ASU Football 2020

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A big part of this is a demand for additional protections for the players from COVID-19, so that seems very timely.

Good point though on the revenue sharing. Not sure how that is supposed to fly right now during this tumultuous time we are living in. So many institutions, local governments, businesses, etc. are hurting right now. And we haven't seen the full economic impact yet.
We have to remember that these aren’t professionals. If they don’t act now they may never get their slice of the pie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It proposed conference only schedule Arizona State could add Stanford to their schedule.

From Arizona Sports:

UPDATED: July 24, 2020 at 11:24

The Arizona State Sun Devil football team could add Stanford to its schedule, while the Arizona Wildcats are lined up to add California if the Pac-12 moves forward with a proposed 10-game, conference-only slate for 2020, reports Stadium’s Brett McMurphy.

The Mercury News’ Jon Wilner reported Thursday that the Pac-12 was expected to finalize on a conference-only schedule of 10 games rather than the already-planned nine-game slate. That could be made official by the end of next week, Wilner reported.

https://arizonasports.com/story/233...-stanford-and-cal-in-10-game-pac-12-schedule/

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Will Pac-12 players 'opt out' of games for safety, racial justice?
A graphic obtained by Yahoo Sports on Saturday has been distributed among players in the league. “Our goal is to obtain a written contract with the Pac-12 that legally ensures we are offered the following protections and benefits.”

The graphic then lists the following:
*Ensure safe play during COVID-19
*Fight racial injustice
*Secure economic rights and fair compensation
*Protect all sports
*Obtain long-term health insurance
https://sports.yahoo.com/pac-12-pla...threatening-to-opt-out-224011753.html?src=rss

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State gets top 2021 commit in cornerback Isaiah Johnson

By Michelle Gardner Arizona Republic:

The Arizona State football program has landed its most noteworthy recruit of the 2021 cycle thus far with four-star cornerback Isaiah Johnson out of St. Bernard in Playa Del Ray, California, announcing his pledge on social media late Monday.

It was quite a get for the Sun Devils with the other schools in Johnson's top five being national contenders Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU and USC.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ils-get-commitment-isaiah-johnson/5531285002/

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't getting enough attention IMO. It's an earthquake that is just starting. College sports are going to change forever.

I think you are right. The demands for COVID 19 protections are more than the PAC12 can handle. Apparently, 8 UCLA players have tested positive.

Throw on the monetary issues, during a huge economic downturn, and this is going to be a real mess. It ain't going away though.
The football program incomes have been used to fund so many other sports. Take the fans out of the stands during the pandemic, I guess there is still TV revenue. I am no financial wizard, but I am not sure whether the monetary demands can be met at this time. I just hope something can be worked out because I would love to see some football at some point.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are right. The demands for COVID 19 protections are more than the PAC12 can handle. Apparently, 8 UCLA players have tested positive.

Throw on the monetary issues, during a huge economic downturn, and this is going to be a real mess. It ain't going away though.
The football program incomes have been used to fund so many other sports. Take the fans out of the stands during the pandemic, I guess there is still TV revenue. I am no financial wizard, but I am not sure whether the monetary demands can be met at this time. I just hope something can be worked out because I would love to see some football at some point.

The players have all the leverage. What are they going to lose if there is no season? It won't be their scholarships. The universities have to cave on a good amount of this stuff or there is no season at all. And, not even TV money.

And, the players have figured out how to unite en masse. That isn't going away.

My prediction? College football fist, (and others will follow), is basically going to become semi-pro. Players will be paid, it's inevitable. I also think being enrolled in a degree program will be optional for players.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't getting enough attention IMO. It's an earthquake that is just starting. College sports are going to change forever.

Underwater earthquake that will cause a tsunami. It is huge but players right now will likely not see the bulk of the benefits

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
PAC had voted to cancel football for fall. May play in spring.
Stupid!

Imo those kids are safer in that “college bubble” with their teammates than likely anywhere else. The testing, the thorough cleaning & heavy precautions make them safer. If kids want to play, give them that choice!!!

The spring season is even more dumb!!! So these schools are expecting 20+ games to be played in a calendar year? Lol. Yeah that’s safe :bang:. I Hope Nebraska thumps their nose at the Big10 & returns to the Big12 where it belongs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stupid!

Imo those kids are safer in that “college bubble” with their teammates than likely anywhere else. The testing, the thorough cleaning & heavy precautions make them safer. If kids want to play, give them that choice!!!

The spring season is even more dumb!!! So these schools are expecting 20+ games to be played in a calendar year? Lol. Yeah that’s safe :bang:. I Hope Nebraska thumps their nose at the Big10 & returns to the Big12 where it belongs.

It's the right choice whether you or I agree with it. Better to err on the side of caution... especially with potential lawsuits that could bankrupt even the most solvent athletic department.

Nebraska can be .500 or below elsewhere for all I care. Good luck putting together a schedule at this point. Frost should have kept quiet.

No matter...i am bummed since I had high hopes for ASU this year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still say the players should be given a choice. I’m tired of government trying to tell me what I can/can’t do. There are risks in almost everything. But yeah, you can protest & riot lol

Maybe this goes deeper. Maybe the conferences didn’t want to give the players a say at the table given the fact they wanted revenue, insurance, etc. hmmmm.
It's the right choice whether you or I agree with it. Better to err on the side of caution... especially with potential lawsuits that could bankrupt even the most solvent athletic department.

Nebraska can be .500 or below elsewhere for all I care. Good luck putting together a schedule at this point. Frost should have kept quiet.

No matter...i am bummed since I had high hopes for ASU this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still say the players should be given a choice. I’m tired of government trying to tell me what I can/can’t do. There are risks in almost everything. But yeah, you can protest & riot lol

Maybe this goes deeper. Maybe the conferences didn’t want to give the players a say at the table given the fact they wanted revenue, insurance, etc. hmmmm.
It’s these stances that continue to drive the need for closures. Because so many won’t take the short term pain of wearing masks, staying put, etc the virus will continue to ebb and flow causing shutdown after shutdown. Im astounded so many don’t understand this needs an all-in concerted push to get us back to almost fully open - which we all want.

OP
OP
cwamjn

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just donated my 2020 tickets. Sad day in devil land.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reports are Big 10 may be voting Sunday to reinstate their season. Will PAC follow suit?

OP
OP
cwamjn

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good to see Billy Napier get a big win.