eReaders

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on eReaders?

I work near a Phx library, so I usually stop and grab a new book every few weeks. Now that I work from home I need to adapt.

I plan on checking out ebooks from the library; I think they use something called Overdrive.

1. Should I consider an iPad? I don't really need one, but if I had one I would probably use it around the house rather than my phone

2. If a regular eReader is better for reading books, which one do you recommend? I looked at the Kindles, but the prices are all over the place. I'm curious as to what options people recommend.

Thanks!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on eReaders?

I work near a Phx library, so I usually stop and grab a new book every few weeks. Now that I work from home I need to adapt.

I plan on checking out ebooks from the library; I think they use something called Overdrive.

1. Should I consider an iPad? I don't really need one, but if I had one I would probably use it around the house rather than my phone

2. If a regular eReader is better for reading books, which one do you recommend? I looked at the Kindles, but the prices are all over the place. I'm curious as to what options people recommend.

Thanks!
I suggest an iPad but if you are not going to use it for anything else, then it’s too expensive if an option.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I suggest an iPad but if you are not going to use it for anything else, then it’s too expensive if an option.
Does it bother your eyes? I typically don't read for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. I've also read that tablets get heavy after a while.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does it bother your eyes? I typically don't read for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. I've also read that tablets get heavy after a while.
Doesn't bother mine -- most reader apps have various themes -- like iBooks on the iPad has 4 or 5 different orientations like black text on white, white text on black, etc.

The iPad Air tablet is pretty light.

But again, because of the price, I wouldn't get it if all you're going to do is read books on it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kindles are good and have different orientations like Chaplin said. Consider that if you want a book reading option only.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The Kindles are good and have different orientations like Chaplin said. Consider that if you want a book reading option only.
Thanks. Any idea on how much I should spend if I buy a Kindle? I see prices from $75 to $250. I don't need a superpowered one, but I also don't want to be cheap. I just want something that works well and is easy to use, primarily for library rentals.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Nook. I have used tablets, in the past. Current model is just a reader, and is light. Love the magnification feature for my worn-out eyes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to spend more than $100 on a good eReader

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I use a galaxy tab a for a reader. You can get it at Costco for I think $130.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I have a Nook. I have used tablets, in the past. Current model is just a reader, and is light. Love the magnification feature for my worn-out eyes.
Do you download books from a library? From what I’ve read it seems easier with the kindle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know. I don’t want to pay for stuff I don’t need.

Btw, I have used Overdrive in the past. It wasn't great. Just be prepared for that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thanks. Any idea on how much I should spend if I buy a Kindle? I see prices from $75 to $250. I don't need a superpowered one, but I also don't want to be cheap. I just want something that works well and is easy to use, primarily for library rentals.
$100 kindles are pretty solid. Only tablet from them that is overpriced is the kids one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't compare the Kindle to the Nook, no experience with that one but I've tried to read on several different tablets and the Kindle is far superior in that regard.

But if you're just reading limited minutes at a time, that negates most of the Kindle's advantage. I find my ipad as easy to use, software wise, as the kindle is and it's fine for reading for short periods. Still, if it were me, I'd buy the Kindle Paperwhite (waterproof version) for roughly 105 dollars. Unless you also read a lot of comics, then I'd go for the Kindle Oasis for a billion dollars or thereabouts.

OP
OP
Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I can't compare the Kindle to the Nook, no experience with that one but I've tried to read on several different tablets and the Kindle is far superior in that regard.

But if you're just reading limited minutes at a time, that negates most of the Kindle's advantage. I find my ipad as easy to use, software wise, as the kindle is and it's fine for reading for short periods. Still, if it were me, I'd buy the Kindle Paperwhite (waterproof version) for roughly 105 dollars. Unless you also read a lot of comics, then I'd go for the Kindle Oasis for a billion dollars or thereabouts.

Haha. Thanks. No comics, just books; mostly non-fiction in small chunks when I have time.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I downloaded Kindle for PC on my tablet - has been a lifesaver since I'm in a remote area this summer with no cell svc nor wifi. Have already read 3 of the Outlander series books (1,000 pages each) and couple of others.