smoking pork shoulders

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I am throwing three 9lb pork shoulders on the smoker. I am ready 60-90 minutes per lb at 225. I need it ready at 1pm or before on saturday and it needs to sit for an hour after cooking. that means anywhere between 7pm and 11pm tonight it needs to go on so I will probably go with 7pm to allow for more time and if it is done early, no big deal, I can reheat shredded pork in the oven or something.

I have had my smoker for a short time now and have only smoked wings, bacon, ribs and tri tip on it. These are the biggest cuts of meat by far so hoping for the best.

I only have mesquite pellets right now. Frys would only let me buy 2 shoulders so I am going back today to buy the third and hoping they have traeger pellets there as I would like to try a hickory and cherry wood blend. I still need a rub too and dont really have the time to make my own on this batch.

shoulders are 99 cents a pound right now and pulled por will freeze very well to make bbq sandwiches, carnitas or others stuff in the future :)

Reaction score
So, I am throwing three 9lb pork shoulders on the smoker. I am ready 60-90 minutes per lb at 225. I need it ready at 1pm or before on saturday and it needs to sit for an hour after cooking. that means anywhere between 7pm and 11pm tonight it needs to go on so I will probably go with 7pm to allow for more time and if it is done early, no big deal, I can reheat shredded pork in the oven or something.

I have had my smoker for a short time now and have only smoked wings, bacon, ribs and tri tip on it. These are the biggest cuts of meat by far so hoping for the best.

I only have mesquite pellets right now. Frys would only let me buy 2 shoulders so I am going back today to buy the third and hoping they have traeger pellets there as I would like to try a hickory and cherry wood blend. I still need a rub too and dont really have the time to make my own on this batch.

shoulders are 99 cents a pound right now and pulled por will freeze very well to make bbq sandwiches, carnitas or others stuff in the future :)

This is some of my favorite sites for recipes & grilling/smoking tips. The white bbq sauce is awesome. I've also made ''the chicken'' which is amazing. I always use the slaughterhouse brine recipe when I spatchcock chicken. Lots of info in these sites.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

https://www.delish.com/cooking/reci...s-chicken-white-barbecue-sauce-recipe-fw0611/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ams/tips-slaughterhouse-recipes-for-poultry.8585/

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are pork shoulders 99c a pound?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Krogers here have been sold out of most pork and beef still. I am going to check right now. My smoker should be here tomorrow!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were $2.5 a pound for me, but I bought one anyway. It has been the first time in a couple weeks at least that I have even seen one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I smoked a pork shoulder Saturday and into Sunday. First time using the pellet grill overnight and I didn't have enough pellets in so it lost temp at 5AM for 3 hours. I woke up and the meat was 100 degrees. By the time I figured out how to get the grill going again it was about 92 degrees and we needed to eat in about 4 hours.

I wrapped it in foil and cooked it at 375 for most of the time. I got to temp right about the time I needed it to go

Everyone said that it was still delicious and juicy. Neighbor said it was better than the restaurants here in town and Linda said it was the best I have ever made...I know I can do better. ;)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I smoked a pork shoulder Saturday and into Sunday. First time using the pellet grill overnight and I didn't have enough pellets in so it lost temp at 5AM for 3 hours. I woke up and the meat was 100 degrees. By the time I figured out how to get the grill going again it was about 92 degrees and we needed to eat in about 4 hours.

I wrapped it in foil and cooked it at 375 for most of the time. I got to temp right about the time I needed it to go

Everyone said that it was still delicious and juicy. Neighbor said it was better than the restaurants here in town and Linda said it was the best I have ever made...I know I can do better. ;)
Nice!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did yours turn out, @BigRedRage ?
I found another thread I have about smokers and forgot about and probably put it all there. The pork was fantastic, especially right when I was shredding it fresh out of the cooler after letting it rest in foil for an hour. The rub was just okay but I got a big thing of it so I'll keep using it for now.

One roast didn't get eaten and I split it into 3 bags and froze it. Last night I took a bag, probably 3 lbs and added a jar of 505 green chili to it along with some water and simmered it down. It's sooooooo bomb and the pork texture is so much better than the slow cooker pork I've done previously.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose