind the challenge at the end of the game. It was not a clearcut outcome, and imagine if the Cards had gotten the ball. The defense couldn’t stop an old lady with a stick, so why not gamble on the referees instead?

10 – Oh no, Jalen Thompson. Not again. Get well soon, please.

11 – You have three extreme athletes like Budda Baker, Isaiah Simmons and Hasson Reddick, and still you cannot stop Russell Wilson from running around for eternities. Everyone with eyes can see that Wilson is good, but figure it out, Vance Joseph! Easily the most frustrating play in football.

12 – There are a long time to talk about this, but I thought about it during the game, so why not? Andy Isabella is useless and Hollywood Brown struggles in Baltimore. The Cards run more four receiver sets than anyone else in the NFL. Next offseason throw them a fifth and give Kyler Murray his favorite target from the Oklahoma days.

13 – Big game by Isaiah Simmons. Yes, hard to care much about now, but it is encouraging.

14 – Earlier this season was a debate amongst us fans whether to play Mason Cole or Lamont Gaillard. I think we need to remember that we have no idea what Cole brings to the table beside his play, but based on that play alone, the debate is still very relevant.

15 – Four games in a row where they have been behind at halftime. Maybe it would be an effective plan to start faster next time.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Weird time to complain about Mason Cole when he was the only OL that didn’t have any mistakes last night

Right, Cole is fine - the OL has taken a big step back when Sweezy came back. Murray (OL) is so much better. That holding in the end-zone was horrible, he completely whiffed on his guy and had to reach his arm back. He's awful.

Reactions: PJ1

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Right, Cole is fine - the OL has taken a big step back when Sweezy came back. Murray (OL) is so much better. That holding in the end-zone was horrible, he completely whiffed on his guy and had to reach his arm back. He's awful.

Funny, but I always wonder how a D lineman can get off the ball so much faster than an O lineman. Doesn't the O player know the count and when the ball is going to be hiked anymore? I always thought that was supposed to give the O lineman a better start. What am I missing in today's game?

Whenever I see a D lineman getting around the O lineman before the guy even gets out of his stance, it's like the D knows the count and the O is waiting for the D to react first. Seems backward to me.

Oh well, should all get better with time. He is young and learning still. We still need a really good WR to go with Hopkins and Kirk. Fitz is all but done in, and none of the others seem to be the answer. If we had only taken Metcalf instead of you know who! What were we thinking? Didn't we compare their 40 times to go along with the tape or eye test?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 –
13 – Big game by Isaiah Simmons. Yes, hard to care much about now, but it is encouraging.

why is it hard to care about now? it was great to see and the best thing to come out of last night's game.

15 – Four games in a row where they have been behind at halftime. Maybe it would be an effective plan to start faster next time.

this is definitely a problem. this team seems like it's routinely not ready to play at the start of games.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Another thing: Am I wrong, or isn't Murray always taking a second look at the open WR before he throws it? Seems like he is pausing an extra beat to be sure what he is seeing is real sometimes. Like he doesn't trust himself fully or wants to make double sure before he passes it. It seems like that extra beat is often letting the pass rusher get in his face more, shove him off balance, or keeping him from following through, thus making him alter his throw or take something off his throw.

Murray certainly should have worked with his WRs enough by now for them to be on the same page and trust their route running and them being where they should be, as they practiced it. Timing routes seem to be a bit few and far between to me. Maybe I am just nitpicking?

Last edited:

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Especially after Kyler hurt his shoulder, why didn't we go bug package, extra oline and pound thr rock. Probably because the line was so off.

Guess I answered my own question, lol

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Especially after Kyler hurt his shoulder, why didn't we go bug package, extra oline and pound thr rock. Probably because the line was so off.

Guess I answered my own question, lol

Our line, Our line ...... each year we are constantly talking about our line. Will that ever not be the case?

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
Our line, Our line ...... each year we are constantly talking about our line. Will that ever not be the case?

They have been pretty good. Sweezy is done, cooked, finished. Losing Murray is a big downgrade. I would rather see Josh Jones getting his growing pains out of the way then watch Sweezy take another snap.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Weird time to complain about Mason Cole when he was the only OL that didn’t have any mistakes last night

No, DVontel, he did make mistakes. I have found just a few examples. I would say it was a fairly normal game for Cole, and not one that should quiet the talk if you want to replace him with Gaillard.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
why is it hard to care about now? it was great to see and the best thing to come out of last night's game.

Well, just because they lost the game. I always take a day or two to really appreciate things like Simmons’ good game, but it doesn’t mean that I cannot see it objectively.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Three things:
1. #2- Kyler's injury impacted the entire game. Didn't want to make it worse by running more. JMO.
2. #11-W/o Chandler Jones we don't have much of a pass rush, unless we're blitzing.
3. #15-Agree.

And once again thanks for your "Famous Fifteen".

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Three things:
1. #2- Kyler's injury impacted the entire game. Didn't want to make it worse by running more. JMO.

I agree, Garth. I also think that was the reason. But I must say that there is a part of me that cannot help think that you must try to win every game. There are not so many in a season, and especially a division match, you have to go for it. That said, yes, you are right. What if he had been badly injured? Then it would have been even tougher to qualify through the few games that are left. And in a playoff game they might have handled it differently.

And once again thanks for your "Famous Fifteen".

Thank you, Garth! Highly appreciated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose