The hot sauce thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the COVID-19 thread and do nto see a hot sauce dedication thread so throwing it here too. I and some friends at work carry a massive amount of hot sauces over the years. We were doing the hot sauce challenges way before hot ones got their start. There are a LOT of hot sauces out there. in my opinion, the majority are the same old vinegar and peppers and make it super hot while the flavor lacks type of sauces. Heat is important but flavor is a bigger deal IMO

for time purposes, rather than listing a bunch of different premium picks, I will just talk about Marie Sharps. I have deemed her "the queen of belize" and my lady friend knows I will happily be her sugar baby if I ever meet her. Her photo is on the bottles. She is an older, grandma looking mexican woman but she makes the best hot sauce in the world and because of that, I am all hers.

Anyway, here is the starter kit I recommend to change your hot sauce life:

Don't bother trying to find it local, maybe asian markets or something but I just use heat hot sauce and it works great.

Here all all her listings when you search her on there, it looks less robust right now probably because of logistic issues: https://heathotsauce.com/collections/marie-sharps

The four must have sauces are:

Green Nopal Habanero (cactus): https://heathotsauce.com/collections/marie-sharps/products/green-habanero-prickly-pear-pepper-sauce This was my OG favorite for a long time. It used to be the one I would have 4 of at a time.

Mango Habanero https://heathotsauce.com/collections/marie-sharps/products/marie-sharps-pure-mango-habanero This one I like on chips. its not hot, sweet and delicious. I mostly only eat it on chips but I am sure it is good on other stuff

Garlic Habanero https://heathotsauce.com/collections/marie-sharps/products/marie-sharps-habanero-garlic This is a new flavor and might be my favotire already. BOMB.

Hot Habanero https://heathotsauce.com/collections/marie-sharps/products/hot-habanero-pepper-sauce this is the primary sauce. Carrot blend. AMAZING. There are many other versions of this she sells that are hotter, this one is hot enough. Belizian heat is the same but hotter. BEWARE is the same but way hotter. Start with this.

The green, red and garlic are good on everything. Eggs, meats, chips, whatever.

I just found a pineapple flavor that is new. Totally about to buy some more garlic, a pineapple one to try and to replenish my green and carrot blends as they are almost empty.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
amazon charges more per bottle. I am a loyal amazon shopper and I do not buy marie sharps on amazon. The website I use is fantastic and I highly recommend it. Do not overpay on Amazon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't bookmark this stuff quick enough. The mango and pineapple sauces sound especially good.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't bookmark this stuff quick enough. The mango and pineapple sauces sound especially good.
I cannot verify the pineapple but I can next week when it arrives. The Mango is very good and I am not a mango salsa guy, its just amazing anyway. It is not very hot, in fact I eat it when my mouth is on fire to cool it down.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot verify the pineapple but I can next week when it arrives. The Mango is very good and I am not a mango salsa guy, its just amazing anyway. It is not very hot, in fact I eat it when my mouth is on fire to cool it down.

Look forward to a report on the Marie Sharp's pineapple hot sauce. Maybe I missed it but how did you get introduced to this brand?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look forward to a report on the Marie Sharp's pineapple hot sauce. Maybe I missed it but how did you get introduced to this brand?
A buddy found the Nopal one at Lei Leis asian supermarket while looking for new exotic flavors to try

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite is Pita Jungle's Green Sriracha. I put it on almost everything - eggs, pizza, steak, burgers, grilled cheese, mac-n-cheese, rice, ramens, brisket, etc...

https://www.phoenixmag.com/2019/03/31/pita-jungle-sriracha/

($5.99 each) – all nondairy, vegan, non-GMO and gluten-free with natural ingredients.

The green Sriracha, loaded with jalapeños and spiked with lime juice, has proved to be the most popular of the three, Osmani says. “Green chile in the Sonoran Southwest just felt like a perfect match. And it’s good with everything.” All three sauces are available as tableside condiments and can be purchased at any Pita Jungle location.

https://greenlivingaz.com/cool-outrageous-stuff/page/21/
Green Sriracha from Pita Jungle

Green Sriracha sauce is a variant of Pita Jungle’s signature sriracha sauce. Made from jalapeño puree consisting of green jalapeño peppers, salt, and acetic acid, this Siracha’s kick of garlic and lime juice gives it a unique sensation. Medium in spice level, Green sriracha is delicious with pita sandwiches, hummus, or burgers. You can also try Pita Jungle’s Red and Ghost sriracha flavors, which are also non-dairy, vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free. Available at all Pita Jungle restaurants in the Phoenix and Tucson areas. For more locations and more information, visit www.pitajungle.com.

You can order it online at www.pitajungle.com or pick it up at any of their restaurants.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRR, you have piqued my interest with this thread. I love me some pineapple and some mango and I’ve slowly been getting into some spicier foods as of late. So thanks for the recs.

This probably a dumb question but I am just gonna ask it anyway. What do you put these sauces on specifically? I’ve never been a hot sauce person so I don’t normally think to sauce up something lol. I need ideas!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRR, you have piqued my interest with this thread. I love me some pineapple and some mango and I’ve slowly been getting into some spicier foods as of late. So thanks for the recs.

This probably a dumb question but I am just gonna ask it anyway. What do you put these sauces on specifically? I’ve never been a hot sauce person so I don’t normally think to sauce up something lol. I need ideas!
I'm still waiting on delivery to judge the pineapple sauce. I'm reserving optimism as typically the sweeter sauces only work as a marinade or something.

The mango I like on tortilla chips. It might be good on chicken or maybe a chicken and rice dish but I'm unsure.

With red, green and garlic....pretty much anything. Tortilla chips are always what I test everything on but crap...

Eggs, meat, chips, tacos, burritos, nachos....pretty much anything you eat that is salty vs sweet. It all depends on the flavor.

But you can never go wrong with some calidad tortilla chips for like $1.50

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the majority of the hot sauce world is Vinegar and heat. A lot of sauces focus on heat because their base flavor sucks. I find it WAY too often where I buy hot sauce and it tastes like crap but because it is SUPER hot, they get away with it. Not a fan. Most everything I review and suggest will never be a Vinegar primary ingredient blend of hotsauce. its cheap. its lazy. its bland.

Anyway:

For people who like "taco sauce". The best way to describe this to me is the sauce flavor in a jack in the box taco. Its garbage but it tastes good and its because of the taco sauce IMO.

This sauce we got in a pack at one point and it is bombbbbbb. This sauce was not HOT by any means, just flavorful and delicious. It would be amazing on tacos, in chili and is amazing on chips. I am sure it could go on other stuff too.

It's not a ton different than the regular taco sauces, similar profile but has two things going for it:
1) it has better ingredients
2) it is made by firefighters and the proceeds help first responders.

DISCLAIMER:I had the jalapeno blend. Personally, I love jalapeno but Habanero blends are tastier and provide more spice. I would go habanero every time if I reordered.

ALSO: the bottle is big. It takes quite a while to go through it. If you ever order from this website, they will have a "free offer" and send you packets of the sauce so you could even try it without buying it.

https://heathotsauce.com/products/palo-alto-firefighters-jalapeno-pepper-sauce

https://heathotsauce.com/products/palo-alto-firefighters-habanero-pepper-sauce

Enjoy!

Made by an actual retired firefighter from Palo Alto, this sauce is made with fresh jalapenos, paprika, and cumin, making it perfect as a taco sauce or as a base for chili.

Heat Level: Mild

Ingredients: Red jalapeno peppers, water, distilled vinegar, sugar, paprika, spice, xanthan gum.

For usage ideas, check out this blog post on 10 Uses for Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce.

All proceeds go to the Palo Alto Firefighters Charitable Fund.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked for this hot sauce when I was at Fry’s this weekend. They only had two kinds (original and I forget the other one). I decided to just get the original to try it out. I am making stuffed peppers this week and will give the hot sauce a whirl.

I will try to hit up the Asian supermarket next time I head out for groceries to see if they have the mango one or the garlic one. Those are the two I think I will have the best chance of liking.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked for this hot sauce when I was at Fry’s this weekend. They only had two kinds (original and I forget the other one). I decided to just get the original to try it out. I am making stuffed peppers this week and will give the hot sauce a whirl.

I will try to hit up the Asian supermarket next time I head out for groceries to see if they have the mango one or the garlic one. Those are the two I think I will have the best chance of liking.
My new hot sauces came in the mail but they are quarantining in my garage so I made pick de Gallo tonight

Yours is the red one? Carrot blend?

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
A good, not hot but uniquely flavorful pepper sauce is the Original Pepper Plant sauce, their website is here: https://lovepepperplant.com/

I haven't tried their garlic flavor yet. For those in Phoenix, they sell bottles at the Original Breakfast House restaurant at 32nd Street near Thunderbird.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good, not hot but uniquely flavorful pepper sauce is the Original Pepper Plant sauce, their website is here: https://lovepepperplant.com/

I haven't tried their garlic flavor yet. For those in Phoenix, they sell bottles at the Original Breakfast House restaurant at 32nd Street near Thunderbird.
Zero vinegar and the primary ingredient is peppers. I'm intrigued.

https://www.hotsauces.com/pepper-plant-original-hot-sauce-review/