Vance's 0-6-5 package

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This will be a great package to play against Tua. He won’t be ready for this being a rookie in his 2nd game. Plus this is a great package to Run against the Rams where Goff wants to roll out. He won’t have to time to take the hand off and roll out for 3 seconds.

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
Obviously not something to bust out when the run is a high possibility, but on obvious pass downs it is a truly great personnel package.
It's great for passing downs. Reminds me of the old Marvin Lewis/Rex Ryan defenses in Baltimore. Mass confusion for protection which leads to guys coming in unblocked for easy hits on the quarterback.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's great for passing downs. Reminds me of the old Marvin Lewis/Rex Ryan defenses in Baltimore. Mass confusion for protection which leads to guys coming in unblocked for easy hits on the quarterback.
If they want to use it quite a bit throughout the year they might want to mix up who rushes and who drops into coverage. From what I can tell so far it’s always been the outside 2 on each side that has rushed.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If they want to use it quite a bit throughout the year they might want to mix up who rushes and who drops into coverage. From what I can tell so far it’s always been the outside 2 on each side that has rushed.

I think they did a good job of switching up the blitzer, especially in 4th and OT. You had Budda once on a sack...then later in the same formation Budda dropped and Murphy came free for the sack.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they did a good job of switching up the blitzer, especially in 4th and OT. You had Budda once on a sack...then later in the same formation Budda dropped and Murphy came free for the sack.

Baker actually went in too but the RB picked him up so Murphy was free. The obvious thing there is screen to the RB but he's got to block somebody and the way the Cards are doing it, if the RB did go out, you would hope Baker would see he it and try and pick him up.

Eventually we're going to send Simmons up the middle like we used to with D Wash and he's going to wreak havoc. So far he always drops into coverage, eventually he won't

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love it. But if someone converts and has the awareness to go hurry up we will have to burn a timeout to get some DL on the field.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
wow! This almost seems like it’s against the rules but obviously it’s not. In obvious passing situations, we should definitely use this a LOT! The big guys upfront try their best, but I’ve had enough of seeing people stonewalled at the line and giving the quarterback so much time to dissect the defense.

this actually seems like it could be a huge change in the way NFL defenses operate from now on.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
wow! This almost seems like it’s against the rules but obviously it’s not. In obvious passing situations, we should definitely use this a LOT! The big guys upfront try their best, but I’ve had enough of seeing people stonewalled at the line and giving the quarterback so much time to dissect the defense.

this actually seems like it could be a huge change in the way NFL defenses operate from now on.
And having LB's that are really multi dementional. Yeah it could catch on quickly if you have the personell that can drop and cover EFFECTIVELY.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Baker actually went in too but the RB picked him up so Murphy was free. The obvious thing there is screen to the RB but he's got to block somebody and the way the Cards are doing it, if the RB did go out, you would hope Baker would see he it and try and pick him up.

Eventually we're going to send Simmons up the middle like we used to with D Wash and he's going to wreak havoc. So far he always drops into coverage, eventually he won't

God I can't wait till the send Simmons up the middle.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw another video breakdown of Arizona's 0-6-5 (can't find it at the moment, grr! Or maybe it was Collinsworth during the game?) showing that they do mix up how they play it. In fact, they specifically set Seattle up to expect the guys in the middle to drop into coverage and the guys on the edges to rush... then when Seattle's O-line shifted to try to block the outside pressure, they instead brought pressure right up the middle and hit Wilson.

The video here also shows the Cardinals using different plays out of the same package vs. the Jets & Cowboys: https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/10/20/watch-arizonas-0-6-5-sub-defense-package

EDIT: Aha, found a clip that shows the play. Cards are in the 0-6-5 (or is it an 0-5-6? Guess it depends on whether you count Simmons as an LB or a DB!) with 1:15 to go in OT, the play right before the Metcalf TD that was called back. The Seahawks O-line parts like the Red Sea, expecting the pressure off both edges with the guys in the middle falling back into coverage - but this time, ALL the Cards LBs rush straight ahead, resulting in Tanner Vallejo running untouched into Wilson, who's forced to ditch the ball incomplete over the middle.

Looks as though the direct link to the play won't play directly from ASFN, so just skip ahead to the 2:36 point in the video on YouTube:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...dave

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What is so great about this package is that you can send just 4 rushers, leaving 7 in coverage and still get consistent pressure on the QB. This team has quite a few play makers on defense so this can work really well for us going forward.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It works great right up until the 4.2 guy slips his jam at the line and the qb lobs it up

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It works great right up until the 4.2 guy slips his jam at the line and the qb lobs it up
It usually has a deep safety and the outside corners are playing off the line. It is designed to take away deep passes, but make intermediate passes dangerous to make like the Simmons pick.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We've run it on 3rd and 6 as well as 3rd and 5. Checking into a run probably beats it there, but I'm not sure. We're lucky to have so many linebackers that we trust being on the field.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
We've run it on 3rd and 6 as well as 3rd and 5. Checking into a run probably beats it there, but I'm not sure. We're lucky to have so many linebackers that we trust being on the field.

I was thinking the same thing, check into a draw play and it's first down all day.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This will be a great package to play against Tua. He won’t be ready for this being a rookie in his 2nd game. Plus this is a great package to Run against the Rams where Goff wants to roll out. He won’t have to time to take the hand off and roll out for 3 seconds.

Also, Goff is a moron and should be confused easily. Certainly easier than Russell Wilson.