Nico Mannion

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuesday point guard prospect Nico Mannion enters the NBA Draft.

Here is a quote from the CNN article written by Jonathan Givony of ESPN:

Mannion, the No. 14 prospect in the ESPN Top 100, is considered one of the top point guards in this draft class, averaging 14 points and 5.3 assists per game for the Wildcats this season while being named to the All-Pac-12 second team.

The 6-foot-3 playmaker was identified as a standout early in his career. He was invited to three USA Basketball camps as a 15- and 16-year-old before ultimately committing to play for the Italian national team at the U16 European Championship, in which he averaged 20 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists in just 28 minutes. Mannion holds dual citizenship, having been born in Siena, Italy, while his father, Pace Mannion, an NBA draft pick in 1983, was playing professional basketball there.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29007315/arizona-nico-mannion-declares-nba-draft

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video on Mannion.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They are soooooo quick to come out these days. Stay another year and up your draft position, and you'll be money way ahead.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Mannion tends to force some passes and is not the best shooter in world but is there a reason he can't develop in the NBA? He is so young.

Personally I haven't watched Mannion much at all but the short wingspan bothers me the most.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a heads-up again that NBADraft.net has no discernable correlation between the player's draft position and the team he is going to. The fact that he is listed as going to Phoenix is just coincidence, not a true mock draft.

Yeah, it rarely works out where a mock matches a team with a player unless it's an early pick.

Mostly I put up the mocks to show what the sites have to say about a player and get a ballpark idea where they might go in the draft.

The site I currently like the most is Tankathon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, it rarely works out where a mock matches a team with a player unless it's an early pick.

Mostly I put up the mocks to show what the sites have to say about a player and get a ballpark idea where they might go in the draft.

The site I currently like the most is Tankathon.
To be fair, there ARE several sites and articles out there that are true mock drafts, i.e. the author picks for each team based on the team. NBADraft.net is not one of those sites.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know Mannion tends to force some passes and is not the best shooter in world but is there a reason he can't develop in the NBA? He is so young.

Personally I haven't watched Mannion much at all but the short wingspan bothers me the most.

He is an uncoachable, entitled, spoiled brat with zero heart and even less cajones.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He is an uncoachable, entitled, spoiled brat with zero heart and even less cajones.

I’m not sure any of that is true and nobody thought he was a bigger bust than me. He’s just not that talented physically and didn’t have the mental processing we thought. I’m not sure leaving wasn’t the right move because he might’ve lost his job to Akinjo.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
If there has been a big regional recruit of recent years who more fit the label of "overhyped" than Mannion, I don't know who it is. I would be surprised if he amounts to anything more than a journeyman at the NBA level.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m not sure any of that is true and nobody thought he was a bigger bust than me. He’s just not that talented physically and didn’t have the mental processing we thought. I’m not sure leaving wasn’t the right move because he might’ve lost his job to Akinjo.

My son knows him...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If there has been a big regional recruit of recent years who more fit the label of "overhyped" than Mannion, I don't know who it is. I would be surprised if he amounts to anything more than a journeyman at the NBA level.
Journeyman NBA player is actually “making it” when you consider the odds of even playing a single year in the league.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My son knows him...

Knows him or seen him talk trash in High School games? It’s really hard for me to rip a teenager’s character because he struggled. Remember 5* Mr Indiana Basketball Jason Gardner? Look up his Fr numbers...

Nico’s disappointing season had more to do with his ranking and fan’s expectations. If he were a 4* guy barely top-100 we’d be seeing it differently.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't question his balls, he was one of the few Arizona players this year who gave consistent effort. The bigger problem was he kinda sucked. He is a bad shooter, he makes bad decisions with the ball and he thinks he is a better athlete than he really is.

He shouldn't come out this year, the skill set just isn't there. He is going to get buried on an NBA bench and never develop because he isn't good enough to see the court. Kinda like Stanley Johnson.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't question his balls, he was one of the few Arizona players this year who gave consistent effort. The bigger problem was he kinda sucked. He is a bad shooter, he makes bad decisions with the ball and he thinks he is a better athlete than he really is.

He shouldn't come out this year, the skill set just isn't there. He is going to get buried on an NBA bench and never develop because he isn't good enough to see the court. Kinda like Stanley Johnson.
Johnson was a maybe, Nico is not a maybe why the hell wood someone draft him in the first round.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Johnson was a maybe, Nico is not a maybe why the hell wood someone draft him in the first round.

I am not referring to their draft positions so much as saying that Johnson never developed because he couldn't earn minutes and that I expect Mannion will share that fate.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Knows him or seen him talk trash in High School games? It’s really hard for me to rip a teenager’s character because he struggled. Remember 5* Mr Indiana Basketball Jason Gardner? Look up his Fr numbers...

Nico’s disappointing season had more to do with his ranking and fan’s expectations. If he were a 4* guy barely top-100 we’d be seeing it differently.

Knows him personally. He has friends who go/went to Pinnacle, and that group of kids often ran in the same circle as Nico Mannion and his friends. In my son's words, "Nico is a real douche". Of course, I asked him to expand from there...

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knows him personally. He has friends who go/went to Pinnacle, and that group of kids often ran in the same circle as Nico Mannion and his friends. In my son's words, "Nico is a real douche". Of course, I asked him to expand from there...

FWIW, a good friend/fraternity brother's sister went to Santa Clara with Steve Nash, had classes, etc with him. Her description of him was the exact same - a real douche.

Of course Nash benefited from 4 years of college and matured while there.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
FWIW, a good friend/fraternity brother's sister went to Santa Clara with Steve Nash, had classes, etc with him. Her description of him was the exact same - a real douche.

Of course Nash benefited from 4 years of college and matured while there.

Who wouldn’t be if everyone tells you how great you are from a young age? If Nico was simply more talented and productive nobody would care. Mike Bibby was a horse’s ass but he brought home the hardware.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who wouldn’t be if everyone tells you how great you are from a young age? If Nico was simply more talented and productive nobody would care. Mike Bibby was a horse’s ass but he brought home the hardware.

Yup - that was kind of the point - being a douche and being a good player aren't mutually exclusive.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Manion has any indication of being any better than the pg we drafted last year. I will be surprised if he actually makes it to a second contract of any kind.