Sun's Front Office Draft Strategy(?) with the 2018 #1 Pick

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
what does Devin Booker have to do with anything?

this is about Trae Young and how is perceived vs the reality of his game.

My point is you wouldn't consider Rubio better at shooting 3's than Booker would you? Context matters here. Trae is a high volume 3pt shooter that, like Booker, often takes difficult looks. 36% on 9.5 attempts per game is pretty good, and is the equivalent of shooting 54% on 2's. Unlike Rubio, he can generate this shot at will. Young's true shooting percentage is .595. While not as efficient as Devon, he is well above the league average. Young is a very good shooter.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
100% disagree.

Booker is crazy efficient. Everything Young is touted as being he’s not good at. People talk about how great of a passer he is but he’s at like a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. He’s super reckless with the ball. He will make a spectacular pass one minute and the next throw it into the 5th row and have you scratching your head.

he’s touted as this Steph Curry pull up from half court type bomber but he can’t shoot 3s. Nobody on here would say Rubio is a great shooter and they shoot the same percentage as each other.

And the numbers put him as the worst defender overall in the NBA. He’s a different level of bad. He doesn’t even make an attempt to try and hide the fact he’s not trying on defense.

there is perception and there’s reality.

Yeah, you just described Booker in his 2nd season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point is you wouldn't consider Rubio better at shooting 3's than Booker would you? Context matters here. Trae is a high volume 3pt shooter that, like Booker, often takes difficult looks. 36% on 9.5 attempts per game is pretty good, and is the equivalent of shooting 54% on 2's. Unlike Rubio, he can generate this shot at will. Young's true shooting percentage is .595. While not as efficient as Devon, he is well above the league average. Young is a very good shooter.

Again.

Nobody considers Booker a pull up from 30 type player. You keep trying to shoehorn Booker into this conversation and I honestly have no idea why.

Bookers bread and butter is on the block and mid range

I’ve gone over what my post was about

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Again.

Nobody considers Booker a pull up from 30 type player. You keep trying to shoehorn Booker into this conversation and I honestly have no idea why.

Bookers bread and butter is on the block and mid range

Ok. I'll try to make my point more apparent. You said Young is not good at shooting 3's. You are wrong. Here is my previous statistical breakdown to back my argument.

Trae is a high volume 3pt shooter that, like Booker, often takes difficult looks. 36% on 9.5 attempts per game is pretty good, and is the equivalent of shooting 54% on 2's. Unlike Rubio, he can generate this shot at will. Young's true shooting percentage is .595. While not as efficient as Devon, he is well above the league average. Young is a very good shooter.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Trae Young has nearly a .60TS% this year. For a 20 year old guard I’d like to see where his efficiency ranks in previous years.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think that’s a false equivalence. If you read through the predraft discussions and debate there were clearly people that thought doncic was a legit contender for #1. The majority? No. But he wasn’t a total outlier the way giannis was. I recall the commentators being shocked at giannis’ selection. Big difference. And I was a pro Ayton guy (really wanted to find a way to nab both, but that was a pipe dream).
I agree. Giannis was considered a project. He developed super fast in the NBA. If he had been complete or even close, he would have been the first pick easy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. I'll try to make my point more apparent. You said Young is not good at shooting 3's. You are wrong. Here is my previous statistical breakdown to back my argument.

Trae is a high volume 3pt shooter that, like Booker, often takes difficult looks. 36% on 9.5 attempts per game is pretty good, and is the equivalent of shooting 54% on 2's. Unlike Rubio, he can generate this shot at will. Young's true shooting percentage is .595. While not as efficient as Devon, he is well above the league average. Young is a very good shooter.

high volume anything is not good. That’s called being a chucker. If you have to take a lot of shots to score a lot that’s not really that good.

he shot 32% last year and 36% from 3 this year I don’t care how you wanna try and slice it that’s not impressive

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
high volume anything is not good. That’s called being a chucker. If you have to take a lot of shots to score a lot that’s not really that good.

he shot 32% last year and 36% from 3 this year I don’t care how you wanna try and slice it that’s not impressive

The bolded statement is untrue. If a shot is efficient, it's volume should be maximized. Doesn't matter who is shooting it. The most highly efficient shot is a 3pt attempt where a foul is called, followed by a dunk/lay-up, followed by a 3pt attempt. This is why James harden attempts 12.5 three's per game at a 35.5% clip.

So why doesn't Rubio shoot ten 3's per game since he shoots better than Harden? Because theres a difference between a player who takes an occasional spot up 3, and one who utilizes step backs and dribble pull-ups to generate these shots. If Rubio attempted this, his percentage would no doubt drop precipitously. It takes a special player to be able to hit these at an efficient clip. These types of shots also increase the likelihood that a player is fouled while shooting them.

Does this make the player a chucker? A "chucker" is a high volume, inefficient player. You can easily determine if a player is a "chucker" by looking at their true shooting percentage. The league average is about 56%. Trey Young's true shooting % is 59.5%. This is about the elite threshold, and better than guys like Bradley Beal, Kemba Walker, Kawhi Leonard, and Luka Doncic. So, unless a teammate has a dunk/lay-up or wide open 3 point shot from a good 3 point shooter, the Atlanta Hawks are better off having Trey Young shoot the ball.

Last edited:

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I get that. I do. But it’s ancient history now and not worth getting worked up about. It sucks, sure, that Doncic is so good. But it’s now been over 2 years, and McD may not be able to let it go, but we should be able to. We should concentrate on finding everything possible to make Ayton a superstar.

Exactly.

Get over it people. Crying about it isn't going to change anything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

Get over it people. Crying about it isn't going to change anything.

Fans will always revisit this topic intermittently but mostly it's the media that thrives on stirring the pot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose