Game #10 Los Angeles Dodgers @ Arizona Diamondbacks. 08/02/20

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And it's 2-0 Dodgers in the bottom of the 1st.

Oh well!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mookie Betts is really really really good.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh this team sucks going to be a long season 3 and 7 ouch

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Down 3-0, might as well be 15 cuz that’s what it feels like

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Losing a series to the Dodgers is expected.

It's the rest of the schedule that's a bummer.

I've been watching the whole game, while doing other
things at my computer and desk.

But it's still boring!

At least Steve and BB are the best in the business
at keep us informed and entertained.

If it were still Daron Sutton and Mark Grace, and
their Abbott & Costello "I'm a baaaad boy" routine,
I couldn't take it!

I heard that the D-backs had a players-only meeting.
'Wonder what that covered.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Final score 3-0. BB is saying that the D-backs are not playing any aspect of the game well.

That reflects on one person. :(

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Final score 3-0. BB is saying that the D-backs are not playing any aspect of the game well.

That reflects on one person. :(

It reflects on every damn person in the organization. Perhaps the buck stops with Torey because that is just the way it is but this isn't all on him. I hold them all responsible for this lackluster start to a sprint.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It reflects on every damn person in the organization. Perhaps the buck stops with Torey because that is just the way it is but this isn't all on him. I hold them all responsible for this lackluster start to a sprint.

You're right! But I remember a definition from Driver's Ed. The person responsible
for an accident is the one who had the last clear chance to avoid it.

That's Torey -- already playing Ketel at three positions this season. And
sticking with his inferior favorites like Jake Lamb, and at a position he
was shifted to because he was so bad at 3B.

And not influencing his hitters to build rallies rather than go for glory HR's.

And showing no skills in handling his pitching staff. And his monotone
interviews with the same drivel over and over.

He is not just the most visible. He is the least talented at his job. Worse
than Kendrick. Worse than Hazen.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Correct me if am wrong but didn't Ketel play multiple positions last year and that seemed to work fine?

The problem with your driver's Ed analogy is the relationship with Hazen means both sets of hands are on the steering wheel. If Hazen tells Torey to play Lamb, Torey will files orders like a good boy even if he disagrees. Same reason why daddy Cron will keep his mouth shut.

Who says Torey isn't preaching rallies vs home runs? These hitters, for the most part, are not putting together very good at bats to my eyes.

I am not defending Torey and have said his time is up but these players are crapping the bed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Correct me if am wrong but didn't Ketel play multiple positions last year and that seemed to work fine?

The problem with your driver's Ed analogy is the relationship with Hazen means both sets of hands are on the steering wheel. If Hazen tells Torey to play Lamb, Torey will files orders like a good boy even if he disagrees. Same reason why daddy Cron will keep his mouth shut.

Who says Torey isn't preaching rallies vs home runs? These hitters, for the most part, are not putting together very good at bats to my eyes.

I am not defending Torey and have said his time is up but these players are crapping the bed.

Ketel was quoted as saying that constantly shifting between CF and 2B last season had a bad effect on his health
as the season progressed.

As far as "lift", I know that it is a Major League phenomenon. I just keep hoping that the team for whom I root will
see that it is not working and use common sense. Whether it is the Managing Partner (investor), General Manager
or Field Manager. How do we know that it is not working? Out team has scored the second least amount of runs.

The one game we beat the Dodgers, the D-backs put singles and doubles together. That lasted for one game. When
a whole team is that stubborn, it is up to Management to take charge. Or not! We see the results of the "not".

As a D-backs fan (and a National League fan for a long, long time), I can't condone the results. Frankly, I can't see
how other fans can either. As the saying goes, "You don't have to alibi success."

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ketel was quoted as saying that constantly shifting between CF and 2B last season had a bad effect on his health
as the season progressed.

As far as "lift", I know that it is a Major League phenomenon. I just keep hoping that the team for whom I root will
see that it is not working and use common sense. Whether it is the Managing Partner (investor), General Manager
or Field Manager. How do we know that it is not working? Out team has scored the second least amount of runs.

The one game we beat the Dodgers, the D-backs put singles and doubles together. That lasted for one game. When
a whole team is that stubborn, it is up to Management to take charge. Or not! We see the results of the "not".

As a D-backs fan (and a National League fan for a long, long time), I can't condone the results. Frankly, I can't see
how other fans can either. As the saying goes, "You don't have to alibi success."

I despise what the game has become because it is antithetical to how I was taught to play. I watch games and see opportunities begging to be taken and all I see are players doing selfish things.

I never heard or read any contents from Ketel so I am taking your word on that. I would ask, though, how much of that is on Torey and how much is on Hazen's roster construction? Torey had responsibility to getting time for all the players to keep them fresh. Roster construction is the entire reason for the 1B situation we are currently watching.

I had them at just over .500 on the record prediction reset thread (too lazy to look what I predicted when the whole season was expected to be played). I felt like they actually overachieved a bit last year and I saw little difference from last year to this year.

I feel like I must continually remind people of my stance that I think Torey is not the right guy and should be gone because it feels like I am defending him but I refuse to hold one guy responsible for what is a collective failure by pretty much everyone.