RIP: Wes Unseld (1946-2020)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes Unseld, NBA Rookie of Year and MVP in 1969, dies at 74

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/a...nba-rookie-of-year-and-mvp-in-1969-dies-at-74

Wes Unseld, the workmanlike Hall of Fame center who led Washington to its only NBA championship and was chosen one of the 50 greatest players in league history, died Tuesday after a series of health issues, most recently pneumonia. He was 74.

Unseld’s family announced his death via a statement released by the Washington Wizards, the franchise he was with throughout his entire 13-season playing career and also worked for as a coach and general manager.

“Those of us who were fortunate enough to spend time with Wes knew him as a generous and thoughtful man whose strong will was matched only by his passion and drive for uplifting others,” current Wizards GM Tommy Sheppard said. “His physical prowess, undeniable talent and on-court demeanor may have struck fear in opponents throughout the NBA, but he will be remembered best as a mentor, leader and friend.”

A five-time All-Star and, along with Wilt Chamberlain, one of only two players to win NBA Rookie of the Year and MVP honors in the same season, Unseld instantly made the team then known as the Baltimore Bullets into a winner after he was taken with the No. 2 overall pick — behind future teammate Elvin Hayes — in the 1968 draft.

A decade later, Unseld was the MVP of the 1978 NBA Finals as the Bullets beat the Seattle SuperSonics in a seven-game series best known for Washington coach Dick Motta’s proclamation: “The opera ain’t over until the fat lady sings."

Listed at 6-foot-7 and 245 pounds, Unseld overcame taller players and bad knees with a strong work ethic and lots of grunt work in the paint. He was a tenacious rebounder and strong passer.

Unseld was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1988, his first year of eligibility.

“I never played pretty,” Unseld said on the day he was elected. “I wasn’t flashy. My contributions were in the things most people don’t notice. They weren’t in high scoring or dunking or behind-the-back passes.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rest in Peace.

At 6'7" Wes Unseld played center.

Basketball Hall of Fame center Wes Unseld, who overcame a lack of size with a bruising style of play and court vision to earn five All-Star bids and carry the then-Bullets franchise to its only championship, died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 74.

"It is with profound sadness that we share that our adored husband, father and grandfather Wes Unseld passed away peacefully this morning surrounded by family following lengthy health battles, most recently with pneumonia," said the family's statement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...center-who-played-bullets-dies-74/5316630002/

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, I just saw this on CBS Sports website. Very sad... one of the iconic players of the 1960s/1970s. RIP.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was hoping Oliver Miller could have followed the same path.

So much potential. Good feet and good passer could’ve really been problem in the league. Looks like we cut bait at the right time.

You must be registered for see images attach

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"Hey Oliver, what did you do before you put your jersey on?"
"Eight."
"And what did you do after you took it off?"
"Eight."
"How about while you were wearing it?"
"Eight."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I despised him, which is just another way of saying I despised that he wasn't on the Suns. RIP Wes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much potential. Good feet and good passer could’ve really been problem in the league. Looks like we cut bait at the right time.

He could have been such a talent.

I will always remember Miller's pass to Charles Barkley with .5 second left to win the Portland game.

The video is not very good.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the loss of Wes Unseld. Sharing the power positions of C and PF with the 'Big E' Elvin Hayes,
utilizing the best skills of each -- Unseld's bulk and Hayes' height -- brought out the best in both of them.

Unseld was like Barkley on the court. Outplayed his height limitation with his wide body.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The man could chest pass an outlet the full court. ROTY and NBA MVP same year. Only he and Wilt ever accomplished this feat.

His rookie year roster 1968 Baltimore Bullets

Wes Unseld HOF
Jack Marin
Kevin Loughery
Earl Monroe - HOF
Gus Johnson - HOF

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The man could chest pass an outlet the full court. ROTY and NBA MVP same year. Only he and Wilt ever accomplished this feat.

His rookie year roster 1968 Baltimore Bullets

Wes Unseld HOF
Jack Marin
Kevin Loughery
Earl Monroe - HOF
Gus Johnson - HOF
I saw a show once when I was a kid, and Wes used to do this two hand overheard pass and he was super accurate with it. The interviewer said there was a rumor he could stand by the basket at one end and overheard pass the ball off the backboard at the other end. He said sure. Then he did it! That always stuck with me.