Has Cam Johnson displaced Oubre?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed, if this remains the version we would get. He was terrible and virtually unplayable earlier in the season.

as a starter, yes, he was terrible

I assume we will get “Dario against bench bigs” when he continues to come off the bench.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric deserves 7-8 AAV.

He’s at least 50% as valuable as Kelly at 15 AAV.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The equation has evolved especially during the restart in Orlando.

Saric looks like a solid power forward off the bench if he accepts this role and providing the Suns can keep him on a reasonable contract.

Also Cam Johnson looks like he can play the power forward position as well. Also we know Bridges and Oubre play well together at forward. So Bridges, Oubre, Cam Johnson and Jerami Grant would be a bit redundant. They are very similar players and no need for the Suns do overpay for a starter in free agency. Although I still like Grant I'm not feeling the need as I did earlier.

This doesn't mean the Suns do not need to strengthen the power forward position but rather they don't necessarily need to add a starter unless they want to trade a forward for one but this is really another discussion.

The Suns might be wise to look at 4/5 players that have length, rebound and protect the rim. A draft pick could help plus of course there is free agency.

Jordan Clarkson is looking awfully good as a free agent target.

Of course a lot of things can change with the draft and what happens with Saric.

I believe you hit on the reason Jerami Grant doesn't excite most people, he'd be a bit redundant with the forwards we have now. He's more of a PF than SF but he's not a natural PF by means. I don't think his skill set differs enough to offer the sort of money it might take to sign him. He's not a lock to start based on talent and I'd hate to see them lock him as starting PF because they overpaid him also.

I think the Suns need a combo PF/C to help add depth at PF. They need a backup Center anyways and ideally they'll have 3 C's on the roster. I'd like to see a veteran backup behind Ayton and then an undrafted, 2nd round pick, g-league type of player as the 3rd C. He can see garbage time and practice minutes in his first year, no need to rush him along. Of course if there is an injury then they might need to rely on him more but if they added a PF/C like a Derrick Favors, who would play PF for us primarily but can also slide over to Center when needed, that would give us a solid frontcourt rotation.

I think Favors would cost too much and that's fine. They'd probably want someone who wouldn't get upset if he didn't see minutes every game. A cheaper signing, someone who is only going to get about $3-4 million a year should be the target. If Kaminsky didn't suck I'd say he fits the bill of a vet who doesn't mind DNP's and can play both PF & C but he's also a poor rebounder/interior player. I hope this spot can be addressed in the draft, I think there are a few players there who fit the bill but I don't have their names in front of me ATM.

We're on the same page in regards to pursuing Jordan Clarkson. After deciding who is being cut and who is being kept amongst our own FA's, they should pursue him with an offer that would eat up the bulk of the funds they have available. He'd be a great backup combo guard who can score in bunches, create for himself and others, and play decent defense. He's also played that role for a while so I don't see it being an issue going forward. He's fairly young also and would help put us in a better position when Rubio's deal is up in 2 years. We can resign Rubio since he'll just be 32 with very few playoff miles on him but we won't need to sign him as bad as we did last summer. If they strike out with Clarkson then they should wait and see if a team is willing to part with anyone of value to clear some cap space.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I believe you hit on the reason Jerami Grant doesn't excite most people, he'd be a bit redundant with the forwards we have now. He's more of a PF than SF but he's not a natural PF by means. I don't think his skill set differs enough to offer the sort of money it might take to sign him. He's not a lock to start based on talent and I'd hate to see them lock him as starting PF because they overpaid him also.

I think the Suns need a combo PF/C to help add depth at PF. They need a backup Center anyways and ideally they'll have 3 C's on the roster. I'd like to see a veteran backup behind Ayton and then an undrafted, 2nd round pick, g-league type of player as the 3rd C. He can see garbage time and practice minutes in his first year, no need to rush him along. Of course if there is an injury then they might need to rely on him more but if they added a PF/C like a Derrick Favors, who would play PF for us primarily but can also slide over to Center when needed, that would give us a solid frontcourt rotation.

I think Favors would cost too much and that's fine. They'd probably want someone who wouldn't get upset if he didn't see minutes every game. A cheaper signing, someone who is only going to get about $3-4 million a year should be the target. If Kaminsky didn't suck I'd say he fits the bill of a vet who doesn't mind DNP's and can play both PF & C but he's also a poor rebounder/interior player. I hope this spot can be addressed in the draft, I think there are a few players there who fit the bill but I don't have their names in front of me ATM.

We're on the same page in regards to pursuing Jordan Clarkson. After deciding who is being cut and who is being kept amongst our own FA's, they should pursue him with an offer that would eat up the bulk of the funds they have available. He'd be a great backup combo guard who can score in bunches, create for himself and others, and play decent defense. He's also played that role for a while so I don't see it being an issue going forward. He's fairly young also and would help put us in a better position when Rubio's deal is up in 2 years. We can resign Rubio since he'll just be 32 with very few playoff miles on him but we won't need to sign him as bad as we did last summer. If they strike out with Clarkson then they should wait and see if a team is willing to part with anyone of value to clear some cap space.

In your scenario here, who is our starting power forward, then?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we have always agreed about Clarkson. The Suns need scoring and can use another ball distributor. Although Clarkson comes off the bench, I think we could see some Clarkson/Booker lineups when the Suns want added scoring punch. I do think Clarkson will be in demand though.

I'm still liking Jerami Grant but as the Suns roster stands now, Bridges, Oubre, Johnson and Grant would be overkill. The emergence of Johnson changed the Suns forward equation. Also I'd like to bring Saric back at the right price. There will not be enough money to go around plus pursue Clarkson.

I'm not a fan of Kaminsky's game but that doesn't mean the Suns might not want to bring him back.

The quiet that surrounds Baynes and Oubre keeps me guessing. It could be neither are coming back. Maybe those trade rumors concerning Oubre are not that far off base.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny how sentiments have changed regarding Saric. He was a goner in February.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Which is why at best he is a bench player at a reasonably low price, and then only if we get the version of Saric from the bubble.

This team still needs a legitimate NBA starting power forward.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Saric has been elite in his last 13 games (7 as a starter), dating back to the last two games in February:

26.6 mpg
15.3 ppg on 58/55/87 shooting splits
he’s making 1.6 3s per game and 3.1ft per game
7.2 rpg

He had a rough start to 2020 and lost his rotation spot, but he was also quite good to start the season in 2019. His overall numbers are good. He’s decent at defense and has a 59TS% on the year. He’s played his way to at least 7.5 AAV. I’d give him 3/30 without blinking given his RFA status.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@JCSunsfan

Also the Suns are not looking at Saric as a starting power forward. This makes a big difference. Saric gets good match-ups off the bench and seems to excel in this role. If Saric were starting, I suspect most of us would still be critical. Suns needed more athleticism in their starting lineup.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another question. Is Cam Payne playing out of his mind for a short stretch or has he developed into a better player? Is this the real Cam Payne.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question. Is Cam Payne playing out of his mind for a short stretch or has he developed into a better player? Is this the real Cam Payne.

With an open roster spot it makes me wonder why the Suns didn't sign Payne earlier with the Suns backup point guard position being so weak.

I like Payne's defense, court leadership and offense so I think it's for real. In other words he has more than one thing going for him. Minimally the Suns need someone to backup Rubio.

Also I don't see Okobo coming back and Jerome/Lecque do not look close to being ready to play... if ever.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cam Johnson certainly came back today with a solid performance after looking horrible on Tuesday. I am still not convinced, though, that his ceiling is anything other than a James-Jones-type (as a player, not as a GM) rotation guy off the bench.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With an open roster spot it makes me wonder why the Suns didn't sign Payne earlier with the Suns backup point guard position being so weak.

I like Payne's defense, court leadership and offense so I think it's for real. In other words he has more than one thing going for him. Minimally the Suns need someone to backup Rubio.

Also I don't see Okobo coming back and Jerome/Lecque do not look close to being ready to play... if ever.
I would think that defensive effort and effectiveness are repeatable. I hope.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which is why at best he is a bench player at a reasonably low price, and then only if we get the version of Saric from the bubble.

This team still needs a legitimate NBA starting power forward.

I know you will never agree - but I think Cam is one.

Where does that leave us with Oubre - well that is the real question.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Johnson certainly came back today with a solid performance after looking horrible on Tuesday. I am still not convinced, though, that his ceiling is anything other than a James-Jones-type (as a player, not as a GM) rotation guy off the bench.

This is a terrible take.

At James Jones best he was never as good as Cam has been in this bubble. And Cam is a rookie - and very clearly improving greatly.

At this point I am confident he is going to be an above average player, how much above average is really my only question.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

james Jones never contributed like Cam has the last eight games. When his outside shot wasn’t happening, he was still cutting for layups and dunks (!) and even occasionally driving and creating for others.

I think the dude’s got a Kyle Korver career written all over him... and possibly better.

All James Jones could ever do was stand in the corner and be okay at best shooting threes until one of them actually mattered and he’d never hit the broad side of a barn.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think a lot of you are forgetting what James Jones as a player did here and with the Heat. He was a solid role player who diversified his scoring game and could play some team defense and grab a few boards. He was never a key core contributor, but he was a solid 7th or 8th man.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oubre likely doesn’t have much trade value, so makes sense to keep him and let him compete with Cam/Mikal for minutes. Cam has injury history so Kelly is a good insurance policy. Good team guy as well.

Gambo saying Dario is not worth 10 AAV; dude, he is a R.F.A!!

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I wouldn’t count on Cam over Oubre at all. Cam’s certainly showed us something and mostly played very well in the bubble. He’s also shown to be fragile given a normal schedule. I don’t think we should be sleeping on Oubre. He was our most clutch player. this year outside of Book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t count on Cam over Oubre at all. Cam’s certainly showed us something and mostly played very well in the bubble. He’s also shown to be fragile given a normal schedule. I don’t think we should be sleeping on Oubre. He was our most clutch player. this year outside of Book.

If you think Cam is fragile then what is Oubre? He hasn't been the picture of health while here. We've seen his season end about 70% of the way through for the last 2 years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of you are forgetting what James Jones as a player did here and with the Heat. He was a solid role player who diversified his scoring game and could play some team defense and grab a few boards. He was never a key core contributor, but he was a solid 7th or 8th man.

I remember his game real well. He got in the game during blowouts and camped out at the 3 point line.

look at his stats, 13 yrs in the league and never averaged more than 5 points a game.

your comparison is ludicrous.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember his game real well. He got in the game during blowouts and camped out at the 3 point line.

look at his stats, 13 yrs in the league and never averaged more than 5 points a game.

your comparison is ludicrous.

James Jones averaged 9.3 points and 3.4 rebounds his first year with the Suns. Cam averaged 8.7 and 3.3 this season.