Cards want to trade for JJ Watt?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He's not 27, he's 31. That is an 'old' 31 based on those season-ending injuries. DL is banging hard every play and the toll is higher on a player along the line than the same injury hampering someone playing off the line. He is another season-ending injury just waiting to happen.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/jj-watt/4914#:~:text=J.J. Watt Injury History Date,finger. He ... 6 more rows

"Watt heads into his age-31 season having played just 32 of a possible 64 games over the past 4 years. "

I'd give a low-round pick (2022) and cash coming back from the Texans before adding him to our roster.
He was talking about Grady Jarrett, not JJ Watt.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone specified on the draft pick yet? I’d take him for a late round pick, which is what I would expect him to fetch him at this point.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was talking about Grady Jarrett, not JJ Watt.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I read the title of the thread and didn't realize the conversation had flipped to a different player. Maybe need to start a thread for a new player of interest?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure its the right choice, but I'm not against it. I think some of you are underestimating how big a difference one good player can make. If we didn't get Hopkins there is zero chance we beat the 49ers or Seahawks and nobody is talking about us making the playoffs this year. Hell, just look at what happened to our defense when Budda got hurt. Completely different. One player can make or break a team, and Watt is still good from what I hear.

Plus if we make a deep playoff run with both Watt and Hopkins it would destroy Texans' fan's souls.

EDIT: Apparently its not Watt on this thread anymore? I'll take the Atlanta guy hands down.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dealing superstar defender JJ Watt remains unlikely, sources said, though many other front office executives believe the veteran would be very open to going to a contender at this stage of his career. However, he is a favorite of ownership and that fanbase, has a hefty salary ($17.5M next year) and is unlikely to command the kind of offers it would require for ownership to seriously consider moving him. Defensive end Whitney Mercilus remains the subject of trade talks as well, with numerous contending teams seeking to boost their pass rush by the deadline.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-are-interested-and-multiple-trades-expected/

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
This isn’t the missing piece. Too much draft capital and money for a guy who’s physical prime is not now.

Let the young DLmen play.

CB would be the only spot I would take on major money this season.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn’t the missing piece. Too much draft capital and money for a guy who’s physical prime is not now.

Let the young DLmen play.

CB would be the only spot I would take on major money this season.
What would the draft pick(s) be?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no idea. He is under contract, but the guaranteed money is done so he may want a new deal.

I would offer a 3rd, if they want more maybe a 2022 3rd that can become a 2nd if he meets certain criteria.

CB2 is the weak link from what I can see.
I think everyone is way off on what the cost would be. I think if Watt is actually on the market, the cost wouldn’t be more than a 4th or a 5th.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Whatever it takes...... give it to NE for Gilmore.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Whatever it takes...... give it to NE for Gilmore.
No thanks on Gilmore..

Agree on the Grady Jarrett thoughts in this thread.

If Watt would play for 5-6 mil per year...yes. He is a productive role player at this point in his career and is only worth acquiring if he is willing to be paid like it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
re Watt? Here is the thing. If I could get him for a 5th - 7th pick, and he would take a salary reduction, he could help this defense like Corey Peters has done. That said I don't think the Texans would trade him for that and I don't believe he is interested in taking that sort of pay cut which is why it doesn't happen for any team.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watt isn't going to get traded unless he has asked them to move him to a contender. His value is about a 4th rounder right now...and why would Houston let him go for that? Another PR nightmare...and I think he brings some of the "leadership" stuff that we keep Larry on a big contract for.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If you take away the loyalty factor (which I know you can’t) he’s literally the perfect guy for Houston to trade. Not only are they terrible but they’re already over the cap next year and have no first or second rd picks. If they can get a day 2 pick I think he’s gone.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am reading this right, he can be cut in the offseason with no cap impact. I think we'd be on the hook for $8 million for the rest of the season, but only have $4 million in space right now. If we could send maybe Sweezy back and a 6th round pick, it could be worth it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
re Watt? Here is the thing. If I could get him for a 5th - 7th pick, and he would take a salary reduction, he could help this defense like Corey Peters has done. That said I don't think the Texans would trade him for that and I don't believe he is interested in taking that sort of pay cut which is why it doesn't happen for any team.

I was just going along with the play on Watt's name. It was supposed to be "Watt you talking about Willis?"

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was just going along with the play on Watt's name. It was supposed to be "Watt you talking about Willis?"

Making references to ancient TV sitcoms only works with ancient TV viewers. A whole bunch of people on this forum were not even born when that show was popular. Dynamite! Golly----eee! It's the big one, Elizabeth. I'm comin' to join you.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Making references to ancient TV sitcoms only works with ancient TV viewers. A whole bunch of people on this forum were not even born when that show was popular. Dynamite! Golly----eee! It's the big one, Elizabeth. I'm comin' to join you.

That last one brings back happy memories of TV time with Dad, he loved Sanford & Son.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose