Year over year growth

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to compare some of Kyler’s stats from his first game as a rookie vs his first game in his sophomore season. (Mind you, in his rookie debut he was facing a lesser opponent in the Detroit Lions and not a top tier defense like San Fran). Below are the numbers:

-13 rushing yards vs 91 (it was really 100 but whose keeping track)

-26.2 QBR vs 85.0 QBR

-53% completion percentage vs 65% completion percentage

-Sacked 5 times vs sacked 2 times

-Converted 41% 3rd downs vs converted 50% 3rd downs

-21 first downs vs 29 first downs

-Went 2/4 in the red zone vs 2/2 in the red zone

I was worried a bit about Kyler making the “year 2 leap” at QB considering how strange this off-season was...But man was it awesome to see him literally out the team on his back and will them to victory in the 4th quarter with his arms and legs.

My key takeaway was his rushing yards on Sunday. In his rookie campaign he rushed for 544 yards...I expect him to nearly double that this season gaining around 1,000 rushing yards...And if he does that, man is this team going to be dangerous!

We finally have a young franchise quarterback! (No offense Warner or Palmer) The thought of being set at the position for well over the next decade is something this team hasn’t had it what seems like forever.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect that type of rushing on a consistent basis.

The 49ers weren't giving up a whole lot of stuff down the field and overall keeping our receivers pretty well covered.

I suspect he will have a better rushing year than last year 700-800 yards, but he will have quite a few games where it's like 20-30 yards and is finding more success with his arm.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect that type of rushing on a consistent basis.

The 49ers weren't giving up a whole lot of stuff down the field and overall keeping our receivers pretty well covered.

I suspect he will have a better rushing year than last year 700-800 yards, but he will have quite a few games where it's like 20-30 yards and is finding more success with his arm.
I think you will see it when teams go man to man in coverage. That is when QBs who can run make huge plays. Carve up zone coverage and when faced with man, make big plays with your feet when available.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think you will see it when teams go man to man in coverage. That is when QBs who can run make huge plays. Carve up zone coverage and when faced with man, make big plays with your feet when available.
along with man coverage, the blitz rate has a high impact on his running.

His touchdown rush vs 49ers was a result of them sending the house. I believe they brought 6 or 7 with no spy. Recipe for disaster when going after Kyler

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
along with man coverage, the blitz rate has a high impact on his running.

His touchdown rush vs 49ers was a result of them sending the house. I believe they brought 6 or 7 with no spy. Recipe for disaster when going after Kyler
The big test for Murray this week was that Rivera used delay blitzes a lot. He would let the front four do work, Kyler to get antsy, and then sent a guy to get Kyler. I am interested to see if he does the same and how Kyler has adjusted since last year.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The big test for Murray this week was that Rivera used delay blitzes a lot. He would let the front four do work, Kyler to get antsy, and then sent a guy to get Kyler. I am interested to see if he does the same and how Kyler has adjusted since last year.
seems like a good strategy for going after Kyler... if I was a defensive coach you almost want to tell your guys to "approach the delayed blitz with a bit of a spy mentality"

the LAST thing you want to do is blitz Kyler with your hair on fire. it has to be methodical and controlled unless you are sending an athlete of similar speed after him... safeties and corners would be able to blitz him with more speed since they can breakdown and re-adjust but do you really want to be consistently blitzing safeties and corners?

christ on a bike, I'm so happy we have a shiny new dual threat QB