Markus Golden is back

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thx, Ron. I misread one of the earlier posts which confused me (been getting a lot of that lately:confused:).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not a hyperbolic person as you know. I think I'm pretty grounded in reality.

But I really think this team could make a 2008 style late run to the SB. There's a few reasons for this.

1. Our division isn't quite as tough as predicted. The Niners have a lot of injury issues among others and the Seahawks defence is terrible. I actually think the Rams are currently the best in division and we don't play them until late.

2. We still have so much untapped talent. Murphy is just starting to look like an NFL CB. P2 has lots of room to improve. Thompson is due back as is Williams. The run game looks like it's improving. All the receivers have more to give and Kyler isn't anywhere near his potential. If we can fix some of these things we can improve massively.

3. Covid. Covid is always going to be a random factor. It's going to rear its ugly head for most teams at some point and it's going to make it more likely seedings are more innacurate than normally and it's going to throw up more random results when teams get hit.

4. If we get that far with a bit of luck we might draw the NFC East winners.

Its a long shot but I can see a path if we improve some obviously flawed areas.

1. The division is just as tough as we thought. I doubt the Niners would be 3-3 without the horrible streak of injuries they have had. They lost 4 of their top 5 corners, their starting WRs, their #3 receiver, their All Pro TE, their All Pro DE, and lastly their QB. The Seahawks are 5-0. The Rams barely beat the Cowboys, lost to a Bills team thats a bit overrated, let the putrid Eagles hang around for awhile, and lost to a Niners team that still is missing key pieces.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
1. The division is just as tough as we thought. I doubt the Niners would be 3-3 without the horrible streak of injuries they have had. They lost 4 of their top 5 corners, their starting WRs, their #3 receiver, their All Pro TE, their All Pro DE, and lastly their QB. The Seahawks are 5-0. The Rams barely beat the Cowboys, lost to a Bills team thats a bit overrated, let the putrid Eagles hang around for awhile, and lost to a Niners team that still is missing key pieces.
I feel like everyone's overestimating the Seahawks. I know they're 5-0, but they haven't faced a team that currently has a winning record, and only one of those games had a final score higher than 8 points. I know it's bad form to criticize wins based off strength of schedule, and that wins are wins, but they're not winning convincingly against some really mediocre teams. I feel like we've got a better shot to beat them this weekend than people think. The Rams got lucky enough to face the entire NFC East in the first 6 games. I'm not gonna entirely discount them for that, but their only wins were against teams in that garbage fire of a division.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How are the Rams the best?

They lost against to the only competent teams they played against. If they lose to the Bears, it’ll get real spooky.

Because having watched them they are the most balanced team in the division.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well yeah. The Niners having loads of injuries makes them worse but they have looked down anyway. They got spanked by the Fins with a team more than good enough to win.

The Seahawks are overrated. They only beat bad teams and most of them not convincingly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of odd to say this after losing to a Niner team with half the team on IR & been having “looked down” anyway, but alright.

Anyone can lose to anyone with the right game plan and a bit of luck. You're right they haven't been the best team so far, but they have the 5th ranked offense per DVOA and the 13th ranked defense per DVOA. Long way to go yet, I just think they are best positioned talent wise to win the division. But for what it's worth I don't think any of the other 3 teams in the division are quite as good as we feared pre seaon, except maybe the Rams as for some reason many had low expectations of them.

We will see, it's just my opinion.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone can lose to anyone with the right game plan and a bit of luck. You're right they haven't been the best team so far, but they have the 5th ranked offense per DVOA and the 13th ranked defense per DVOA. Long way to go yet, I just think they are best positioned talent wise to win the division. But for what it's worth I don't think any of the other 3 teams in the division are quite as good as we feared pre seaon, except maybe the Rams as for some reason many had low expectations of them.

We will see, it's just my opinion.
Gotta see more. Just think their DVOA ratings are as high as they are is because they played the whole NFC East already, while no one else in the division has played more than two.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Glad he's back. We can use the help looking at our injury report!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Great move. Should have kept him here. One of too many players that left and blossomed elsewhere.

He's only been gone a little over 1 season...and hardly blossomed in NY. Had a decent year, last year, but wasn't a fit in new defense this year and didn't play much.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I totally missed this from last week. Solid signing.

I was always a fan of his non stop motor.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Every Markus Golden Sack for the Giants in 2019

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad Golden is back.

Although I do feel like when people say "Great motor" about a pass rusher it's the equivalent of saying "nice personality" about a person.

In other words, not the most skilled rusher but works hard.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
With Chandler hurt they were never going to have an elite unit.

But Reddick, Golden, Kennard is a solid group and not a glaring weakness on the defense.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Only thing that concerns me about Golden is the false start penalties. Hopefully he has that under control.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose