2020 Draft

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Most of those guys will be matched up with Ayton, Siakam is NOT beef, he is more in the mold of Oubre, Bagley sucks and, again, we did REALLY well with that lineup on the floor.

Well, both Siakam and Bagley had their way with us when we played them...

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
totally agree. This team is still missing one big piece if they’re really ever going to be a legit contender. They might be able to get that at 10.

they are NOT in gotta get vets now mode to put them over the top. They are still building and can’t blow lotto picks where they can do that.
What piece is that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What piece is that?

either a superstar #2 or #3. I don't think Ayton has the intestinal fortidude/drive to be Book's co-pilot and have us be year in, year out contenders. I think he's eventually going to be a great #3 piece for us. We have to look at building this team like the GS/Detroit and now possibly the Pacers when fully healthy.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
either a superstar #2 or #3. I don't think Ayton has the intestinal fortidude/drive to be Book's co-pilot and have us be year in, year out contenders. I think he's eventually going to be a great #3 piece for us. We have to look at building this team like the GS/Detroit and now possibly the Pacers when fully healthy.
#2 or #3 meaning a sg or sf or just a second level and third level superstar? If the second, at which position? I suppose we have room at 3, 4, or 5 for a superstar player. I do not think so at the pg. A facilitator works best there. But I also really like the fit of Mikal alongside Book, and Cam's play at the 4 has been nice.

I really like this team as it is presently constructed. Figuring out the next piece is not easy. I think I am good with sticking with this group for a little while in order to truly figure what the next piece should be. Of course, if an unusual opportunity presents itself you have to consider.

I think if we somehow move up in the draft, I would take Wiseman. I think he can play 4 or 5. He is huge and a prolific scorer and shot blocker.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#2 or #3 meaning a sg or sf or just a second level and third level superstar? If the second, at which position? I suppose we have room at 3, 4, or 5 for a superstar player. I do not think so at the pg. A facilitator works best there. But I also really like the fit of Mikal alongside Book, and Cam's play at the 4 has been nice.

I really like this team as it is presently constructed. Figuring out the next piece is not easy. I think I am good with sticking with this group for a little while in order to truly figure what the next piece should be. Of course, if an unusual opportunity presents itself you have to consider.

I think if we somehow move up in the draft, I would take Wiseman. I think he can play 4 or 5. He is huge and a prolific scorer and shot blocker.

I want to see a lineup with Booker, Mikal, Oubre, Cam, and Ayton. It's big but it's not. I think the spacing of that lineup could be the best possible with this roster. It has the potential to be the best scoring lineup on the team as well. It's something we should try a little, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2 or 3 star. Someone with more bite than his bark.

someone like a Rasheed Wallace. Man, he would be the perfect compliment to Ayton. Anyone in the draft that projects anything like Sheed? (I know... that’s asking a lot. Sheed was a pretty damn great Swiss Army knife).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

It really is too bad we have no shot at Anthony Davis. He (or someone like him) is exactly what we need.

A starting line-up of Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Davis and Ayton, with a bench including Payne, Bridges, Cam and Saric, with Carter and a serviceable back-up big, and we could contend for a championship.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Okongwu would be an almost perfect compliment to ayton, he's an elite defender and rebounder and plays with the attitude we all wish ayton had, his only flaw is not much of a shooter but he shoots well at the line so he could develop into a stretch 4. I think he has a higher ceiling then anyone in the draft and at worst is a high energy big off the bench

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do think going big in this draft would be good unless we can trade that pick for a potential star player.

Obi, Wiseman, Okongwu are interesting. Halliburton would be tempting as a Brogdon type of player.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I still think this is a 9 player draft but there are definitely some interesting prospects at #10 assuming none of the top 9 fall (if one of the 9 fall I would run to the podium). I was high on Kira Lewis jr before the bubble, but with the emergence of Payne as a backup pg it seems to of lessened the immediate need for a backup pg. I think Vassell is probably the #10 player in this draft but if we go with the greatest need (PF), I am most intrigued with Precious Achiuwa followed by Jalen Smith. If we decided to go full on small ball at the 4 there are also a handful of interesting prospect like Bey, Nesmith, and Williams. Or we could just completely swing for the fences (doesn’t seem like Jones though) and target a player like Pokusevski (not a fan of this though).

I really hope the nba is able to do some sort of combine camp and bring in the prospects to at least be measure and vertical tested.

Top 9 (no particular order):
Edwards
Ball
Wiseman
Avdivja
Toppin
Hayes
Haliburton
Okoro
Okongwu

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want a kind to grow up tough in a tough neighborhood, give him a name that will make him fight his way through his childhood.

a name like Precious.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a kind to grow up tough in a tough neighborhood, give him a name that will make him fight his way through his childhood.

a name like Precious.

Yeah, every time I see that name my mind goes straight to the Shel Silverstein classic (Johnny Cash version of course). But honestly, as tough as it would be to grow up as a boy named Sue, Precious would be even more of a challenge.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are going to be top four this year. I can feel it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, every time I see that name my mind goes straight to the Shel Silverstein classic (Johnny Cash version of course). But honestly, as tough as it would be to grow up as a boy named Sue, Precious would be even more of a challenge.
Especially in the last 15 year with the whole Lord of the Rings thing going on.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

someone like a Rasheed Wallace. Man, he would be the perfect compliment to Ayton. Anyone in the draft that projects anything like Sheed? (I know... that’s asking a lot. Sheed was a pretty damn great Swiss Army knife).
Would Anthony Davis do? Ha. If there was ever a time to really go after a top tier FA it’s now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The draft lottery is going to be Thursday. Everyone do something lucky.

Here is a refresher by Gina Mizell, Field Level Media:

The lottery odds were based on the pre-shutdown standings.

Seeding play only affected Memphis, which fell into the lottery after losing Saturday's play-in game against Portland, and the Trail Blazers, who are now locked into the 16th pick after ascending into the postseason.

Unlike the dynamic 2019 combination of Zion Williamson and Ja Morant, there are no clear-cut top prospects in this year's draft. This group also does not appear to have the depth of a 2018 class that included 2020 All-Stars Luka Doncic and Trae Young, along with promising talents Deandre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr., Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Michael Porter Jr. and Mikal Bridges.

Prospect evaluation has been different for front offices during this cycle, with no NCAA Tournament games to scout, no combine and no in-person workouts due to do COVID-19 precautions.

https://fieldlevelmedia.com/latest-stories/?storyId=72197

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The newest mock draft by Jonathon Givony of ESPN (formally DraftExpress) has the Suns taking Killian Hayes at #10. The most interesting part of the mock was that he had Precious Achiuwa going #8.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the pie-est in the sky hypothetical assuming we get a top 4 pick.

Assuming the Bucks get bounced early in the playoffs and Giannis is unhappy rumblings start rumbling, we make this offer:

DeAndre
Oubre
Lotto Pick (especially if it’s high)

For

Giannis

Resign Baynes to start at C, Dario as backup and tender Payne/Carter

Rubio
Booker
Cam Johnson
Giannis
Baynes

Bench:
Dario
Bridges
Carter
Payne

That team might be ready to compete NEXT year, or at least make the jump to a four seed