****Rumor July 1st is the target date*****

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
My point of view is that the players being asked to risk their health (or lives) because we all wish things
were back to normal after a couple of months . . .

. . . is no different than I, as a senior citizen who they say is more at risk, considering the same when it
comes to trying to resume a normal life.

My decision -- two months is an unbelievably short time in the life of a killer virus where one person could
spread it to fifteen within a matter of minutes. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands of people. Day
after day.

I, for one, am going to continue to play it safe. Life going forward will not be as we've known it.

It is not about winning elections and politicizing a health issue. It is about the economy versus deaths.
And not being an expert in either, I don't know what the answer is. I just wish we didn't live in a time
of political gridlock, so our leaders could work together and exercise decisions that would best serve
the public.

But it seems it's too late for that! The credibility of the United States as a world leader is taking a hit.

At the podiums and on TV and online. For the world to see. It is what our country has become.

And sports and restaurants and all of the other things that we've taken for granted are just symbols
of the greater problem.

And then, the potential killer. Russia and Communist China and north Korea keeping a close eye on our
weaknesses. And even meddling in our elections.

I want to see Mad Bum leading our staff. And the two Marte's in the lineup. But it all seems so small
compared to a virus that kills across the world. And is nowhere near being solved.

It is as if the age of technology has heightened the philosophy of "Eat, drink and be merry for
tomorrow we die." It is out of control! I feel for my family and all of you younger people who will
have to deal with it for your next fifty years.
It may not be solved in our lifetime. And too much fiscal irresponsibility has threatened our way of life which wasn't sustainable with the leadership or lack of we've come to know.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the league will make a proposal to the players' union Tuesday that will be a compromise from the 50-50 revenue sharing split that had been floated earlier this month. This could serve as a starting point in negotiations from MLB's side.

Meanwhile, the union is expected to propose a plan that allows players to receive their prorated salaries based on the number of games played, which was part of an agreement between the two sides finalized March 26. But a certain amount of money would be deferred to future years to help reduce the owners' expenses for the 2020 season.
https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-players-prepared-move-negotiations-222334477.html

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is the drop dead date to effectively start the season on July 1? June 9 or 10?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

·

Hearing a LOT of rumors about a certain player agent meddling in MLBPA affairs. If true — and at this point, these are only rumors — I have one thing to say... Scott Boras, rep your clients however you want to, but keep your damn personal agenda out of union business.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

·

Hearing a LOT of rumors about a certain player agent meddling in MLBPA affairs. If true — and at this point, these are only rumors — I have one thing to say... Scott Boras, rep your clients however you want to, but keep your damn personal agenda out of union business.

100%

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trevor Bauer
@BauerOutage

·

Say what you want about Trevor and his quirks, the guy is smart and understands how the world works.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Say what you want about Trevor and his quirks, the guy is smart and understands how the world works.

I agree. In fact his intelligence is severely underrated. If not for Miguel Montero and old school baseball thought, Trevor may very well have given the Dbacks some really good years.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whenever a season starts back up, does anyone have a problem if we celebrate putting Dale Murphy in the hall with it?

George Foster should be in as well.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

·
2h

Major League Baseball made official what was expected since Sunday in formally rejecting the MLB Players Association’s 114-game proposal, sources tell ESPN. MLB is not countering, which brings the possibility of it implementing a 50-game season into play. First:
@Ken_Rosenthal

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

·
2h

Major League Baseball made official what was expected since Sunday in formally rejecting the MLB Players Association’s 114-game proposal, sources tell ESPN. MLB is not countering, which brings the possibility of it implementing a 50-game season into play. First:
@Ken_Rosenthal

Is a 50 game season worth it? I mean injury considerations by players and limited sample size could hamper free agent contracts if the player craps the bed.

Covid issues even without fans

Seems like 50 will not be accepted by the union.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Greedy owners won’t enter into good faith negotiations with players. Glad to see MLBPA hold the line.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both sides are making a HUGE mistake. I personally side with the players (except Chafin who can suck on it), but they are not without fault.

This should have been handled weeks ago...quietly...behind the scenes. Now they look like total jackasses

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Baseball players are too babyfied and whiny. Cancel the season for all I care. Don’t care for these overpaid whiners.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Baseball players are too babyfied and whiny. Cancel the season for all I care. Don’t care for these overpaid whiners.

yes, the side of the negotiation that is

1. asking for merely their contractual pay, and
2. is actually assuming risk of contracting the potentially career altering virus

is the greedy side of this equation.

The players SHOULD be asking for more than pro rata pay given they’re completely shouldering the risk of getting COVID. That they’re not and owners still aren’t happy betrays their greed.

like, if you signed a contract for 100k and your boss said “I’m paying you 80k because well otherwise I’m not able to go on my yearly Hawaii trip” would you be siding with your boss?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
yes, the side of the negotiation that is

1. asking for merely their contractual pay, and
2. is actually assuming risk of contracting the potentially career altering virus

is the greedy side of this equation.

The players SHOULD be asking for more than pro rata pay given they’re completely shouldering the risk of getting COVID. That they’re not and owners still aren’t happy betrays their greed.

like, if you signed a contract for 100k and your boss said “I’m paying you 80k because well otherwise I’m not able to go on my yearly Hawaii trip” would you be siding with your boss?

30 million unemployed people would gladly take the 80k. The players whining comes off as extremely tone deaf. Of any of the major sports, baseball players are least likely to interact with each other on the field. They are least likely to have COVID interactions, but whine the most compared to other major sports. They and their players union whining is extremely tired. I hope they cancel the season- they aren’t essential to anyone’s well being.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
July 1 is approaching rapidly and still no agreement on how many games to be played and how much to pay the players....and then there's all the other details to be worked out. It doesn't look promising...what's that cliche, "For the love of the game."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose