McDowell Sonoran Conservancy

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Scottsdale for almost 11 years now, and up until the 4th, I had never been to the McDowell Preserve the City owns.

https://www.mcdowellsonoran.org/

On the 4th I did the Tom's Thumb Trail and also did the spur to the Lookout, about 6 miles total.

Today with the heat I did a loop through Lost Dog Wash and Ringtail Trail - about 4 miles.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Scottsdale for almost 11 years now, and up until the 4th, I had never been to the McDowell Preserve the City owns.

https://www.mcdowellsonoran.org/

On the 4th I did the Tom's Thumb Trail and also did the spur to the Lookout, about 6 miles total.

Today with the heat I did a loop through Lost Dog Wash and Ringtail Trail - about 4 miles.

Its the Toms thumb trail the mountain peak you can see from saguaro that looks like a thumb? Surprised there is a road to get up there if it is.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the Toms thumb trail the mountain peak you can see from saguaro that looks like a thumb? Surprised there is a road to get up there if it is.

Not sure if you can see it from Saguaro, but I think it is a different mountain you are thinking about. This was a 2.2 mile hike to the base of the thumb, 1,400 feet of gain.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday I hiked to Sunrise Peak - you can see Fountain Hills Lake from the peak.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Saturday I hiked to Sunrise Peak - you can see Fountain Hills Lake from the peak.

On the 2nd I hiked to Sunrise Peak again - but this time from Lost Dog Trailhead, with a side trip along the Andrews-Kinney Trail