Phillips Sounds Determined

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Athletic is quoting Jordan Phillips, “Mainly just to show everybody that it wasn’t a one-year thing. I was made for this. I was built for this. And just to let everybody in Arizona know they got the real deal and the defense is going to get back to where it needs to be.” I’m buying this!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It was a good interview. Big guy loves bowling and bowled a 299 game.

He also just had a baby girl the last two weeks.

He said some concerning things around not working out/training properly and that his #1 priority is her safety. I get it but when you are a professional and getting paid 10's of millions of dollars plus you are already a huge human being...I think you have to find a way to do both.

I wonder how much of an issue this will be with a lot of players.

This will also stunt rookie growth IMO. Might mean we are more willing to take a player that will not be an immediate starter this year (more upside/thinking about 2021).

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He said some concerning things around not working out/training properly and that his #1 priority is her safety. I get it but when you are a professional and getting paid 10's of millions of dollars plus you are already a huge human being...I think you have to find a way to do both.

This will also stunt rookie growth IMO. Might mean we are more willing to take a player that will not be an immediate starter this year (more upside/thinking about 2021).

Unless you have a home gym it's a problem, and this would be particularly true for "rookies" who use school or private gyms and weight rooms.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a home gym complete with a squat rack, barbell and bench and I'm not a millionaire.

Sure and so do I.

But, imagine trying to buy all the pieces and have it delivered during a pandemic.

Point is: Most of these guys are used to training at school, team facilities or private gyms and they're not available.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure and so do I.

But, imagine trying to buy all the pieces and have it delivered during a pandemic.

Point is: Most of these guys are used to training at school, team facilities or private gyms and they're not available.

you can’t unless you want to pay a poo ton in price gauging that’s occurring right now

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

so with everything going on in the world you take exception with him saying his number 1 priority is the safety of his daughter?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so with everything going on in the world you take exception with him saying his number 1 priority is the safety of his daughter?

If he said anything different I would be concerned. It would mean he was most likely just giving lip service.

Everyone should be making their family their top priority right now!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

LOL...I guess you didn't read this part: "I think you have to find a way to do both"

There are people with small kids/infants right now working minimum wage jobs and others who are on the front lines saving lives.

I never said don't protect your kids.

My point is your a millionaire and all you have to do is find a way to workout? Have someone deliver a big tire to your house, buy some gym equipment, run the neighborhood, etc.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL...I guess you didn't read this part: "I think you have to find a way to do both"

There are people with small kids/infants right now working minimum wage jobs and others who are on the front lines saving lives.

I never said don't protect your kids.

My point is your a millionaire and all you have to do is find a way to workout? Have someone deliver a big tire to your house, buy some gym equipment, run the neighborhood, etc.

I don’t care what his financial position is. Don’t forget these athletes are fathers/husbands and Men before anything. It’s easy to dehumanize these guys because of the helmets and uniforms you don’t really see there faces out there. People think they should eat and sleep football.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
Via PFT, a quote from Jordan:

Defensive tackle Jordan Phillips had 5.5 sacks over his first four NFL seasons, so his 9.5-sack season for the Bills in 2019 came as something of a surprise.

Phillips also had 13 tackles for loss and 16 quarterback hits and parleyed that big season into a three-year, $30 million deal with the Cardinals last month.

“A lot of people think it was some miracle or I was playing for a contract, etcetera, but I had more of an opportunity,” Phillips said, via the team’s website. “It was the first time in my career being on the third down group. . . . Buffalo did a really good job utilizing my talents, and they reaped the benefits of it.”

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

If they are making millions, they could easily install a workout room in their home to keep in shape. Really no excuse for that.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I really hope I’m wrong but I just don’t have a good feeling about this guy. i’ve seen a bunch of tape where he just gets pushed all over the place or just is not in the play at all. I really think his production last year was because of Ed Oliver and the rest of the bills defense. He also seems to think he has arrived, it’s just that other teams haven’t noticed. I am worried that he won’t put in the work needed. “they reaped the benefits” bothers me. You just got paid, seems like you reaped the benefits.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t care what his financial position is. Don’t forget these athletes are fathers/husbands and Men before anything. It’s easy to dehumanize these guys because of the helmets and uniforms you don’t really see there faces out there. People think they should eat and sleep football.
But the truth is, to protect his baby girl all he has to do is stay quarantined. That means he most likely can workout . . . a lot. It’s a baby. It doesn’t take a ton of attention all day. It eats, poops, and sleeps right now. And this guy doesn’t have to worry about getting up and going to a nine to five. He can workout at home. And for those worrying about price gouging, this a dude who just landed $10M/yr. he can afford an overpriced workout set.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really hope I’m wrong but I just don’t have a good feeling about this guy. i’ve seen a bunch of tape where he just gets pushed all over the place or just is not in the play at all. I really think his production last year was because of Ed Oliver and the rest of the bills defense. He also seems to think he has arrived, it’s just that other teams haven’t noticed. I am worried that he won’t put in the work needed. “they reaped the benefits” bothers me. You just got paid, seems like you reaped the benefits.
Was Phillips & Ed Oliver even on the field at the same time much? All the highlights I saw of Phillips was either being on the field without Oliver or being on the sideline cheering while Oliver was playing. Not saying you're wrong, just what I observed from his mix tape when we signed him.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

???

Ed Oliver - #1 pick - they split snaps almost evenly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose