Game #9 Los Angeles Dodgers @ Arizona Diamondbacks. 8/1/20

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Fine, but "what it is" is unacceptable to me.
So what? It is your opinion, I respect that. Please don't change my opinion to agree with yours. If you disagree, say so. Don't try to change my opinion by changing my post.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree we are playing poorly but we are not the worst team. Just average.

Statistically across the board (including run differential, where we are in the minus almost double what the second worst team in that category is), and record minus the two games that were just handed to us, we actually are, and it's not particularly close.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Joke, right? Hazen has been great and we have one of the best farm systems in MLB.
But Hazen is also responsible for overseeing the Manager and how he utilizes the players the GM has provided.

Kevin Cron was the Minor League's top run producer and Lovullo set him up to fail at the Major League level.

By sitting by and watching it happen, Hazen became part of the problem.

"One of the best farm systems in MLB" is not helping the MLB team win games until they are given a chance
to produce. And now he is probably going to do the same thing with Varsho.

I don't see how Chris Cron, the Manager of our AAA Reno Aces, could sit by and watch Lovullo sabotage his
son Kevin.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We are an average team at this point. Anyone who thinks we can compete with the Doyers is an idiot.
The Dodgers are regarded as the team to beat in the National League. The D-backs are playing like
the worst team in baseball. How can you compare them? No one expects us to outplay the Dodgers.

But Lovullo shows no progress. Which is a major factor on which the Manager should be judged.

The past few days we've had hope, but it has been squashed again. Same old Lovullo chaos.

Lovullo is 2-6. His Bench Coach is 1-0. A W-L percentage of .250 or even .333 is not "average".

How can any Diamondbacks fan condone repeated failure? Most important is the eye test. Torey
Lovullo is not a leader. Roles are haphazard. Every day is a new beginning. Look at the results.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Hazen is also responsible for overseeing the Manager and how he utilizes the players the GM has provided.

Kevin Cron was the Minor League's top run producer and Lovullo set him up to fail at the Major League level.

By sitting by and watching it happen, Hazen became part of the problem.

"One of the best farm systems in MLB" is not helping the MLB team win games until they are given a chance
to produce. And now he is probably going to do the same thing with Varsho.

I don't see how Chris Cron, the Manager of our AAA Reno Aces, could sit by and watch Lovullo sabotage his
son Kevin.

Or maybe Hazen has set Cron up to fail. Perhaps the daily discussions between GM and manager has led to the usage of Cron.

Torey is not completely left to his own devices in the daily lineup or usage short and long term. It seemed like they are giving Lamb a chance with the idea (hope?) that he suddenly gets hot and becomes tradeable leaving Cron on the outside looking in. It happens...nothing his daddy can or will do about it

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Darnell Coles. They just hired him from the Brewers, but the same bad habits from the last two years remain.

Meanwhile, the pitching, also with a new coach, has the second worst E.R.A. in MLB.

The one constant is Torey Lovullo.

And Hazen...

And Hall...

And Kendrick...

I get what you are saying though. Blame for this cuts through the entire organization.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And Hazen...

And Hall...

And Kendrick...

I get what you are saying though. Blame for this cuts through the entire organization.

I don't know what more Hazen, Hall and Kendrick can do. They put together a very talented roster given their budgetary constraints while at the same time building up the farm system to one of the best in baseball.

I still think the major problem is that Torey Lovullo, while a fine bench coach, is in way over his head as a manager, given his conciliatory, nice guy mindset, lack of strategic skills and below average intelligence and organization of thought.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know what more Hazen, Hall and Kendrick can do. They put together a very talented roster given their budgetary constraints while at the same time building up the farm system to one of the best in baseball.

I still think the major problem is that Torey Lovullo, while a fine bench coach, is in way over his head as a manager, given his conciliatory, nice guy mindset, lack of strategic skills and below average intelligence and organization of thought.

I am not a professional psychologist, but I exercised over thirty years of applied psychology as management within industry, responsible for 5-110 employees. Plus undergrad and post-grad courses in Psychology. And reporting to a gentleman with a Ph.D. in Industrial Psychology for a year before he passed away from a heart attack, and I dedicated my career (and beyond) to fulfilling his legacy.

Which is why I have judged sports managers and coaches in the same light as managers within industry. Your evaluation of Torey as a Manager is spot on. I feel for what he must be going through every day trying to be something that he is not and seeing the results. The Peter Principle certainly applies to Torey.

It is a lot easier to rectify that in professional sports than in private industry. But the problem is that it also involved ego. The person who chose him not wanting to admit that it hasn't worked out. Even, though it is there for the public to see. There is nothing to be gained (and everything to lose) by hoping that Torey will see the light. Leadership is not that simple. if he could do better, we wouldn't be talking about it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I do not disagree with what you are saying about Torey I just see it beyond one man being the sole problem and if a change is made I just don't think there will be a huge difference...and I want a change made hoping to see the difference that I am skeptical will happen.

I am not advocating Hazen should be sent to the curb and I applaud what he has done but he also created a roster that forces Torey to make questionable/difficult decisions and by your own admission Torey is not capable of that. I don't know the exact answer but I do know the 1B situation, as an example, is a Hazen creation which causes Torey to do stupid things.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do not disagree with what you are saying about Torey I just see it beyond one man being the sole problem and if a change is made I just don't think there will be a huge difference...and I want a change made hoping to see the difference that I am skeptical will happen.

I am not advocating Hazen should be sent to the curb and I applaud what he has done but he also created a roster that forces Torey to make questionable/difficult decisions and by your own admission Torey is not capable of that. I don't know the exact answer but I do know the 1B situation, as an example, is a Hazen creation which causes Torey to do stupid things.

What makes you say that about first base? Walker should be the clear starter there, with Cron backing him up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose