Rewatched Kyler's worst games coaches film(Steelers/Rams)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Rams game was the only game you've seen of him you'd think the Cardinals would need to draft a QB.

I counted about 5 TD passes he missed (about 3 of them were on the same drive).

Steelers game was a defense playing at a extremely high level and Kyler not being able to make big time plays. He missed a couple TDs as well. However, some seemed like throws a vet would make.

Idk what happened on the bye week. However, it was abysmal.

He has no trust (especially those games) in his interior Oline.

I've basically rewatched all the games (what else is there to do?). He missed some passes/tds as well. I have no accuracy concerns with Kyler. His arm level is top 5 imo. However, pocket presence and vision have a long way to go.

The problem now is that he usually spins outside or he drops his eyes anytime he sees Sweezy or Shipley give up pressure. So he drops his eyes and shoulders and becomes about 5'6" and cant see guys breaking free.

I wish I could post screenshots of it. I think talent wise he can be one of the better QBs in the league. However, going forward Keim really has to improve the interior of the Oline.

I'd also like to say I was too harsh on Kliff during the season. Guys were open. I also think Andy Isabella deserves another chance. Not playing the latter part of the season may stem from a lack of trust and not overall play. Then again that could stem from practice. However, the guy got open a number of times and never saw the football.

The major point being that if Kyler doesnt trust that interior Oline or improve his pocket presence then we might not see the huge jump in offense we are hoping for. Its why I kinda wish he had the Dak Prescott luxury of an elite interior Oline so he could gradually improve his pocket presence.

Last edited:

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great write up, I really hope Isabella, Kliff and Kyler can figure it out because if they do. It can be a dynamic part of the offensive.

This speaks to Kurt's and Carson's conversation where Kyler left a lot of plays, easy plays, out on the field.

Thats going to be key more than anything. Can he recognize these situations going into next year so he can be the drop and throw on time to the right guy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
His pocket presence is easily bottom 10 in the league, but he did improve slightly over the course of the season. His discomfort in the pocket is also the big reason why his vision was so inconsistent...especially on the deep throws. If he can improve that area of his game, at least to league average, then he’ll have a very successful career.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His lack of confidence in the line is a significant problem. But I couldn't blame him last year. If I had the wheels, I'd be taking off like that too.

Let's hope Mason Cole takes a big leap.
True, but he needs to keep his eyes upfield more when taking off. Teams seemed to catch on to his tendency to scramble right (an issue Baker Mayfield developed last year).

Also he needs more calm/craft to his scrambles because thats what puts fear in teams against Mahomes and Wilson. Mahomes seems under control and able to fire the football at at moment. Wilson seems to scramble based on where he knows the WR will be. Lamar Jackson has enough shake and bake to make defenders hesitate as well. As of now Kyler's scrambles become a bit limited. Hopefully he'll improve in that area though.
Great write up, I really hope Isabella, Kliff and Kyler can figure it out because if they do. It can be a dynamic part of the offensive.

This speaks to Kurt's and Carson's conversation where Kyler left a lot of plays, easy plays, out on the field.

Thats going to be key more than anything. Can he recognize these situations going into next year so he can be the drop and throw on time to the right guy
Glass half empty he has poor pocket presence. Glass half full he's one of the best deep ball passers in the NFL. Can you imagine how good he'd be if he recognized when guys are open more? Time will tell.
His pocket presence is easily bottom 10 in the league, but he did improve slightly over the course of the season. His discomfort in the pocket is also the big reason why his vision was so inconsistent...especially on the deep throws. If he can improve that area of his game, at least to league average, then he’ll have a very successful career.
Agreed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
True, but he needs to keep his eyes upfield more when taking off. Teams seemed to catch on to his tendency to scramble right (an issue Baker Mayfield developed last year).

Also he needs more calm/craft to his scrambles because thats what puts fear in teams against Mahomes and Wilson. Mahomes seems under control and able to fire the football at at moment. Wilson seems to scramble based on where he knows the WR will be. Lamar Jackson has enough shake and bake to make defenders hesitate as well. As of now Kyler's scrambles become a bit limited. Hopefully he'll improve in that area though.
I think it was totally unfair to him. Some people laud the success of the OL last year, but I think he did a superb job saving their stat line.

I don't want him to replicate Mahomes or Wilson - I think he has a different style. The way he kinda "trots" on the move is unique to him, but hard to read. Maybe not perfect for evasiveness in the backfield or running like Lamar Jackson can, but I think a unique look.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the Rams game was the only game you've seen of him you'd think the Cardinals would need to draft a QB.

I counted about 5 TD passes he missed (about 3 of them were on the same drive).

Steelers game was a defense playing at a extremely high level and Kyler not being able to make big time plays. He missed a couple TDs as well. However, some seemed like throws a vet would make.

Idk what happened on the bye week. However, it was abysmal.

He has no trust (especially those games) in his interior Oline.

I've basically rewatched all the games (what else is there to do?). He missed some passes/tds as well. I have no accuracy concerns with Kyler. His arm level is top 5 imo. However, pocket presence and vision have a long way to go.

The problem now is that he usually spins outside or he drops his eyes anytime he sees Sweezy or Shipley give up pressure. So he drops his eyes and shoulders and becomes about 5'6" and cant see guys breaking free.

I wish I could post screenshots of it. I think talent wise he can be one of the better QBs in the league. However, going forward Keim really has to improve the interior of the Oline.

I'd also like to say I was too harsh on Kliff during the season. Guys were open. I also think Andy Isabella deserves another chance. Not playing the latter part of the season may stem from a lack of trust and not overall play. Then again that could stem from practice. However, the guy got open a number of times and never saw the football.

The major point being that if Kyler doesnt trust that interior Oline or improve his pocket presence then we might not see the huge jump in offense we are hoping for. Its why I kinda wish he had the Dak Prescott luxury of an elite interior Oline so he could gradually improve his pocket presence.

Is it trust or is it because he can't handle the pressure? We need to remember he really didn't face pressure all that much in college and the offense was designed to create a deep/wide pocket for him with good lanes for vision. You don't get those luxuries in the NFL. Everyone is just so much better at the NFL level and the margin of error is much smaller. If you want to run a 4WR set over 50% of the time you either need an exceptional Oline and a good blocking RB or it just isn't going to work on a consistent basis. At some point Murray is going to have to stand up and take some hits in order to make some completions. This is what Warner and Palmer, I believe are referring to.

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe, Warner talked about seeing the 9 yard curl route - the easy stuff to keep the "franchise" out of harm's way.
He has a bunch of talent with very little play time experience.
He's no Rosen, but he'll improve.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His lack of confidence in the line is a significant problem. But I couldn't blame him last year. If I had the wheels, I'd be taking off like that too.

Let's hope Mason Cole takes a big leap.
I'm with you on that. Cole had his shot to beat out Shipley in 2019 & couldn't do it, after starting in 2018 with all that experience gained, in a MM crappy offense at that. Shipley held up in 2019 but did allow some pressure to blind Murray at his height, causing him to take off. Murray did cause some sacks, but escaped some with his wheels. The IOL does need to get better & that starts with the Center, not only do they have to keep the middle clean, they have to make all the blocking calls. Mason Cole has to do a good job in order for the OL to be better in 2020. Let's hope that happens?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose