Let’s Talk About Drake

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would rather sign Devonta Freeman on the cheap before I waste a draft pick on a RB. Only 27 and may not have a ton of suitors.

Freeman, Hyde, Lamar Miller, Shady, & Ty Montgomery are all still out there I think. None are great, but they wont break the bank either.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Chris Thompson, Theo Riddick, Frank Gore, Spencer Ware, DeAndre Washington, Wendell Smallwood, Corey Clement, and many more......

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
So why draft a player in the 2nd or even 3rd round if they’re only going to be on the team for 3-4 years since you’re nervous to sign that 2nd contract?

Aim for OL/DL or pretty much any position that’s not RB who will stick for at least a 2nd contract.
That’s a good point and all things being equal, I’d take the other position. But a stud RB for 5 years, if he’s a 1st rounder, can be a great addition to the offense and difference maker.

A perfect example is, I think TB should draft Swift in round 1. He’d be their missing piece on offense and a perfect fit.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We don't have the money to sign the guys listed, and all older RBs are pretty much awful choices for additional contracts. Not to mention that older backs don't contribute on special teams.

I can't understand the hate, but I assume it's tied into people thinking Kenyan Drake is gonna be Marshall Faulk or something.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Matt Judon was just franchised! He was a 5th rounder somewhere in the 140's IIRC. That's what is possible!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We don't have the money to sign the guys listed, and all older RBs are pretty much awful choices for additional contracts. Not to mention that older backs don't contribute on special teams.

I can't understand the hate, but I assume it's tied into people thinking Kenyan Drake is gonna be Marshall Faulk or something.

You expect these guys to all cost more than a mil per season? Because I dont. Washington, Riddick, Clement, and Abdullah all would play ST's.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You expect these guys to all cost more than a mil per season? Because I dont. Washington, Riddick, Clement, and Abdullah all would play ST's.
Outside of Washington, all of those guys are done. I wouldn't have them on my roster for free, because they barely contribute on the field.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dalvin Cook didn't make a difference this year? Christian McCaffery?

You're off your rocker on this one. Horrible take.

What round of the Playoffs did Barkley and McCaffery make it to?

Oh I remember, the same round the Cardinals did.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Terrible logic. You wouldn’t want McCafferey or Barkley on the Cards?

Barkley had a rookie QB on a bad team and Carolina had an undrafted QB starting the majority of the year.

opposite take, Derrick Henry took Tennessee to the AFC championship.

A good RB makes a difference. It’s all about situations.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

They were pretty much all their teams had amidst a rookie & injured QB, and the end of Cam Newton. You think either of those teams are wishing "gee, sure wish we had just signed some UDFAs or Lamar Miller instead?"

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get it Solar, We have 6-7 glaring needs on this team... You think RB is near the front of the line, I think we have 2 MORE than serviceable RB's on the roster, with far more glaring needs via draft.

Serviceable RB's are a dime a dozen, You're acting like we have nothing but a few UDFA scrubs manning the position currently!

You think RB is a glaring need, I (along with a majority of the board) Think there are far bigger needs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I get it Solar, We have 6-7 glaring needs on this team... You think RB is near the front of the line, I think we have 2 MORE than serviceable RB's on the roster, with far more glaring needs via draft.

Serviceable RB's are a dime a dozen, You're acting like we have nothing but a few UDFA scrubs manning the position currently!

You think RB is a glaring need, I (along with a majority of the board) Think there are far bigger needs.
Realize I'm saying to invest a pick in rounds 3-4, not that we need to absolutely do whatever we can to acquire a 2nd round pick and take Dobbins or something.

The fact of the matter is, more impactful RBs come out of this area of the draft than other positions.

I don't see a third-fourth round OL/ILB/DL/CB/whatever needs you're addressing, coming in and having enough impact on this team in year one to be a starter or even contribute all that regularly, which is the issue.

However, every single year, an RB comes in from these rounds and has an impact on their team, because the position has been devalued a bit.

Now, yes, part of this has to do with the fact that I'm not high on Edmonds or Drake in the least, but it's more about maximizing the impact on the roster in the relative short term. I'm not sure what 6-7 glaring holes you're focused on, but I'd be interested to hear which you think can be completely solved by a pick from the third on.

Most importantly, when identifying those spots, are we just creating more of a logjam by adding more guys? I'm looking for clear upgrades, so I'm probably not taking a WR in the 4th over an RB when we've already invested in multiple guys recently who have just as good of a shot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We have 2 picks in the first three rounds. And only four in the first four rounds. Using one on the least important position on the entire field is foolish to me when they (at best) will be our #2 but more probably our #3 RB. I say again..... The least important position on the field.

If more comes out regarding some sort of rift between the team and Drake..... Maybe in the 4th or 5th round. But right now I have to believe that some sort of long term deal is in the works to reduce that 8mm cap figure he has.

#fakenews

Running backs are really important. It's just that they dont last long. Draft a good one and wear him out and then move on.

It's ironic you say RB isnt important and yet you advocate taking an ILB really high.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Realize I'm saying to invest a pick in rounds 3-4, not that we need to absolutely do whatever we can to acquire a 2nd round pick and take Dobbins or something.

The fact of the matter is, more impactful RBs come out of this area of the draft than other positions.

I don't see a third-fourth round OL/ILB/DL/CB/whatever needs you're addressing, coming in and having enough impact on this team in year one to be a starter or even contribute all that regularly, which is the issue.

However, every single year, an RB comes in from these rounds and has an impact on their team, because the position has been devalued a bit.

Now, yes, part of this has to do with the fact that I'm not high on Edmonds or Drake in the least, but it's more about maximizing the impact on the roster in the relative short term. I'm not sure what 6-7 glaring holes you're focused on, but I'd be interested to hear which you think can be completely solved by a pick from the third on.

Most importantly, when identifying those spots, are we just creating more of a logjam by adding more guys? I'm looking for clear upgrades, so I'm probably not taking a WR in the 4th over an RB when we've already invested in multiple guys recently who have just as good of a shot.

I agree with everything but your take on Drake and Edmonds. Both are good football players, but a team should be 3 deep at RB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
#fakenews

Running backs are really important. It's just that they dont last long. Draft a good one and wear him out and then move on.

It's ironic you say RB isnt important and yet you advocate taking an ILB really high.

We.... as a collective defense gave up the 2nd most prolific year in the history of the TE position.

96 receptions
1148 yards
16 TD's

Only one Gronk season was better than that.

Then you have Simmons. The unicorn of unicorns. I don't need to defend that.

RB as a position is important. But the player itself, is as interchangeable as your car battery.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We.... as a collective defense gave up the 2nd most prolific year in the history of the TE position.

96 receptions
1148 yards
16 TD's

RB as a position is important. But the player itself, is as interchangeable as your car battery.
Is that because of personnel or is it really because of scheme?

Why is it that Vance Joseph’s defenses have had trouble covering TEs literally every where he has coached?

Why did Denver become much better covering TEs despite having almost identical personnel last season compared to the previous two?

Why were we even a lot better covering TEs with Wilks than we are with Vance?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Is that because of personnel or is it really because of scheme? Both, but mostly our personnel.

Why is it that Vance Joseph’s defenses have had trouble covering TEs literally every where he has coached? Most 3-4 defenses without true coverage LBers have issues. We had prolific, mega-issues.

Why did Denver become much better covering TEs despite having almost identical personnel last season compared to the previous two? Chris Harris was forced to play outside when their CBs (Callahan & Bausby) got hurt. Yet they still finished in the top third in passing yards allowed. And were top 5 in October when the CBs got hurt.

Why were we even a lot better covering TEs with Wilks than we are with Vance? 1. 4-3 defense clogs up the middle a bit more. 2. Our defense was horrible everywhere.

Answers in RED.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

96 receptions
1148 yards
16 TD's

I think the dream of Simmons died when the Cardinals signed Campbell. The way his contract is structured, they can rework it with ease and sign him long term if he plays well in this defense.

Keim isnt the type of GM to sign a name player in free agency and then use a high pick on the same position. The Cardinals tend to telegraph what they are going to do to a certain extent.

Their current roster breakdown indicates they will either go OL or DL.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#fakenews

Every two years tossing a round 3 round or later pick at a RB isn't a bad option at all. Keeps all the backs on rookie deals. Just snatch up value and invest in offensive line

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no problem investing in a RB in the 4th round.

I say Darrynton Evans in the 4th. Speed Kills!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think the dream of Simmons died when the Cardinals signed Campbell. The way his contract is structured, they can rework it with ease and sign him long term if he plays well in this defense.

Keim isnt the type of GM to sign a name player in free agency and then use a high pick on the same position. The Cardinals tend to telegraph what they are going to do to a certain extent.

Their current roster breakdown indicates they will either go OL or DL.
Fact of the matter is that Campbell is only signed for 1 season and not only is Simmons going to be better than him he would also be on a rookie contract for the next 4 years. Campbell is not going to be a big factor whatsoever as to whether or not the go with Simmons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose