New League year New thread. Around the NFL 2020-21.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Anyone else have a scary flashback when Daniel Jones looked like he was going to run for a TD? So thankful it ended with a laugh.
Daniel Jones looked like Carl Lewis, compared to Steve Bono...Bono’s run will forever be the most embarrassing ***** of the Cardinals in AZ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
It was almost identical to Steve Bono play.
Haha...not really close at all.Slow Steve ran a slow naked bootleg, after the entire Cards defense but in the handoff fake...and it took
Him about 3 minutes to run up yards.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Time over distance. The same was they determine speeding on pit road in Nascar.

That is an average speed. The article said the "fastest speed reached". What I would like to know is how they got that fastest speed determination. Radar? Lidar(?), or how? Apparently they have some way of reviewing the film to determine the speed? I don't know. I'm just curious how they get it

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha...not really close at all.Slow Steve ran a slow naked bootleg, after the entire Cards defense but in the handoff fake...and it took
Him about 3 minutes to run up yards.

And the offensive lineman running next to him urged him to go faster
Being so slow I still wondering how any Cardinals defenders couldn't get any closer

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
And the offensive lineman running next to him urged him to go faster
Being so slow I still wondering how any Cardinals defenders couldn't get any closer
They were so embarrassed, they just gave up. We were all just bewildered in the stands that day. Just another SDS nightmare.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is an average speed. The article said the "fastest speed reached". What I would like to know is how they got that fastest speed determination. Radar? Lidar(?), or how? Apparently they have some way of reviewing the film to determine the speed? I don't know. I'm just curious how they get it

speed, s = d/t which means speed equals distance divided by time.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Daniel Jones looked like Carl Lewis, compared to Steve Bono...Bono’s run will forever be the most embarrassing ***** of the Cardinals in AZ.

There’s a 20 min breakdown of that play on YouTube if you want to go down the rabbit hole.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think 4.82 seconds equals anything close to 21 mph?
It equates to 17mph... but, that's his average speed over 40 yards, starting from zero. Apparently with his longer legs it takes him longer to reach top speed than someone like Murray, who has a much faster 40, but slightly lower top speed.

But still... i never would've expected Jones to be capable of that kind of top speed!

...dbs

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I would like to know is how they got that fastest speed determination. Radar? Lidar(?), or how? Apparently they have some way of reviewing the film to determine the speed?
The NFL's Next Gen Stats are collected using RFID chips embedded in player equipment and the ball, and sensors all around the field.

As for how the "maximum speed" is calculated, as others have not so helpfully pointed out, speed = distance divided by time. So there's no such thing, really, as "instantaneous speed", but no doubt they use the distance over smallest time increment possible with their measuring equipment, probably averaged over a few readings to correct for lack of precision in any given measurement. I'd guess a player would need to sustain the "top speed" for less than a second, maybe less than half a second.

...dave

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ah, thx Dave. I knew there had to be some way they determine that speed. I was really curious as to how. So, they use a chip in the ball (I actually missed that most important tidbit when first reading your post-thinking helmet somehow smh:confused:).
Thx, again

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, thx Dave. I knew there had to be some way they determine that speed. I was really curious as to how. So, they use a chip in the ball (I actually missed that most important tidbit when first reading your post-thinking helmet somehow smh:confused:).
Apparently they have chips in the shoulder pads as well. And "Ultra-wideband receivers track the players and ball movement down to the inch."

...dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA