Suns need to be more athletic in 2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no value in specifically targeting athleticism. If we improve where we need to we will likely improve our athleticism along with those improvements. Add defense, chances are you're adding athleticism. Add shooters that can get their shot off against a strong defense and you're likely adding athleticism and so on.

I still don't buy the idea that JJ is avoiding athletic players, he's simply prioritizing BBIQ and bball skills over pure athleticism. And that's the opposite of a bad thing IMO.

I don't think you target athleticism either but when you can add players with both talent (skills) and athleticism, it's usually a good idea. IMO, the Suns had too many players last season with average athleticism. As a team they need to improve in this area.

Suns shouldn't add any more players like Kaminisky or Jerome to the team at least without adding players that can compensate. I doubt that Kaminsky will be back though.

Suns players with average athleticism as I view it were: Baynes, Saric, Kaminsky, Jerome and to a lesser degree Cam Johnson. Suns can't keep adding to these type players without bringing in more athletic players.

Also the Suns had some players like Okobo, Lecque and Diallo who didn't fit or were not ready to play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so are you saying there’s no room in the NBA for shooters who aren’t elite athletes?

please god say yes so I can list a hundred guys who have had really good NBA careers.

There certainly is room. What I am saying is that a team FULL of them is destined to fail.

Look at it this way: How successful in today's NBA would a team be with 6 or 7 of its 9 or 10 man rotation being the equivalent of James Jones as a player?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There certainly is room. What I am saying is that a team FULL of them is destined to fail.

Look at it this way: How successful in today's NBA would a team be with 6 or 7 of its 9 or 10 man rotation being the equivalent of James Jones as a player?

dude you act like this team is a finished product.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How successful in today's NBA would a team be with 6 or 7 of its 9 or 10 man rotation being the equivalent of James Jones as a player?

It would be more successful in today's NBA than a team with 7 artichokes in the rotation. Fortunately I think it's a safe bet we're not going to go in search of 7 artichokes or 7 athletically challenged stiffs to man our 9 or 10 person rotation. But I disagree with some of the names you assign to the non-athletic roster.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think in my mind, is Cam Payne was brought in to take over that spot by Ty Jerome. They started bubble play giving Ty Jerome time on the court to earn his spot. Payne in my mind took that away by his better play. Payne had a lot more positive games. Two really good ones in my mind for a back up pg. IF, big if, consistency has been Payne's nemisis. If he has turned the corner on that by being older and more mature, I am comfortable with him as BU PG. The combo of him and the bull dog coming in on second teams rallied our bench in the bubble.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in my mind, is Cam Payne was brought in to take over that spot by Ty Jerome. They started bubble play giving Ty Jerome time on the court to earn his spot. Payne in my mind took that away by his better play. Payne had a lot more positive games. Two really good ones in my mind for a back up pg. IF, big if, consistency has been Payne's nemisis. If he has turned the corner on that by being older and more mature, I am comfortable with him as BU PG. The combo of him and the bull dog coming in on second teams rallied our bench in the bubble.

I think Cam Payne is the backup point guard next season unless something changes. Ty Jerome had his chance but since he is on a guaranteed contact he likely sticks unless the Suns can include him in a trade.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Cam Payne is the backup point guard next season unless something changes. Ty Jerome had his chance but since he is on a guaranteed contact he likely sticks unless the Suns can include him in a trade.
We always need to make the minumim players needed to field a team. He's cheap for a filler.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jerome was a bad pick, sure, but it seems like everyone forgets we also got Baynes in that deal. We traded the #30 pick this year for a very good backup Center who helped carry the team while Ayton was out and a PG prospect who had a very good college career but lacks the athleticism to be more than a spot up shooter in the NBA. Sure, it sucks he didn't pan out but the cost was very low and I'd still make that trade today.

I'd make the trade, just not the pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It would be more successful in today's NBA than a team with 7 artichokes in the rotation. Fortunately I think it's a safe bet we're not going to go in search of 7 artichokes or 7 athletically challenged stiffs to man our 9 or 10 person rotation. But I disagree with some of the names you assign to the non-athletic roster.

With which names do you disagree?

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Jalen Smith would give the Suns a big that has a 3 point shot, who runs the floor, and plays above the rim.
With Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Smith Suns would have a Bright young core.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jalen Smith would give the Suns a big that has a 3 point shot, who runs the floor, and plays above the rim.
With Booker, Ayton, Bridges, and Smith Suns would have a Bright young core.

I could get behind that, but something tells me that the pick at 10 is going to be Bane, Riller or Terry (any of which would be a horrible selection there), unless Hayes, Haliburton or maybe Vassell falls to 10 (which is now what I am hoping).

James Jones doesn't seem to have any interest in picking a power forward at 10.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
James Jones doesn't seem to have any interest in picking a power forward at 10.
Jones may ultimately not end up taking a PF, but this comment is something you have completely made up in your head with zero actual evidence.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jones may ultimately not end up taking a PF, but this comment is something you have completely made up in your head with zero actual evidence.

Is there any reported interest in Achiuwa, Smith or even Toppin? If so, I haven't read it. All the reports of interest I am reading are referencing Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell, Bane, Riller, Terry, and even Anthony and Maxey.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Is there any reported interest in Achiuwa, Smith or even Toppin? If so, I haven't read it. All the reports of interest I am reading are referencing Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell, Bane, Riller, Terry, and even Anthony and Maxey.
They have already interviewed Smith and Achiuwa, just like the other players you mentioned. And at this point, interviews are the only thing we really have to go on (which really isn’t much at all).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's the draft you can't believe anything any GM says or 1Sun for that matter.
The difference is that the GM (or his owner) calls the shots

1Sun and the rest of us fans do not. We just see the results
and post our opinions about them.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
If suns get D.G. from OKC or Grant from the Nugs to fill in at the PF spot.

Kira Lewis might be fit nicely.

He and Carter both can backup Rubio and Kira at 6'3 is the same height as D wade he
can fill in some mins at the backup SG.

1 Rubio

2 Book

3 Kelly

4 Grant or D.G

5 Ayton

1 Lewis/Carter/Payne
2 Bridges/Lewis/Payne
3 Johnson/ Bridges
4 Dario/ Johnson
5 Dario/Frank

That's 11 players that can all score 10 pts on any given night.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They have already interviewed Smith and Achiuwa, just like the other players you mentioned. And at this point, interviews are the only thing we really have to go on (which really isn’t much at all).
I know this is not the Suns, but I have watched the Chargers almost all my life. I have seen where they interviewed dozens of guys, and the not draft ANY of them! No explanation of why. Maybe to rule guys out? Who knows? It would be interesting to look at last draft and see who we interviewed versus who we took. I did not keep track of that with James Jones. I don't remember him intervieiwing the two guys we took, but I really don't rememeber who we interviewed.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If suns get D.G. from OKC or Grant from the Nugs to fill in at the PF spot.

Kira Lewis might be fit nicely.

He and Carter both can backup Rubio and Kira at 6'3 is the same height as D wade he
can fill in some mins at the backup SG.

1 Rubio

2 Book

3 Kelly

4 Grant or D.G

5 Ayton

1 Lewis/Carter/Payne
2 Bridges/Lewis/Payne
3 Johnson/ Bridges
4 Dario/ Johnson
5 Dario/Frank

That's 11 players that can all score 10 pts on any given night.

I like what you are doing but I doubt the Suns can afford both Dario Saric and one of Jerami Grant or Danilo Gallinari unless they exceed the salary cap which isn't likely.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I what you are doing but I doubt the Suns can afford both Dario Saric and one of Jerami Grant or Danilo Gallinari unless they exceed the salary cap which isn't likely.
I get Gallinari for offense, but he does have a problem staying healthy and is not that great on defense for the money he commands. I think we need to err more on a defensive minded guy at PF.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get Gallinari for offense, but he does have a problem staying healthy and is not that great on defense for the money he commands. I think we need to err more on a defensive minded guy at PF.

Of the two, I like Jerami Grant the best but he is really not what I call an inside player. He is more of a 3 point shooter and a slasher who can play defense.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Of the two, I like Jerami Grant the best but he is really not what I call an inside player. He is more of a 3 point shooter and a slasher who can play defense.
I would choose him because of his defense versus Gallinari's. Gallinari needs to be on a team like the Lakers, to come in off the bench and provide that scoring punch, or to play on nights when you are resting James, etc.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would choose him because of his defense versus Gallinari's. Gallinari needs to be on a team like the Lakers, to come in off the bench and provide that scoring punch, or to play on nights when you are resting James, etc.

I don't see where Jerami Grant brings much more to the table than Oubre if one compares the stats.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see where Jerami Grant brings much more to the table than Oubre if one compares the stats.

Oubre is more athletic and is a better scorer. Grant has more bulk and can defend and rebound against power forwards better.

Neither is a perfect option at power forward, but Grant brings more balance to the roster.

The problem is that we really can't afford to get even less athletic overall.