Social Issues and the NFL P&R Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the only thread in the Cardinals forum for discussing social issues like protests. This will be P&R light as with the COVID thread.

You can discuss how social unrest is impacting the NFL but do not get personal or dogmatic.

If you are "totally out" on football or a team, then please don't post that over and over with each event.

If someone is "Totally out", don't attack them or be a smart ass that invites responses.

Basically treat everyone as your brother / sister please.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This is the only thread in the Cardinals forum for discussing social issues like protests. This will be P&R light as with the COVID thread.

You can discuss how social unrest is impacting the NFL but do not get personal or dogmatic.

If you are "totally out" on football or a team, then please don't post that over and over with each event.

If someone is "Totally out", don't attack them or be a smart ass that invites responses.

Basically treat everyone as your brother / sister please.
If we treated everyone like my sisters and me, it would actually be worse than P&R! Lol. Point received nonetheless.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not really interested in debating anything other than football. All I will say is that there is no more coddled person in America than the "Star Athlete", and most of these guys have been getting preferential treatment since high school. It's going to be very tough for anyone to care about their "stance" or any silly sports protests, unless it starts with "We are donating our game checks, or this % of our outrageous salary. They also need to be careful about boycotts or sitting out games, because if there is one thing quarantine has taught us, is that something else will come along to fill people's time and TV watching. Baseball is being played and no one cares. NBA playoffs are going on and largely no one cares. Football needs to get fans interested in the product on the field.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't think this is good, or the right place.

Exactly, and that's ten fold then on a actual football field where the very reason we care who these guys are, black or white, is their athletic ability and not their political stance

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope that's how you get a one month ban.

Deliberately trolling will get you a quick hook

Social issues and the NFL.

If it isn't NFL related it doesn't belong here

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really interested in debating anything other than football. All I will say is that there is no more coddled person in America than the "Star Athlete", and most of these guys have been getting preferential treatment since high school. It's going to be very tough for anyone to care about their "stance" or any silly sports protests, unless it starts with "We are donating our game checks, or this % of our outrageous salary.

You realize you just made the argument that Black people need to donate their salaries and in essence PAY in order to try and get equal rights.

do you not realize how repugnant if an idea that is?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You realize you just made the argument that Black people need to donate their salaries and in essence PAY in order to try and get equal rights.

do you not realize how repugnant if an idea that is?

No I didn't. I said professional athletes...people FIRMLY in the 1% of the wealthiest Americans...need to do something tangible to help solve the problem they see. "Boycotting" a game and not playing, while sitting on a few million dollars doesn't do anything to help the people actually suffering that injustice. You could argue it hurts owners, or TV networks...but what impact does not playing an NBA game have for the common man?

Garbage men, or people that work at the electric company not going to work would have 50X the impact of some rich professional athlete sitting out a game. Every single athlete who is deciding to protest could also easily donate 1% of their salary and basically fund a youth team...or a rec center...or whatever. I'm not saying some of them don't...but that means more than just talk.

AND...if they are going to talk, they should be going to city council meetings and addressing issues in their cities. The Milwaukee Bucks sitting out a game does nothing....the Bucks showing up to the local city council meeting and proposing actual change not only gets national headlines and bring attention...it actually bring action with it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I didn't. I said professional athletes...people FIRMLY in the 1% of the wealthiest Americans...need to do something tangible to help solve the problem they see. "Boycotting" a game and not playing, while sitting on a few million dollars doesn't do anything to help the people actually suffering that injustice. You could argue it hurts owners, or TV networks...but what impact does not playing an NBA game have for the common man?

Garbage men, or people that work at the electric company not going to work would have 50X the impact of some rich professional athlete sitting out a game. Every single athlete who is deciding to protest could also easily donate 1% of their salary and basically fund a youth team...or a rec center...or whatever. I'm not saying some of them don't...but that means more than just talk.

AND...if they are going to talk, they should be going to city council meetings and addressing issues in their cities. The Milwaukee Bucks sitting out a game does nothing....the Bucks showing up to the local city council meeting and proposing actual change not only gets national headlines and bring attention...it actually bring action with it.

you keep saying people need to pay to try and get equal rights and then say you’re not saying that. You’re also then telling those people HOW else they need to push for equal rights. How about instead of telling people what and how to act, YOU actually LISTEN for once?

Because if you listened to them, you would have the opinion that the boycotts are worthless because it’s clearly apparent have completely ignore things the players accomplished with the boycott. Lije getting owners to open up all as polling stations on Election Day, getting owners to put money towards educating people about social justice causes/educating people how and where to vote via advertising during games in the bubble, standing up for millions of voiceless minorities and sending a message to kids watching that we will not take this lying down, starting conversations ALL OVER THE COUNTRY like these to raise awareness.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not really interested in debating anything other than football. All I will say is that there is no more coddled person in America than the "Star Athlete", and most of these guys have been getting preferential treatment since high school. It's going to be very tough for anyone to care about their "stance" or any silly sports protests, unless it starts with "We are donating our game checks, or this % of our outrageous salary. They also need to be careful about boycotts or sitting out games, because if there is one thing quarantine has taught us, is that something else will come along to fill people's time and TV watching. Baseball is being played and no one cares. NBA playoffs are going on and largely no one cares. Football needs to get fans interested in the product on the field.

AZman5103 respectfully, I'll say that's teetering perilously close to the ol "shut up and dribble" mantra tossed out a few years ago. Because these cats are rich and make more in a year than most of us will make in 10, does that mean they should not take a "stance" as you say? If you listen to most of them, they acknowledge their position of privilege, but also want to speak on behalf of those in their communities from which they may have came who aren't as lucky to have their influence or money. These people are human beings, and the majority, black men at the end of the day. I'm about my sports no doubt, but I'm not going to get up in arms over them speaking their mind. I appreciate it to be honest. Sitting out a few games as the Bucks and NBA did the other day was about bringing attention to the issues. They're back playing now, but their point, whether you agree or not was made.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZman5103 respectfully, I'll say that's teetering perilously close to the ol "shut up and dribble" mantra tossed out a few years ago. Because these cats are rich and make more in a year than most of us will make in 10, does that mean they should not take a "stance" as you say? If you listen to most of them, they acknowledge their position of privilege, but also want to speak on behalf of those in their communities from which they may have came who aren't as lucky to have their influence or money. These people are human beings, and the majority, black men at the end of the day. I'm about my sports no doubt, but I'm not going to get up in arms over them speaking their mind. I appreciate it to be honest. Sitting out a few games as the Bucks and NBA did the other day was about bringing attention to the issues. They're back playing now, but their point, whether you agree or not was made.

not only was their point made, but they got the billionaire owners to contribute even more to the cause by way of opening up stadiums for voting as well as ponying up money for ad campaigns supporting BLM and educating people how and where to vote.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
not only was their point made, but they got the billionaire owners to contribute even more to the cause by way of opening up stadiums for voting as well as ponying up money for ad campaigns supporting BLM and educating people how and where to vote.

Ergo, it was worth it!! I'm with you Cheese! Try telling people like John Lewis that protest means nothing. Man got his head cracked in willingly to make a point. Athletes, and people in general owe people of his ilk immeasurable debt because they peacefully (even when there was no peace towards them) made their stance and rode it relentlessly, and in doing so fostered an environment for change. It didn't happen overnight, but that's the point. Significant change is a marathon, not a sprint.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ergo, it was worth it!! I'm with you Cheese! Try telling people like John Lewis that protest means nothing. Man got his head cracked in willingly to make a point. Athletes, and people in general owe people of his ilk immeasurable debt because they peacefully (even when there was no peace towards them) made their stance and rode it relentlessly, and in doing so fostered an environment for change. It didn't happen overnight, but that's the point. Significant change is a marathon, not a sprint.

1000%

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People that tell athletes to 'shut up and play' usually don't have any social injustice that they are fighting. Why is that?

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want to watch a football game. I don't want to be lectured to. If it continues I won't watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose