Pro Sports Commissioners, President to have conference call today

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Commissioners from most of the professional sports leagues in the country are scheduled to have a phone call with Trump Saturday at 12 p.m. ET, including NBA commissioner Adam Silver, according to the White House. The details of the meeting are unknown, but it will in all likelihood be about the coronavirus and how it has impacted sports leagues across the Country

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't pay in full for our Cards' seats just in case the season is delayed, shortened, or canceled. Sucks not knowing right now, but this is the new normal.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great. ... welp the virus has officially ruined everything

Can't even get a hc now lol

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
, but it will in all likelihood be about the coronavirus and how it has impacted sports leagues across the Country

I am of the thought that this will be a discussion on alternatives for "normal" schedules and games for when the masses Cabin fever reaches scary levels. Distractions are needed and sports is ingrained in so many's lives. Searching for some good news for the masses.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...tedly-hopes-to-have-fans-back-by-aug-or-sept/

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA, NHL and world soccer leagues are over this season. MLB is about another month away from cancellation. NFL should be ok.

So by August we'll have gone from the way the world is now with social distancing to gatherings of thousands of people rubbing shoulders with one another in confined spaces like nothing ever happened? :shrug:

Remains to be seen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So by August we'll have gone from the way the world is now with social distancing to gatherings of thousands of people rubbing shoulders with one another in confined spaces like nothing ever happened? :shrug:

Remains to be seen.

Quite possibly. But even if people won't be at the games, the games will still be able to be played without an audience.

Every countries curve has been around 3 months or so. The real question though is how strongly will it bounce back when people go back to work, and will it be able to be contained.

I am very optimistic this is going to be mostly over by the end of May.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NBA, NHL and world soccer leagues are over this season. MLB is about another month away from cancellation. NFL should be ok.
Nah, the summer will slow down the virus but when the fall comes and it get colder, the virus will spike back up.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So no more stadiums, arenas, concerts, sports ever again?

Did you miss the first three words? "So by August..." Never implied ever again. Just curious how quickly events with crowds will return. As a season ticket holder who attends all of the home games, saying the "NFL should be okay." means butts in the seats and not televising crowd-less games.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am of the thought that this will be a discussion on alternatives for "normal" schedules and games for when the masses Cabin fever reaches scary levels. Distractions are needed and sports is ingrained in so many's lives. Searching for some good news for the masses.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...tedly-hopes-to-have-fans-back-by-aug-or-sept/
playing with empty stadiums is a great option IMO if we are not full operational by September. Basketball games could be played with less than 100 people in the stadium and would be a hgue relief for americans stuck at home. This obviously cannot heppen yet but if things start to level out in June, we could do things like this potentially.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe they can just custom fit heavy duty n95-type masks under the helmets, mandate visors, and test players before games if they’re not on a shortage by then of course? No crowds possibly, but simulated noise? Lots of time to figure this out, but I’d imagine it can never be 100% safe until vaccine and no guarantee when that’ll be widely available. Have to arrive the at the “new normal” sooner than later :shrug:

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
America is not going to go through this all the way until September. We are not going to wait until a vaccine is created and vetted through the bureaucratic approval process to go back to business. I can’t wait until the NFL kicks off the regular season in September

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
America is not going to go through this all the way until September. We are not going to wait until a vaccine is created and vetted through the bureaucratic approval process to go back to business. I can’t wait until the NFL kicks off the regular season in September

America doesn't dictate to a virus.

The NFL or its fans won't be dictating when the season opens.

Every Governor of a state with an NFL team will have to sign off and that won't be done without the approval of the state's chief medical officer.

That said - I hope you're right!

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The instant a single player tests positive pre-vaccine, the league will shut down. Not the time for half-measures.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
America doesn't dictate to a virus.

The NFL or its fans won't be dictating when the season opens.

Every Governor of a state with an NFL team will have to sign off and that won't be done without the approval of the state's chief medical officer.

That said - I hope you're right!

Let’s hope I am right too! I really do feel like America is equipped to handle this like no other country. Here’s to hoping we beat this thing sooner than later. Can’t think of a better way to celebrate the end of this horrible thing than good old American Football

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s hope I am right too! I really do feel like America is equipped to handle this like no other country. Here’s to hoping we beat this thing sooner than later. Can’t think of a better way to celebrate the end of this horrible thing than good old American Football

A treatment will come before a vaccine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose