Suns @ Wizards Friday game thread 7-31-20 (season restart)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t Sarver of all people say he expected him to play? Seems like Kelly is focusing on being healthy going into a contract year. I don’t blame him.

It's the not knowing which leads to a lot of speculation. Tom Leander is supposed to interview him (I believe the next game) so we will find out soon enough.

If Oubre had chosen not to travel with the team to Orlando I wouldn't have blamed him one bit.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That’s pretty funny considering your history!
Same old story. I talk about basketball . . . and you talk about me.

I post in terms of what is our team doing and why, and you use debate tactics to try to win a conversation.

The Phoenix Suns have not been in the playoffs for over a decade, despite (and maybe because of)
all of the turnover in GM's/Coaches/players.

Supporting the Suns' status quo has resulted in steady disappointment.

I've been a Suns fan almost since their inception. I can't condone the status quo which is, among
other things, lack of power in the post. Ayton, so far, has not changed that mentality. And his now
becoming a 3-point shooter is talking him even farther from the basket.

Will he ever get to the free throw line?

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Same old story. I talk about basketball . . . and you talk about me.

I post in terms of what is our team doing and why, and you use debate tactics to try to win a conversation.

The Phoenix Suns have not been in the playoffs for over a decade, despite (and maybe because of)
all of the turnover in GM's/Coaches/players.

Supporting the Suns' status quo has resulted in steady disappointment.

I've been a Suns fan almost since their inception. I can't condone the status quo which is, among
other things, lack of power in the post. Ayton, so far, has not changed that mentality. And his now
becoming a 3-point shooter is talking him even farther from the basket.

Will he ever get to the free throw line?
You spent years and years, literally, pushing and pushing for traditional position basketball, contrary to what everyone else on this board said AND contrary to what you can see with your own eyes in today’s NBA. We finally get a center, who is only 22 mind you, and you continue the same pattern of whining all about the organization. At some point it DOES say more about you than you think.

Nobody is saying you are a bad guy, not at all. Just that you don’t seem to accept a) the changing basketball landscape and b) how player development, especially for big men, actually works.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Chap, I hope you're right about the Suns who, despite the League seemingly
playing right into their hands, have still been among the losers.

Let's see them get their foot in the door by making the playoffs. Then, take
the next step by rising in the playoffs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My three favorite teams -- the D-backs, the Mercury and the Suns -- all won today.

Who would have thought? :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is fantastic. I am so glad to have him. No player plays at a high level all the time he is on the floor and bigs are dependent on others to get them touches. I have no complaints about Ayton, he is not a finished product but he might now be the best center the Suns have ever had. He is also defending and blocking shots which is what we thought would be his weakness.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is fantastic. I am so glad to have him. No player plays at a high level all the time he is on the floor and bigs are dependent on others to get them touches. I have no complaints about Ayton, he is not a finished product but he might now be the best center the Suns have ever had. He is also defending and blocking shots which is what we thought would be his weakness.
I agree he is a double double machine he just needs to play with more attitude but i really like how is making sone 3s now who woulda thought baynes must have taught him lol.

I like luka alot as a pg would have been a tough decision for me if i was suns gm

Really think ayton future is bright and that he and booker want to bring a winner to suns

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago when everyone was pleading for the sun's to get a center and now we get a good one with sky high potential and his play is nitpicked to death.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago when everyone was pleading for the sun's to get a center and now we get a good one with sky high potential and his play is nitpicked to death.
That is a generalization. The history is that Ayton has shied away from contact
and does not get to the free throw line.

And now that he has discovered the 3-point shot, he is playing even farther
from the basket. He is not a Wing. He is supposed to be a power player.

By all observations, Ayton should indeed be "a good one" at Center. Putting
up 20-10's is not what it's about. It is about contributing to team success.

The remainder of this short season, and whether the Suns can make the
post-season, are what it is all about.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
That is a generalization. The history is that Ayton has shied away from contact
and does not get to the free throw line.

And now that he has discovered the 3-point shot, he is playing even farther
from the basket. He is not a Wing. He is supposed to be a power player.

By all observations, Ayton should indeed be "a good one" at Center. Putting
up 20-10's is not what it's about. It is about contributing to team success.

The remainder of this short season, and whether the Suns can make the
post-season, are what it is all about.
It's fine talk about his weaknesses but are you saying he's not a "good one" yet? He's not great but he's clearly good. When's the last time outside maybe (past him prime Shaq) have we had one equal to his current level. He's the second best player on this team and still improving, centers shoot three in today's NBA if he does nothing but look for the three we have a problem but there's nothing wrong with him shooting 2 or 3 a game . He's clearing contributing to the team , the problem is his team isn't, or more specifically their bench.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's fine talk about his weaknesses but are you saying he's not a "good one" yet? He's not great but he's clearly good. When's the last time outside maybe (past him prime Shaq) have we had one equal to his current level. He's the second best player on this team and still improving, centers shoot three in today's NBA if he does nothing but look for the three we have a problem but there's nothing wrong with him shooting 2 or 3 a game . He's clearing contributing to the team , the problem is his team isn't, or more specifically their bench.
Your response didn't really address my comment, which was . . .

Putting up 20-10's is not what it's about. It is about contributing to the team's success.

Thus far, DA's numbers as our #1 pick have not lifted the Suns in the standings.

If that changes, that would be great! I'll say it again. If that changes, that would be great!

It is the same scenario as Brittney Griner and the Mercury. Despite her unique 6'9" height
in the WNBA, she started both halves in today's game with quick fouls and wound up with
five and a technical for whining about it. And allowed an understaffed opponent to catch up.
It has been an ongoing problem.

Both she and Deandre are finesse Centers and not a strong presence in the post. And, as time
has shown, even in today's pro basketball, that does not help take their teams to the next level.

Losing teams look for stats. Winners, obviously, count victories. BTW, I expect the Mercury, who have
three Championships to the Suns zero (and the D-backs one), to have a winning season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets beat the Suns last opponent, the Wizards 118-110 today.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your response didn't really address my comment, which was . . .

Putting up 20-10's is not what it's about. It is about contributing to the team's success.

Thus far, DA's numbers as our #1 pick have not lifted the Suns in the standings.

If that changes, that would be great! I'll say it again. If that changes, that would be great!

It is the same scenario as Brittney Griner and the Mercury. Despite her unique 6'9" height
in the WNBA, she started both halves in today's game with quick fouls and wound up with
five and a technical for whining about it. And allowed an understaffed opponent to catch up.
It has been an ongoing problem.

Both she and Deandre are finesse Centers and not a strong presence in the post. And, as time
has shown, even in today's pro basketball, that does not help take their teams to the next level.

Losing teams look for stats. Winners, obviously, count victories. BTW, I expect the Mercury, who have
three Championships to the Suns zero (and the D-backs one), to have a winning season.

part of the above isn’t true. In his second year, the team has gone up in the standings and will probably end up winning at least 10 more games than the previous season and that will happen only in a 70 game season.

has it shot us way up in the standings? No. But this team HAS improved this year and it’s record with a healthy Ayton is a big jump from last year.

yes, he really spiked the season with his suspension, and I’m never one to shy away from pointing out his lack of fight or ability to seem invisible for large stretches of time. But he’s a better player than he was last year and the team is better than they were last year and to ignore that really undercuts your argument.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some encouraging news on Oubre.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads